Coach passengers testing positive at terminal

molecrochip

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

No, not all do and anyway they have multiple filter layers that trap really minute particles, in both directions. You have to fit them properly though with a tight fit. Mine filter about 94% of particles, much better than a surgical mask. I am only wearing it for travel to Southampton and will be using surgical masks onboard. Every little percentage helps.

So your using the FFP2 filter Dave . 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/27/what-are-ffp3-face-masks-are-they-reusable-and-where-to-get-one-13976291/

• Like 1

The issue here as far as I am concerned is, are passengers booking a cruise transfer by coach being told that if any passenger on that coach tests positive at the port, then everyone on that coach will not be allowed on the cruise.

I know they aren't as I have booked a transfer.

I have seen nothing about this incident in the mainstream media, nothing on the P&O website and nothing on the coach firms website.

My point is, if these are the rules let people know. I only found out about from a friend who uses FB, I don't.

Anyone on that particular coach who tested negative and was not allowed to board would feel rightly aggrieved about that, if they weren't told about it at the time of booking.

I am now taking a taxi down to the port and the coach for the return leg. I feel for anyone not on social media who is oblivious to this rule and will innocently book a coach transfer unaware of the risk.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, BarFinder said:

The issue here as far as I am concerned is, are passengers booking a cruise transfer by coach being told that if any passenger on that coach tests positive at the port, then everyone on that coach will not be allowed on the cruise.

I have seen nothing about this incident in the mainstream media, nothing on the P&O website and nothing on the coach firms website.

My point is, if these are the rules let people know. I only found out about from a friend who uses FB, I don't.

Anyone on that particular coach who tested negative and was not allowed to board would feel rightly aggrieved about that, if they weren't told about it at the time of booking.

I am now taking a taxi down to the port and the coach for the return leg. I feel for anyone not on social media who is oblivious to this rule and will innocently book a coach transfer unaware of the risk.

Absolutely  right

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarFinder said:

What if you where to test to positive?. How would you get back from Southampton? Would P&O sort that out for you? And the taxi will likely be very expensive probably £250 plus. You do know that don't you. Surely a 1 way train would be better for you? We are paying close to £500 for return journey from west lancs.

Windsurboy.  I also have double checked the P&O site, and my confirmation coach transfer letter and nowhere can I find any information with regard to there possibly being an infected passenger.  Your transfer idea seems quite good.  Can I be impertinent and ask you what you expect your taxi fare might be, because we will be travelling from Manchester so perhaps not to dissimilar a distance. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What if you where to test to positive?. How would you get back from Southampton? Would P&O sort that out for you? And the taxi will likely be very expensive probably £250 plus. You do know that don't you. Surely a 1 way train would be better for you? We are paying close to £500 for return journey from west lancs.

If I test positive I would have the problem of getting home anyway. We intend self isolating for a fortnight before the cruise as a precaution. The only one I have to worry about is the taxi driver.

You are right a taxi is £250 but I will get £40ish each refund from the coach fare. If it costs me £170 extra I would rather do that than play Russian Roulette with my cruise by gambling on the rest of the coach party. We live outside of Hull so the train is complicated and far more risky Covid wise as we would have to go through London.

Edited by BarFinder
error
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, BarFinder said:

If I test positive I would have the problem of getting home anyway. We intend self isolating for a fortnight before the cruise as a precaution. The only one I have to worry about is the taxi driver.

You are right a taxi is £250 but I will get £40ish each refund from the coach fare. If it costs me £170 extra I would rather do that than play Russian Roulette with my cruise by gambling on the rest of the coach party. We live outside of Hull so the train is complicated and far more risky Covid wise as we would have to go through London.

Would not your insurance cover pay for the taxi home?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought I had read that P&O were organising and paying for affected coach passengers to return home.

John - I think you're right - I remember reading something similar.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, molecrochip said:

I think the approach taken by P&O may have been different if mask wearing had been enforced on the coach. This appears to have contributed to the issue.

I'm expecting, but can't confirm, some type of lateral flow test at the airport before flying.

We are booked on the Britannia transatlantic Southampton to Caribbean in October.  I have spoken to P&O today and they are not testing us at Manchester airport before boarding the coaches to Southampton.  Coach passengers will be tested at Southampton only, in my opinion all should be tested before leaving Manchester and the other airports (Birmingham, Gatwick etc).  I argued by testing at Manchester, P&O and passengers wouldn't be in the awful position the coach party at the weekend had to suffer, as any people testing positive wouldn't be able to travel down .  I am aware logistically, to test before boarding on Eavesway which pick up at various spots en route is a different matter.

• Like 2

The last post is quite worrying as We are also booked on this cruise in October ,and oddly enough I also rang p&o this morning  to get clarification on the protocol in regards of travelling down to Southampton by coach. I told the p&o rep. That no way am I getting on a coach full of people that runs the risk of myself and my wife being ejected or not even let on the ship at the other end through know fault of our own if we test negative , The p&o rep told me that after the uk trips ,from September  all the  overseas cruises protocols were being revised, and looked at as they realise and understand that potentially there will be a lot of people travelling by coach to Southampton ,and that whichever process they decide (if any ) will be updated on the p&o website recently we did a uk coastal cruise and in all honesty it was very well organised but once in the terminal building you could cut the tension  with a knife, image the tension after travelling down from Manchester airport by coach which we will be doing (well should be doing ),waiting for your results hopefully both getting negative results but you then get on board hoping and praying the rest of your coach party tests negative.there has to be a better way of doing this . IMO everybody should be tested before they are allowed to step foot on the coach.i understand that this must be a logistical knightmare for p&o but common sense must also be a major factor in there process  

• Like 4

Just looked at latest ONS infection data by age. Over 70s 0.35% infectef , one in 300,   50 to 70 , 0.5 % ifected one in 200. Children and young adults , aged 4 to 25,  3.5% infected,  one in 30. 

