Medallion mailed or at the pier?

riffatsea

50 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Wondering why you'd want the medallion mailed to your home?

You can't use it until you are on board so what is the advantage of having it mailed?

What am I missing?

Because it saves you time at the pier checking in, and boarding.

• Like 12

If you wait to get it at the pier, your check in experience will be similar to what it used to be.  You'll wait in line to see a representative in the terminal.  My understanding is that if you've already gotten your medallion, you'll basically walk right on (after Covid protocols that everyone goes through).

At the port you will show your passport to security officials.  Then you will get to the Princess area where they will check your covid paperwork and make sure you're in green lane.  If you already have your medallion you then go to waiting area.  

Well, let me just share our experience with receiving the medallion via mail. We received them about 2 weeks prior to sailing. Once we got to the terminal, one medallion battery had apparently died. This seemed to fluster the staff...finally they let us on the ship (note that this person was NOT scanned in!) and just told us to go to customer service desk to get a new one. Then, about halfway through the cruise the other medallion died and had to be replaced. Of course each time required standing in a line waiting.  There just might be an advantage to picking them up at the pier.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, let me just share our experience with receiving the medallion via mail. We received them about 2 weeks prior to sailing. Once we got to the terminal, one medallion battery had apparently died. This seemed to fluster the staff...finally they let us on the ship (note that this person was NOT scanned in!) and just told us to go to customer service desk to get a new one. Then, about halfway through the cruise the other medallion died and had to be replaced. Of course each time required standing in a line waiting.  There just might be an advantage to picking them up at the pier.

The promise of the medallion was that one could race on to the ship unimpeded with pedestrian things like showing a passport...

It sort of loses it's luster if one can fly on to the ship only to then wait in an onboard line...

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Because it saves you time at the pier checking in, and boarding.

Yeah, that's the party line.

Reality, like one's mileage may vary.

It's a shame that princess didn't polish their app over the past year.

Any potential time saved in the terminal has been sqandered

10 fold by people having problems with the app.

One step forward, six steps back...

Edited by Roberto256

Just now, Roberto256 said:

Yeah, that's the party line.

Reality, like one's mileage may vary.

We've been on 2 medallion cruises, and having the medallion saved us plenty of time at the cruise terminals. The line for picking up medallions was long, while we had zero wait.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Thanks for all your answers

Do you have to do anything to the medallion when you receive it at home?

Just wondering if there is some sort of set up technology involved?

Nope. Just bring it with you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We've been on 2 medallion cruises, and having the medallion saved us plenty of time at the cruise terminals. The line for picking up medallions was long, while we had zero wait.

we had a perfect situation in 2019 - pre 'rona - on the CB

1) we took an upsell to our one and only ( so far ) suite

2) had OM in hand

3) got to terminal 2 in PE/FLL 'early' ( around 10 am as we had stayed in the Hilton Marina Inn the night before

4) the CB was coming off a wetdock/drydock so there were no passengers to disembark and no b2b passengers screwing around and not showing up at the assigned time and location

5) no wedding parties as I remember

• Like 1

7 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Wondering why you'd want the medallion mailed to your home?

You can't use it until you are on board so what is the advantage of having it mailed?

What am I missing?

Just wondering do you want to wait in a line that could be long or exit security & just walk on the ship?  

Tom😀

• Like 2

It will be quite interesting to see how this all works

I have the app set up on my phone 

I can't quite understand how th I s medallion ,sent by mail will know all my information and be able to open my cabin etc

Has anyone ever gotten someone else's by mistake?

Hehe. Just imagining all the things that can go wrong with technology going berserk!

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It will be quite interesting to see how this all works

I have the app set up on my phone 

I can't quite understand how th I s medallion ,sent by mail will know all my information and be able to open my cabin etc

Has anyone ever gotten someone else's by mistake?

Hehe. Just imagining all the things that can go wrong with technology going berserk!

The Medallion has your name and an ID code stored in it.  It communicates with the ship's server via wireless intRAnet connection.  The server has all the details and your cabin number is one thing attached to your unique ID code.  All they need do is set the cabin to the ID code and you can enter that cabin.

6 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

The promise of the medallion was that one could race on to the ship unimpeded with pedestrian things like showing a passport...

It sort of loses it's luster if one can fly on to the ship only to then wait in an onboard line...

Not quite as there was always passport verification.  Now there is also vaccination verification.

3 hours ago, trbarton said:

Just wondering do you want to wait in a line that could be long or exit security & just walk on the ship?  

Tom😀

A real life example.  On our last cruise, we and our friends were at terminal together and proceeded through security together more or less (Terminal 2, PE, Nov 2019).  We were among the first 50 people in the terminal that morning.  I had our Medallions shipped to our FLL pre-cruise hotel.  Our friends did not.  (Note that thus far, Medallions cannot be mailed to Canada). 

Wife and I were upstairs in Elite lounge for 5 - 10 minutes before our friends made it upstairs and we had saved seats for them.  Sorry, I cannot be more precise than that time range.  Also, when things got busier downstairs, IDK what the check-in time difference would have been.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not quite as there was always passport verification.  Now there is also vaccination verification.

I agree about passports.  However, there were many people posting here who claimed we were both wrong,

and they would just walk onboard.

13 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Based on many posts here, the reason some of the people are in the line picking up medallions was due to 

them having a problem with trying to get princess to send the medallions.

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I agree about passports.  However, there were many people posting here who claimed we were both wrong,

and they would just walk onboard.

Probably a figure of speech.  Although I have not attempted to bypass anything in the check-in process.  IMO, you wouldn't be checked in when security attempted to ping your Medallion.

We've been on a few Medallion cruises before March 2020. 

We picked up our Medallion at the cruise checkin and it was easy peasy. 

We are Elite so perhaps our line was short to begin with?

But it took no longer than for them to swipe our cc and look at our passports.

Agent walked over and got an envelope with our Medallions inside.  Simple.

I think we will do it again that way again.  It was Easy to get at checkin.  😉

When you order your medallion is there a place to list an address you want medallion mailed to?  We will be in FL weeks before cruise and would like it mailed to FL address but home address is used for Princess records. I am concerned with slow mail forwarding we wouldn't get in time for the cruise.

37 minutes ago, rwilk1129 said:

When you order your medallion is there a place to list an address you want medallion mailed to?  We will be in FL weeks before cruise and would like it mailed to FL address but home address is used for Princess records. I am concerned with slow mail forwarding we wouldn't get in time for the cruise.

Yes, you have opportunity to enter a shipping address.  I had our Medallions shipped to our pre-cruise hotel in FLL.  They still don't ship Medallions to Canada.

• Like 2