The Demise of the Suite Lounge

On 8/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, LadyShiva said:

I agree.  You can always hear the "conversation" from the massive table of guests hosted by a Pinnacle better than your own table, too. That nose level isn't pleasant in such a small and open area.

It's not like they haven't paid bucket loads of money in the past to get to their Pinnacle status.   All of the Pinnacles I have met are fascinating people.   They know all of the great things about cruising from lots of experience.  Sure, there are some who think they are extra elite and don't have to be kind to cruising newbies.  That said, I have seen far more suite guests who think because they paid a lot for their stateroom that they should have no consequence for being chair hogs, or raising a stink because they "spent their hard earned money" like no-one else on the ship did.   I find most suite occupants far more rude and inconsiderate than most Pinnacles. 

• Like 8

I think if people and RC want to allow Pins in the SL then they need to get some of the suite people out of the SL. Maybe it is time for RC to get with the industry and give those of us that book suites the drink package or load drinks onto our account like they are now doing for Pins. That would keep us mostly out of the SL and we might go on more cruises.

We have never had an issue with over crowding in the SL but I have read many comments where people have had problems. I don’t have an issue with Pins in the SL but I don’t want to pay extra for a perk I can’t use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Are you suggesting that access to the suite lounge is the only draw?  I'd suggest it's not.  Just speaking for myself, the loyalty program has some appeal, but, come back to Royal for the product.

That being said, I think somebody needs to take a step back and look at the C&A program.  If they were just starting it today, what would it look like?  Assuming that vision is what they want then a plan needs to be laid out to get there.  Let's face it, C&A is showing it's age, and there are probably ways to make it both more desirable.

Good suggestion. When C&A program was 1st created I don't think RCI realized how successful it would be or that it would morph into the what it is today. It's like they created a monster and are now trying to figure out how to reign it in.

I am now Pinnacle but have always been an advocate for those who sail in Suites. They pay for an advertised product and.....especially on the smaller ships....could not get it when there was a CL. What many C&A members are having trouble accepting is that a Loyalty program can change. It's happening in the Airline and Hotel industry and is bound to happy in the Cruise industry as #s grow. Now...with double points...C&A #s will grow even more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaCSCCruiser said:

It's not like they haven't paid bucket loads of money in the past to get to their Pinnacle status. 

I would love to see some sort of statistics from Royal on this.  It can be very economical to cruise in an interior .vs. a suite.  I would also be curious as to the additional revenue from the guests.  Do, for example, high level C&A members spend more than suite guests? 

Speaking for myself, I don't spend much onboard.  A few drinks, some meals, perhaps a tour.  Beyond my room, I'm not worth a lot to Royal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, molly361 said:

Just curious what lines you are lookin at?

Viking so far right now.  Have a 21 night European river cruise booked for 2023 right now.  Am looking into their sea going ships as well.  Have never been on Princess either...may want to try them.  And most definitely want to try sister line Celebrity, which is getting more and more inviting looking.  

Have tried NCL (OK, would try again if convenient), Carnival (never again) Costa (ditto), HAL (definitely never again), Windjammer (nice Med cruise), plus some smaller lines that are now defunct.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

I have sailed quite a few lines. While the suite perks can be better on other lines, their loyalty programs don't compare. I understand being frustrated when perks one has been use to getting, change. But I don't think that changing any of that is a slap in the face to loyal customers. The suite lounge was created for suite guest, allowing upper tier member to partake in the SL and CK should have always been seen as a bonus that could go away. Yes you have sailed 700+ nights on RCG but I would hope they did that for the enjoyment of cruising, not for SL access.

I don't think it is some big thing that the pins aren't in the SL currently. No one knows what tips actually occur, you can't judge people by status, clothing, etc. I waitressed when I was younger: not only were those deem best dress some of the worse tippers, but it was often hit or miss with regulars. As capacity is reduced, it is better from a fiscal standpoint to ensure those paying premium prices get what they pay for. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Viking so far right now.  Have a 21 night European river cruise booked for 2023 right now.  Am looking into their sea going ships as well.  Have never been on Princess either...may want to try them.  And most definitely want to try sister line Celebrity, which is getting more and more inviting looking.  

Have tried NCL (OK, would try again if convenient), Carnival (never again) Costa (ditto), HAL (definitely never again), Windjammer (nice Med cruise), plus some smaller lines that are now defunct.  

