Thinking of driving to Oasis cruise in Port Liberty, NJ from central Fla. Am I crazy?

It's about a 5 hour drive from northern Virginia; we plan on 18 hours to drive to Disney World.  

Traffic around the Capital Beltway is tricky.  Jersey Turnpike, too.  Never know the construction or accident situation.  We always drive up the day before to CL. 

Have driven four times now, with a fifth planned for next summer.

Have you been chosen for the simulated cruise on Oasis next week?  Is that why you would be driving to Bayonne from Florida?  If you plan on driving non-stop, it could be done, but I would leave a day earlier than you plan on making the trip.  Just sayin...

23 minutes ago, joand452 said:

It's about a 5 hour drive from northern Virginia; we plan on 18 hours to drive to Disney World.  

Traffic around the Capital Beltway is tricky.  Jersey Turnpike, too.  Never know the construction or accident situation.  We always drive up the day before to CL. 

Have driven four times now, with a fifth planned for next summer.

Have you ever checked out the Amtrak Auto Train from Lorton to Orlando if going to Disney World ?

You are not crazy. We have done the opposite over 20 times. Sometimes have used the autotrain. Risky move to take it from Sanford to Lorton, could be tough to then get to Cape Liberty on time same day if anything goes wrong. As an example, our autotrain last week from Lorton to Sanford was 4 hours late arriving. 

Going to be about 1100 miles, + or - . 

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, spintowin said:

How bad of a drive is it? Will 24 hours be plenty on a weekend for a Sunday embarkation? Thoughts?

You live in Southern California, will be in central Florida next week, and want to drive to Bayonne from there?

<shudder>

Yes, it can be done.  24 hours straight at a minimum.  (I had a friend visiting me in Philadelphia from the Orlando area and a storm warning came up, cancelling flights, so she got a rental car and drove straight through.  As I recall, that took her 22 hours, and it's not quite 2 hours for me to Cape Liberty.  But she is young, and could stand that drive.)  

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

You are not crazy. We have done the opposite over 20 times. Sometimes have used the autotrain. Risky move to take it from Sanford to Lorton, could be tough to then get to Cape Liberty on time same day if anything goes wrong. As an example, our autotrain last week from Lorton to Sanford was 4 hours late arriving. 

Going to be about 1100 miles, + or - . 

And if you don't need your car or the autotrain you can always take the Silver Star from Orlando to Newark Airport station.  Also, the Silver Meteor services parts of central Florida if you aren't near Orlando.

Don't take the train. It's super expensive and can also have delays. I'd fly but if you have to drive there are parts of this ride where you will hit heavy traffic. If you are going solo I'd strongly suggest planning an overnight stop. 

• Like 1

We've taken the Autotrain many times to WDW.  It's about 45 minutes from where we live.  Now it's just a lot cheaper to fly down (especially since it's usually just the two of us now) than take the Autotrain.

Our youngest daughter (age 33) learned to walk on our first trip on the Autotrain.  We had to drive home since Hurricane Hugo tore up the tracks and it would have pushed our trip to 24 hours.  No thank you; we had the 17-month old, a three-year old and a five-year old.  At least driving they could be contained!  We've also had to deal with strikes a couple of times and had to drive both ways...

Just plan on two nights on the road.

Edited by joand452

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You live in Southern California, will be in central Florida next week, and want to drive to Bayonne from there?

Where did OP say that it would be next week? A couple of us have asked when it would be but there was no response.