Coach passengers testing positive at terminal

molecrochip

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s such an easy thing to do, to wear a mask to protect those around us.

I know some people are genuinely exempt - but, as everyone on the coach knew they’d have to wear a mask on the cruise, nobody had any reason not to wear a mask on the coach. 

Not wearing a mask when you are in public enclosed spaces   is rather selfish, and it looks like it has had consequences on this occasion 

Do we know what P&O policy would have been if it could be proved  everyone on coach was wearing a mask . I would presume they would still all be kicked off. May be safer with a mask but you would still be sent home , to find out you didn't have covid

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I know some people are genuinely exempt - but, as everyone on the coach knew they’d have to wear a mask on the cruise, nobody had any reason not to wear a mask on the coach

They were probably eating and drinking the entire time down. I only ever done a coach once couldn't do it again the suspension was out of alignment just and I haven't been on since but. People where drinking on there, coffee and booze and eating.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Unless the person tested positive from the coach was positive when they got onboard the coach? In that case everyone will be infected after 12 hours. If a cruise ship coach is going to be a spreading event I am trying imagine how bad the football supporters coaches will be with the amount of things that happen on them.

Pink-Belle alluded to this earlier.  Apparently the driver checked that people had a negative LFT result, probably through people showing the driver the text or email you get after submitting your test result to the NHS.

At the risk of stating something you may already know, the LFT result is simply a self declaration that you tested negative.  The system only recognises the QR code of the test gizmo, not where the line finishes showing the result.  So basically, very easy to lie when submitting the test result.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Unless the person tested positive from the coach was positive when they got onboard the coach? In that case everyone will be infected after 12 hours. If a cruise ship coach is going to be a spreading event I am trying imagine how bad the football supporters coaches will be with the amount of things that happen on them.

You seem to be awarding the virus with A* distinction there ace 2542, it's very unlikely that everyone on the coach would come into contact with the virus, and equally unlikely that all those that do would become infected  especially as everyone on the coach would have been double jabbed.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

So basically, very easy to lie when submitting the test result.

I expect that some do and will lie about doing a test but it's also possible that some people may be doing the lateral flow tests but maybe not doing them correctly and not getting an accurate result.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charleyben said:

in all reality whilst it is possible that the virus can be transmitted between people who have received the vaccines, it is unlikely.  

Not that unlikely. I know of two cases in my extended family in the past fortnight. All double jabbed weeks ago.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Not that unlikely. I know of two cases in my extended family in the past fortnight. All double jabbed weeks ago.

Yes, I know of a family whose son tested positive (after his first jab) so the family self isolated, after 7 days the mum started showing symptoms, and then after another 7 days the dad started showing symptoms. The mum &  dad were both double jabbed.

Under government rules the families self isolating period didn’t need to start afresh after the mum tested positive but fortunately they started the isolation period again anyway, good job they did otherwise the dad would have been out and about just before showing symptoms!

Edited by SarahHben

15 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Could be about a 1 in 3 chance against the delta variant. that is if you have taken in sufficient viral particles to trigger the infection.

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

Did the coach stop for a comfort break at any service stations on it's travels and 

if so does the coach company alert them, not that much could be done .

No, that's where the NHS app comes into play, if people are using it. The service station would have no way of knowing who was there to be able to alert anyone. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

No, that's where the NHS app comes into play, if people are using it. The service station would have no way of knowing who was there to be able to alert anyone. 

I think you have to be in contact for 15 mins to be alerted and I doubt that would happen on a coach stop. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think you have to be in contact for 15 mins to be alerted and I doubt that would happen on a coach stop. 

It happened to me after a trip to Sainsburys and I'd not been near anyone else. Even used self checkout. But yes, it should be as you've said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I'm not dispute the original passenger. What I'm saying is that those who only came into contact with the positive individual on the coach will not themselves transmit covid for at least 12-24 hours. They may contract it but then it needs to build within your body to a transmissible level.

Therefore the other coach passengers, whilst able to catch Covid, would not have passed it on during the time they were on the ship.

But if not removed, they could have transmitted it later in the cruise.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Charleyben said:

in all reality whilst it is possible that the virus can be transmitted between people who have received the vaccines, it is unlikely.  Even if some passengers contracted the virus they are unlikely to develop serious symptoms.

