NCL CAN REQUIRE VACCINE PASSPORTS, Judge Rules

Sthrngary

As long as it means they can sail, with 100% vaccinated, and without getting 5000 dollar fines for doing it, it is a huge win for them.  Sort out the rest of the case later (if there is a later, things are changing every day).

• Like 15

I agree with the judge. NCL is a private business and can make any requirements that don’t violate the bill of rights. We are booked on the RCCL AOS on the 21st and are considering canceling because of the masking requirements being imposed. NCL has publicly advertised no mask cruising on these trips.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, WillandTam said:

I agree with the judge. NCL is a private business and can make any requirements that don’t violate the bill of rights. We are booked on the RCCL AOS on the 21st and are considering canceling because of the masking requirements being imposed. NCL has publicly advertised no mask cruising on these trips.

NCL is following country and/or port requirements with respect to masking, so some cruises do have mask requirements. Changing daily, depends on your cruise itinerary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

NCL is following country and/or port requirements with respect to masking, so some cruises do have mask requirements. Changing daily, depends on your cruise itinerary.

I don't believe this is about mask requirements.  It's about the 100% vax requirement, which can alleviate the need for masks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WillandTam said:

Sailings in Europe are also being advertised as not requiring a mask but so far all the cruises out of Athens have had to mask up because of local restrictions, I expect it to be the same going from Spain or Italy because of the local requirements here too

These cruises are also 100% vaccinated 

This was a no brainer.  Case law has always allowed private business owners operate their business the best way they can to keep their staff and customers safe.  No one is forcing anyone to cruise NCL. You are free to start your own unvaccinated cruise line if you wish.  But please keep the centralized state interfering in businesses protecting their customers.  Have we forgotten that to travel to many foreign countries require vaccines.  This is not new.

No shoes.  No shirt. No vaccine  No service

This is a huge win for the entire cruise industry and for public health.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 24

Currently on Viking Orion’s Bermuda Escape cruise … 100% vaccinated and mask wearing enforced when walking in public areas, but can take off when sitting down. It’s not bad really and we prefer wearing masks than not when walking around. 

Reason: news that vaccinated ppl can catch covid and can spread to others while being asymptotic. Ppl get negative PCR pre-travel tests but are vulnerable while traveling to the ship. 

Viking uses VeriFLY and we downloaded the app to upload our vaccine certificates and details. Some airlines use it as well. So I reckon NCL might use it or something similar so ppl can upload before their cruise. Once your stuff is uploaded they are verified as acceptable or not. 

It’s great to be back on a ship, so try not to let the mask wearing bother you. Better be safe than sorry (and get kicked off ship to quarantine). 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, WillandTam said:

RCCL AOS

Just a tip for the future - Royal has THREE ships that can be abbreviated as 'AOS', you might consider specifying.  I'll include what I believe are Royal's official designations.

Anthem - AN

Allure - AL

Adventure - AD

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Currently on Viking Orion’s Bermuda Escape cruise … 100% vaccinated and mask wearing enforced when walking in public areas, but can take off when sitting down. It’s not bad really and we prefer wearing masks than not when walking around. 

Reason: news that vaccinated ppl can catch covid and can spread to others while being asymptotic. Ppl get negative PCR pre-travel tests but are vulnerable while traveling to the ship. 

Viking uses VeriFLY and we downloaded the app to upload our vaccine certificates and details. Some airlines use it as well. So I reckon NCL might use it or something similar so ppl can upload before their cruise. Once your stuff is uploaded they are verified as acceptable or not. 

It’s great to be back on a ship, so try not to let the mask wearing bother you. Better be safe than sorry (and get kicked off ship to quarantine). 

The wearing of masks does bother me to the point that I will not cruise on a ship where masks are required.  I am vaccinated.

• Like 2

Forgot to add to my post …

here on Viking Orion we have to give saliva sample into tube each morning to be tested. There is a Laboratory on board with 3 techs to test all the saliva samples. No covid on this cruise but there was one case in June and the person and roommate were off loaded and sent to quarantine hotel. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

here on Viking Orion we have to give saliva sample into tube each morning to be tested. There is a Laboratory on board with 3 techs to test all the saliva samples. No covid on this cruise but there was one case in June and the person and roommate were off loaded and sent to quarantine hotel. 

I saw that on a YouTube influencer's video.  Very interesting.

I'm excited about this ruling but also cautiously optimistic. If Florida files an appeal, it could jeopardize NCL's vaccination requirement and all bets are off. We still have 41 days to go before our cruise and I'm not assuming ANYTHING until I'm actually on the ship.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Again, forgot to add that it was Day 4 test that the person tested positive. 

So ppl are vulnerable when traveling to ship after the negative pre-travel test. The D variant is another s**t that is hitting the fan ….

15 minutes ago, Kflynn1120 said:

With current recommendations coming down from CDC and other government bodies, 100% vaccines won’t prevent mask wearing now or in the future, so this isn’t necessarily the win it once was.

Current guidance is that vaccinated people should wear masks indoors in areas of high transmission. I think it's safe to say that a 100% vaccinated cruise, where everyone was tested before boarding, would NOT be an area of high transmission.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The wearing of masks does bother me to the point that I will not cruise on a ship where masks are required.  I am vaccinated.

Yep...that's the major reason I'm not seriously looking at Viking right now.  Mask wearing is a non-starter.

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Again, forgot to add that it was Day 4 test that the person tested positive. 

So ppl are vulnerable when traveling to ship after the negative pre-travel test. The D variant is another s**t that is hitting the fan ….

Yes it is.  After seeing the hundreds of thousands in Chicago for the music festival.  All of which had to be vaccinated, not seeing masks much and know how very strong the delta is; there will be out breaks that can be attributed to that for sure.  I only bring this up because we never should stop using good business judgement.  I am going on a cruise in two weeks. It is going to the Bahamas. I am leaving from Miami Florida.  I live in the state of Alabama which as the lowest vaccination rate in the country.  

For the last weeks and until I get on the ship, I have stayed away from almost everyone.  I have double masked and covered my eyes.  I will do the same during my travel my cruise.  One the cruise which is mostly fully vaccinated, with several covid test that have to come up negative prior to the cruise.  The odds are better for me there then in my grocery store back home.  I will gladly take that risk and enjoy every second.  Know your risks, don't jeopardize others, and then deal with the consequences.  Let stop complaining when we made our own choices. Cruise well every one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1