So if it's only  older people on coach , one coach in 5 will have one positive person. If there are children then most coaches could have one.

If you  are going on a cruise , keep away from children , and dont rusk a coach.

• Like 3

Well I’m glad I checked the latest rules concerning LFT before boarding.eavesway want you to take a test 24 hrs before boarding the coach,it was 72hrs not long ago.thought I was all finished having recorded a negative test today...all for the right reasons so no problem 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, ace2542 said:

I was on that cruise and also had a coach transfer.The gentleman who tested positive had his result after others on the coach were already on the ship .PO fed them ,then took them to a hotel overnight as it was then late 9pm then they arranged transport home .I felt so sorry for those affected .We had a letter telling us we needed a test 72 hrs prior to boarding the coach .Anyone who feels the object of this site is to correct any spelling and punctuation of others post feel free I have a life to attend to .But it could put others off if they feel they are up for ridicule .

1 hour ago, margo2011 said:

I was on that cruise and also had a coach transfer.The gentleman who tested positive had his result after others on the coach were already on the ship .PO fed them ,then took them to a hotel overnight as it was then late 9pm then they arranged transport home .I felt so sorry for those affected .We had a letter telling us we needed a test 72 hrs prior to boarding the coach .Anyone who feels the object of this site is to correct any spelling and punctuation of others post feel free I have a life to attend to .But it could put others off if they feel they are up for ridicule .

Well considering the coach travel was totally independent of P&O yes they did well by these passengers.  Remember Eavesway do not work for P&O any more.

Edited by daiB

34 minutes ago, daiB said:

Well considering the coach travel was totally independent of P&O yes they did well by these passengers.  Remember Eavesway do not work for P&O any more.

We have always travelled down to Southampton with Eavesway and I have looked at their Covid protocols. All passengers must have been double vaccinated or show proof of exemption, age or medical reason etc, and all passengers must show proof ofa negative LFT taken 24 hours prior to boarding, no exception. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
spelling

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We have always travelled down to Southampton with Eavesway and I have looked at their Covid protocols. All passengers must have been double vaccinated or show proof of exemption, age or medical reason etc, and all passengers must show proof ofa negative LFT taken 24 hours prior to boarding, no exception. 

Avril

Did not top the problem in the above case.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:47 AM, molecrochip said:

As for false negatives, the sensitive of a LFT means that a false negative is very unlikely but a false positive is more likely - this is why a rapid PCR is carried out before a final denial of boarding decision is made.

You are incorrect.

Even when administered by a trained medical professional an LFT will give a false negative 20% of the time (a false negative being a test result that reports that someone does not have COVID when they do).

When administered by an untrained member of the public on themselves the false negative rate rises to 50% (nobody stuffs the stick up their nose or down the back of their throat as far as they should). And that is before you get to people cheating by just adding the neat solution to the test or scanning the QR code and reporting a negative result.

A false LFT positive (the test reports someone has COVID when they do not) is far less likely at around 1/1000 tests.

It is obviously sensible to conduct a PCR if someone has tested positive from an LFT, just to be fair to them to make sure they do before they are denied boarding.

However just accepting LFT with the terrible false negative rate (even if people are not cheating) without conducting PCR tests on everyone whatever their LFT result is simply ‘security theatre’ - It is pointless but reassures people.

Edited by picsa

On 8/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Just to update this, we’ve just learned that the thing that didn’t impress them was being herded together with a couple of hundred other people, at a muster station, all close together! Admittedly all masked, but they weren’t happy about it.

That didn't happen on my recent Saga cruise. The updated muster drill is - watch video presentation in cabin (you have to watch it before you have access to any other TV channel), go to muster station (without life jacket), check in so they know you have been and then walk straight out again via a one-way system. The only issue became the jam on the stairs which could have been avoided by people going out on deck and waiting until it cleared.  Everyone has to use the included transport - no coaches, trains etc, - and the drivers are tested before coming to pick you up. On arrival at the terminal the cars are put in a queuing system and all pax are tested. You wait with your luggage still in the vehicle, until your test comes back negative and only then can you enter the terminal and your luggage is taken and sanitised with sprays. If you do test positive, you are given two further PCR tests and if still positive your driver has to take you straight back home. On tours, the coaches are santisied with aspray and drivers and guides tested before anyone can board. It felt very safe.

• Like 3

Hi everyone 

Just reading all these comments and also information from P&O re testing at the ‘terminal’ However we are on Britannia in November and flying out to the ship. The ‘terminal’ will be in Barbados.

Has anybody got information regarding how P&O are managing the testing for fly cruises? We have now paid the balance and are more than curious about the protocols both on the plane and on the ship. Excursions are available to book, including independent ones.

Like everyone else we are longing for a holiday and equally anxious about the whole covid situation.

2 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Hi everyone 

Just reading all these comments and also information from P&O re testing at the ‘terminal’ However we are on Britannia in November and flying out to the ship. The ‘terminal’ will be in Barbados.

Has anybody got information regarding how P&O are managing the testing for fly cruises? We have now paid the balance and are more than curious about the protocols both on the plane and on the ship. Excursions are available to book, including independent ones.

Like everyone else we are longing for a holiday and equally anxious about the whole covid situation.

Do I remember Moley saying that testing would be carried out at the UK airports ?