The line has to be drawn somewhere and I personally think that in this case P & O have gone over the top.  There are bound to be certain passengers who have picked up the virus and are tested before the markers show to produce a positive test.  Also there are the false negative LFTs to be put into the equation.

If I had been sat having dinner and been asked to disembark under these circumstances, I would be apoplectic.

I’m afraid your apoplexy would have been misplaced, given the risks here - not just to the other passengers, but also to the reputation of P&O, and indeed cruising worldwide.

Virus transmission between vaccinated individuals is not at all unlikely, sadly, as the evidence now shows, and there are currently quite a few double vaccinated people in hospital, because the effectiveness of the vaccines is nowhere near 100%.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You seem to be awarding the virus with A* distinction there ace 2542, it's very unlikely that everyone on the coach would come into contact with the virus, and equally unlikely that all those that do would become infected  especially as everyone on the coach would have been double jabbed.

Certainly it’s unlikely that everyone on the coach would be infected, but the double vaccination does not prevent infection. It probably, but not necessarily, prevents a serious outcome, but it can still be transmitted to others.

Coach travel is pretty high risk because it’s an enclosed space with a lot of potential droplet transmission. Air conditioning would help, but wouldn’t eliminate the risk.

I think P&O took absolutely the right decision.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, keithhutch said:

So after August 16 and if it happens again would the coach party be allowed on and just be tested daily..as that is the rule from next week if you are double jabbed and in contact with some one who is you don’t need to isolate..!

The rules for the ship will be decided by P&O. I doubt that they will change their current protocols any time soon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Coach travel is pretty high risk because it’s an enclosed space with a lot of potential droplet transmission. Air conditioning would help, but wouldn’t eliminate the risk.

The lesson is avoid coaches. 

In hindsight,  which of course is very abundant during this pandemic unlike foresight, then perhaps  P&O shouldn't be using coaches ,  but encouraging independent travel. 

• Like 4

Very disappointing for those passengers remove from the ship just because they had travelled on the same coach.  However I can understand P & O  position, but how are they going to handle the charter flights for this winters Caribbean season.  Pre flight testing tends to be carried out at least 48hrs prior to  the flight. If one or two passengers test positive on arrival at the ship are they going to stop all 300 from boarding. 

• Like 1

Normally  the rule on planes is to "quarantine" only the two adjacent rows. 

This is I think due to the better ventilation system on planes and the fact you are not allowed to move seats , under covid.

Whether  P&O will use this rule I haven't a clue. 

Due to advancing years we now choose to use the complementary coach service offered by P &O as it is the easiest way for us to travel. Whilst allowing us to book and pay for our cruise in October, no mention was made of the protocols which would be invoked if one member of the travelling coach group were to prove positive for COVID.  If we had been aware of this protocol it would certainly have had an influence on our decision to pay for the cruise and we would most likely have cancelled and lost our modest deposit or at least moved it to a later date. As it is now it is a cruise that we are not particularly looking forward to because there is a chance that we may not be able embark, and under the T&C we cannot cancel. I know we could pursue other means of travel but that would include more hassle and expense.  (Gripe over!!!)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mostonian said:

Due to advancing years we now choose to use the complementary coach service offered by P &O as it is the easiest way for us to travel. Whilst allowing us to book and pay for our cruise in October, no mention was made of the protocols which would be invoked if one member of the travelling coach group were to prove positive for COVID.  If we had been aware of this protocol it would certainly have had an influence on our decision to pay for the cruise and we would most likely have cancelled and lost our modest deposit or at least moved it to a later date. As it is now it is a cruise that we are not particularly looking forward to because there is a chance that we may not be able embark, and under the T&C we cannot cancel. I know we could pursue other means of travel but that would include more hassle and expense.  (Gripe over!!!)

How about moving your cruise to next year, when hopefully protocols will have eased ?

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Certainly it’s unlikely that everyone on the coach would be infected, but the double vaccination does not prevent infection. It probably, but not necessarily, prevents a serious outcome, but it can still be transmitted to others.

I agree that P&O took the correct action, I was just pointing out that ace was rather exaggerating the likelihood that everyone would become infected.