The Demise of the Suite Lounge

Have currently been on 3 ships since the restart in June - all in suites. For clarity, we are always suite guests, but also pinnacle. Recently, RCL announced the temporary exclusion of suite lounge access as part of Pinnacle benefits. “Fine by me” I thought to myself. 

The problem is now the Suite lounges are desolate. Ghost towns. Zero energy. And the poor bartenders and concierge just sit there. Tips are WAY down in a time when the crew need them the most. 

It is time for RCL to rethink this policy. For the sake of the crew. Maybe do a phased restart. 2100 points and over at first. Then 1050, and lastly 700 & over. Or better yet, give the ship the discretion to do what’s best based on their loyalty numbers. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

Have currently been on 3 ships since the restart in June - all in suites. For clarity, we are always suite guests, but also pinnacle. Recently, RCL announced the temporary exclusion of suite lounge access as part of Pinnacle benefits. “Fine by me” I thought to myself. 

The problem is now the Suite lounges are desolate. Ghost towns. Zero energy. And the poor bartenders and concierge just sit there. Tips are WAY down in a time when the crew need them the most. 

It is time for RCL to rethink this policy. For the sake of the crew. Maybe do a phased restart. 2100 points and over at first. Then 1050, and lastly 700 & over. Or better yet, give the ship the discretion to do what’s best based on their loyalty numbers. 

Demise? Jeez. It's a temporary policy change to ensure the spaces on board are not packed. Same reason why diamond and D+ drink vouchers are now usable anywhere and not just in the Diamond Lounge (though at least that rule is supposed to stick around).

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

We have been sailing primarly in Suites for the past 10 years. 

Another factor, I have noticed  is the beverage package.  Before the beverage packages they were much more crowded as there were free drinks.  With the beverage packages and many suite guests purchasing them, they are not utilizing the lounges as in the past. 

19 minutes ago, VermontsFinest said:

Demise? Jeez. It's a temporary policy change to ensure the spaces on board are not packed. Same reason why diamond and D+ drink vouchers are now usable anywhere and not just in the Diamond Lounge (though at least that rule is supposed to stick around).

The voucher rule is purely financial, it had nothing to do with covid (but covid provided good cover to make the change)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

The voucher rule is purely financial, it had nothing to do with covid (but covid provided good cover to make the change)

Finances may have very well been the driving force behind this decision.  Many companies are using CV19 as an explanation (excuse) to alter policies -- especially the unpopular ones. 

• Like 5

This is good news, normally very hard to get a seat at bar during happy hour in past , pinnacles normally have them all waiting for the happy hour to start , at least it was like this on my last oasis cruise.

15 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I am not sure what ships you are sailing. But I sailed a suite on the Celebrity Edge in June and the suite lounge was very well utilized and busy. Suite dining room was also full every night and even had a short wait at times.

I agree we did July 3rd Edge cruise, Luminae was packed , also suite pool . Food was still great way better than rccl CK. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I hope they keep everyone but the suite guests out of the suite lounge permanently.  If Pinnacles (or anyone else for that matter) want access, they can cruise in a suite.  I'm tired of coming in and finding it mobbed.  

I agree.  You can always hear the "conversation" from the massive table of guests hosted by a Pinnacle better than your own table, too. That nose level isn't pleasant in such a small and open area.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I hope they keep everyone but the suite guests out of the suite lounge permanently.  If Pinnacles (or anyone else for that matter) want access, they can cruise in a suite.  I'm tired of coming in and finding it mobbed.  

Absolutely agree. On our last cruise just before the shutdown, the Pins were camped out in the suite lounge all day - every day. Most days it was difficult to find any place to sit, let alone any place to relax. It was a good thing we booked our dinner times with the concierge pre-cruise or we would have had to work our dinner schedule around the pins as well.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Right, but they've de-incentivized the diamond lounge since there's no unlimited happy hour anymore.

We've never really taken full advantage of the DL or SL because of the drink package. We're rethinking the drink package now with the new vouchers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

We've never really taken full advantage of the DL or SL because of the drink package. We're rethinking the drink package now with the new vouchers. 

We always also book drink package, normally will just have a couple of drinks in diamond, concierge or suite lounge (we always book suites) but many people stay in these lounges for the entire 3.5 hours. Love the view from oasis suite lounge.

• Like 1

As somebody who is D+ and usually sails in a GS, please keep the Pins out!

We just returned from Adventure and Freedom and the suite lounge was adequately filled without Pins and frankly more enjoyable. We pay considerably more than most passengers to sail in a suite, regardless of how often we sail, so keep the incentive for those of us paying for it. 

Pins have vouchers and the Diamond lounge still, it is called Suite lounge for a reason. Keep it this way… coming from somebody who is nearly Pinnacle. 

Edited by kruzerci
  • Like 21

30 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

I agree.  You can always hear the "conversation" from the massive table of guests hosted by a Pinnacle better than your own table, too. That nose level isn't pleasant in such a small and open area.

Exactly! It’s “showtime” for them to flaunt their status. Not enjoyable and it is a welcomed change for it to be stateroom based again. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

That nose level isn't pleasant in such a small and open area.

I presume you mean noses pointing at a snooty “I’m more important than you because i have a badge with my name on it” elevation. 😂

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Exactly! It’s “showtime” for them to flaunt their status. Not enjoyable and it is a welcomed change for it to be stateroom based again. 

Normally enjoy talking to the pinnacles in the lounge, I don’t find them boastful,  my only issue was finding a seat. They have rights to perks because of there loyalty, like diamonds and diamonds plus. Might want to limit there free drinks to first or last 90 mins of happy hour.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

I presume you mean noses pointing at a snooty “I’m more important than you because i have a badge with my name on it” elevation. 😂

DYAC! 🤣
 My husband demands I leave it... he agrees heartily with you.  His experiences with Pinnacles have never been welcoming, and he avoids any gatherings of frequent cruisers as a result (Meet and Mingles, suite lounge, free drinks hours).  😞 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Normally enjoy talking to the pinnacles in the lounge, I don’t find them boastful,  my only issue was finding a seat. They have rights to perks because of there loyalty, like diamonds and diamonds plus. Might want to limit there free drinks to first or last 90 mins of happy hour.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve made some lasting friendships with P’s in the SL who I might have never met otherwise. 
Like all kinds of people, some are snobs but most are not. 

And as the OP stated, the current exclusion is only temporary so not such a drastic “demise”. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 1