Definitely try the Suite experience on Celebrity. Luminae....the Suite restaurant....is heads above Coastal Kitchen and the Retreat area....especially on EDGE class ships is amazing. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Definitely try the Suite experience on Celebrity. Luminae....the Suite restaurant....is heads above Coastal Kitchen and the Retreat area....especially on EDGE class ships is amazing. 

Totally agree.  Gary (Cruise Wizard) has us convinced to start joining them on Celebrity.  He and Mary loved the Edge.  Thanks!  🙂 

21 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I would love to see some sort of statistics from Royal on this.  It can be very economical to cruise in an interior .vs. a suite.  I would also be curious as to the additional revenue from the guests.  Do, for example, high level C&A members spend more than suite guests? 

Speaking for myself, I don't spend much onboard.  A few drinks, some meals, perhaps a tour.  Beyond my room, I'm not worth a lot to Royal.

Some pinnacles do sail in suites

• Like 2

We prefer to sail in suites because of the extra room.  We’ve done ocean view and regular balcony and while they were ok I like my space and am willing to pay for it.  I am a smart shopper however and have gotten great deals on suites, which makes it even better.

We really like the Suite Lounge and look forward to getting dressed up and having a few drinks before dinner.  

We also go there early in the morning 5:45ish for some coffee/expressio before hitting the gym.  It’s nice to sit and relax each morning in the empty lounge, look over the cruise compass and prepare for the day.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

When C&A program was 1st created I don't think RCI realized how successful it would be or that it would morph into the what it is today. It's like they created a monster and are now trying to figure out how to reign it in.

I am now Pinnacle but have always been an advocate for those who sail in Suites. They pay for an advertised product and.....especially on the smaller ships....could not get it when there was a CL. What many C&A members are having trouble accepting is that a Loyalty program can change. It's happening in the Airline and Hotel industry and is bound to happy in the Cruise industry as #s grow. Now...with double points...C&A #s will grow even more. 

That's it. When first made Diamond(Top Tier then) 20+ yrs ago was maybe 10 of us on a Single Sailing. This on Newest Ships and Popular Cruises. Got to meet with Capt and all Senior Officers each Cruise, First on and off Ship(besides Weddings) and access to Concierge Lounge. C&A very successful, especially since so much cheaper Cruise now then was 3 Decades ago

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 4:07 PM, Cigar King said:

As mentioned earlier, our Pin journey cost around 100K. Approaching our second 700 points, and I would guess it cost a little less.

As far as onboard spend, I know we've surpassed 25K in jewelry shops. 😱

Our other expenses are typically a few spa treatments, some drinks, shore excursions (only do ship sponsored), and at least one specialty dining experience every trip.  Never done a drink or dining pkg other than on a weekender once. Have also done a few cabanas on Labadee and Coco Cay. 

They collect a decent amount from us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

As mentioned earlier, our Pin journey cost around 100K. Approaching our second 700 points, and I would guess it cost a little less.

As far as onboard spend, I know we've surpassed 25K in jewelry shops. 😱

Our other expenses are typically a few spa treatments, some drinks, shore excursions (only do ship sponsored), and at least one specialty dining experience every trip.  Never done a drink or dining pkg other than on a weekender once. Have also done a few cabanas on Labadee and Coco Cay. 

They collect a decent amount from us

Indeed they do!!  😮   

Frustrating how some ignorant people like to lump C&A level of some passengers into one image that they see fit to fix them with, without actually knowing them.   

All levels of C&A, all levels of cabin dwellers...we are all people and all different.  Would be a boring world if we were not!!  Something about a book and it's cover I think?  😉 

• Like 2

Just because you have one not so nice encounter with a member of a certain group it doesn’t mean everyone in that group is the same. Early on we had an encounter in the concierge lounge on Liberty. We were in a suite and sitting in the lounge and an older Pinnacle couple came in and the lady said to her husband “they’re sitting in our seats”. We just ignored them and stayed put. I would never paint the whole group with the same brush. Most are friendly and super knowledgeable and helpful. I’m sure most have paid plenty to get to Pinnacle (I know plenty of them stay in suites). 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Just because you have one not so nice encounter with a member of a certain group it doesn’t mean everyone in that group is the same. Early on we had an encounter in the concierge lounge on Liberty. We were in a suite and sitting in the lounge and an older Pinnacle couple came in and the lady said to her husband “they’re sitting in our seats”. We just ignored them and stayed put. I would never paint the whole group with the same brush. Most are friendly and super knowledgeable and helpful. I’m sure most have paid plenty to get to Pinnacle (I know plenty of them stay in suites). 

