The Demise of the Suite Lounge

26 minutes ago, mafig said:

MSC?

MSC does bundle in a drink package for suite guests that works at all bars.  Even Auera guests get a basic drink package included.  

45 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

Depends on the sale NCL is running, but choose a suite on an -away class ship and see if you can choose a beverage packages for the price of the gratuities.  You will have beer and cheapish wines included from the Haven bar.

With the high costs of fees associated with their "free" drink packages I'd argue they aren't free plus these are available across the product portfolio from interior to balcony to suite.   

The Oasis class 11-11 offer was always a one off unique to these 4 ships.  Given pricing for other suites across the fleet it didn't appear there was an uplift for this perk.  With other lines it is pretty clear you are paying for the free perk.

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Genuinely curious as I do sail other lines.  What other cruise lines offer unlimited basic beer & wine to suite guests every day?  

MSc yacht club offers a very nice drink package free for wine , liquor and beer , if you upgrade that you can drink really top shelf stuff like Johnny Walker Blue and XO cognac, celebrity offers beer , wine and drinks all day in suite lounge. Wine offered by rccl is swill.

Edited by George C

2 minutes ago, George C said:

MSc yacht club offers a very nice drink package free for wine , liquor and beer , if you upgrade that you can drink really top shelf stuff like Johnny Walker Blue and XO cognac, celebrity offers beer , wine and drinks all day in suite lounge. Wine offered by rccl is swill.

As more MSC ships enter the US market it will be interesting to see how Royal responds.  YC is usually a pretty good deal.  Even an Aurea suite is a bargain compared to Royal and the basic drink package works at all bars.  I may have suite booked on MSC 🙂 

We've done the MSC yacht club twice on the Seaside and are booked on the Meraviglia in October. If you watch their pricing there are some seriously good deals to be had. If you have sailed NCL in the Haven, this is very comparable. Wife and I booked a Deluxe Yacht club Suite for about $3500 for both of us. 2019 we caught a sale and booked the same for $2600.

Edited by Cmackdaddy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

At one point, MSC was doing a match of status with Royal.  Does anyone know if that is still happening?

I did find this, but, it doesn't have a lot of detail:

Status Match Program | Reward Program | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

I did a status match with MSC a LONG time ago.  At the time, they were matching D+ to their highest tier but I think they have since lowered their match to a lesser level.  The match was good for 3 years, during which time you had to cruise with MSC in order to keep it.  We did not cruise with MSC so my status has no doubt been invalidated.  I have no idea what the current rules are.

45 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

At one point, MSC was doing a match of status with Royal.  Does anyone know if that is still happening?

I did find this, but, it doesn't have a lot of detail:

Status Match Program | Reward Program | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

We also did it , got free steak dinner , they also give 5 percent discount for black status, I believe you can also just do match once ,my status may have expired, but I still can get 10 percent discount for being a veteran 😁

46 minutes ago, ChC said:

Classic First World problems all shown in this thread. Classic. Bravo to all of you. 

Of course it  is a first world problem.  This whole site is a first world problem.  It is OK to get a little pleasure  conversing  with others who share a common  interest or hobby. 

M

• Like 12

On 8/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, RFerrington said:

Whether the Pins are in or out, I just want them to return to 11-11 service on the O class.  Disappointing that they aren't offering that right now.  Of course, I realize that they are at reduced staffing and reduced capacity right now, so hopefully it will go back to the regular operating hours soon.  Or maybe they will use the current situation to implement a permanent change in operating hours as I also believe that many companies are using COVID as an excuse to reduce service (but never price !) and I think it stinks.

Can someone point me to the thread on the cancellation of the 11-11? 
Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

What are the current hours on the O class?

From a current suite cruiser on Allure, copied from another site: "Suite lounge has the normal foods laid out but someone serves you. Bar service is the same but you can’t sit at the bar. The juice and latte machine is still good to go.
I think you can get bottled water from the bar like we have before. Don’t see why not.
Tonight there are still some pins sneaking in but it is supposed to be only suite guests in here this cruise. Lounge has actually been busy tonight (usually is first night anyhow). Coastal Kitchen is busy!"

I will follow up to ask about specific hours, Gracie115.

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

Perhaps they are sailing in suites?

My experiences?

There's a bit of a demographic difference in the 2 groups that may tend towards this becoming a permanent change in policy.  The performing in the suite lounge isn't creating more Pinnacles (though I have no source for anything but anecdotal data!)

3 hours ago, LadyShiva said:

The performing in the suite lounge isn't creating more Pinnacles (though I have no source for anything but anecdotal data!)

I'm kinda curious as to the rate at which more Pinnacles are being "Created".  The legends I'd always heard were that the days of when they did Double-points events were what helped many bridge less a "Gap" and more of a Grand Canyon between D+ and P.  Yes, they've reinstituted double points due to "recent global events" (of which we're taking advantage) but we did the math and at our age, one 7-night cruise a year in a Suite might get us to P before age 90.... but not by much.

Because at some point, there's likely to be a few existing P's aging out of cruising (and of life in general) and I'm not sure the existing replacement rate will sustain the numbers.  

• Like 1

I went to the "Concierge Lounge" on Ovation this evening.  It was empty before 5pm, I was the only one in there.  A few trickled in after 5pm happy hour started.  The waiters asked cabin numbers when taking drinks.  The concierge said it was suite only, pinnacles excluded.

It was quite boring.  I enjoyed chatting with Pinnacles and Diamond Pluses in the past.  Most voyages it never seemed to be an issue with overcrowding.  Just some cruises.

It was dead quiet in there.  I will try it again a few more times this trip, perhaps since it was the first night that people were not coming in.

It seems like it would be better if on a sailing by sailing basis they decided who would be welcome.  If there were too many pinnacles on a sailing exclude.  Empty sailings let in D+ perhaps.

Edited by mike123abc
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, RCCL Fan said:

This is what I was thinking....   When we were on Adventure the Diamond lounge was PACKED nightly.  Suite lounge empty.

I was like.... so you reduced crowding in one room by just moving everyone to another.... kinda pointless.

BUT.....   it made sense.

On adventure the diamond lounge entrance is in the main part of VCL.   All week they just propped the door open.  People wandered in and out to get food, but pretty much the VCL became the diamond lounge. 

I honestly loved the process because VCL is so under used, and it's my favorite spot on the ship.

I would be happy with them leaving VCL on future ships and using them for diamonds, and putting pinnacles in the old diamond lounges or something similar.

The drinks in the Suite Lounge are unlimited and you can order any drink you like.

48 minutes ago, SonicShip said:

The drinks in the Suite Lounge are unlimited and you can order any drink you like.

They are unlimited at HH , but is the "order any drink you like" new?  The suite lounge had the same HH menu as the old D drink menu.  Limited brands/drinks. 

Thanks M