Agree. IMO, and realize I can't speak for anyone else but one bad apple does not spoil the entire bushel. Like Pat ( @island lady)said, "all levels of C&A...".

• Like 1

From here on out, we’re going to be suite people.  Not sure if we’ll use the suite lounge for much this next cruise, since we have the drink package and UDP.  However, since we’ll be Diamond after that, and get the vouchers for drinks, I definitely see us ditching the drink package, and using the suite lounge more 🙂. Does it have free bottled water?

On 9/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, island lady said:

.....And most definitely want to try sister line Celebrity, which is getting more and more inviting looking....  

We have tried Celebrity and definitely liked it a lot. We were on Solstice twice.  To us, it seemed a touch more elegant/refined but not stuffy at all.  We had a young child (my niece) with us on Celebrity as well and she loved the ship too.   She had a great time in the kids program the first time.  The second time she was not that thrilled to go.   I think it was a combination of her having a new baby sister and wanting time with her parents as a single child again (my parents kept the baby as my brother and SIL were not really ready to take her on a cruise at that time), coupled with the fact that my niece was missed the cut off to age up into the next "Camp at Sea" group, but missed it by a week. She was the only 5 year old in her group- all the rest were 3 year olds. She was going to turn 6 at the end of the week but they would not make an exception and let her go into the next age group.  My brother and SIL were pretty impressed with the kids program the first time. They did a little talent show one night with the kids and my niece had a great time performing.  

We would definitely cruise Celebrity again.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaCSCCruiser said:

We have tried Celebrity and definitely liked it a lot. We were on Solstice twice.  To us, it seemed a touch more elegant/refined but not stuffy at all.  We had a young child (my niece) with us on Celebrity as well and she loved the ship too.   She had a great time in the kids program the first time.  The second time she was not that thrilled to go.   I think it was a combination of her having a new baby sister and wanting time with her parents as a single child again (my parents kept the baby as my brother and SIL were not really ready to take her on a cruise at that time), coupled with the fact that my niece was missed the cut off to age up into the next "Camp at Sea" group, but missed it by a week. She was the only 5 year old in her group- all the rest were 3 year olds. She was going to turn 6 at the end of the week but they would not make an exception and let her go into the next age group.  My brother and SIL were pretty impressed with the kids program the first time. They did a little talent show one night with the kids and my niece had a great time performing.  

We would definitely cruise Celebrity again.   

We share some same memories.  Sailed Celebrity a lot over the years when the kids were young and the talent show was always fun for them (and us watching).  They are all now diamond with Royal and almost D+ on their own.  Whether land or sea, travel is wonderful for everyone.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, LadyShiva said:

DYAC! 🤣
 My husband demands I leave it... he agrees heartily with you.  His experiences with Pinnacles have never been welcoming, and he avoids any gatherings of frequent cruisers as a result (Meet and Mingles, suite lounge, free drinks hours).  😞 

DW and I typically cruise 4-5x per year and avoid those as well. i dont feel the need to do the p!ssing contest thing, and i find it tiring. We cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.

As an aside, our last cruise pre shutdown was on Carnival (Pride out of Baltimore). The Meet and Mingle had a rather large typo in the planner. It said Meet and Minge. DW and I were practically rolling on the floor at that one. If you dont know what it means, it is a vulger british slang term. 

Over the years, as D & D+, we have certainly enjoyed the Diamond & Concierge Lounges. But now we are very happy with 4-Star level on HAL -- free laundry, for us non-alcoholic drinkers, a premium perk (especially for the 70-day plus South America/Antarctic cruises & Grand World Cruises).

Back to RCI, what we'll miss most is quite time in the lounges chatting with folks and Kindle reading.

2 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Over the years, as D & D+, we have certainly enjoyed the Diamond & Concierge Lounges. But now we are very happy with 4-Star level on HAL -- free laundry, for us non-alcoholic drinkers, a premium perk (especially for the 70-day plus South America/Antarctic cruises & Grand World Cruises).

Back to RCI, what we'll miss most is quite time in the lounges chatting with folks and Kindle reading.

You can still do all that in the DL. It's still open, day and night. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1