Celebrity Cruises shore excursions discriminates against guests over 65

MaureenM

We've all probably been on tours where some of the guests couldn't safely keep up. Unfortunately you have to draw the line somewhere for a variety of reasons. I remember doing the The Baths in Virgin Gorda and probably 1/3 of the guests on the excursion had absolutely no business trying to climb over rocks and wade through chest deep water with their bags held above their heads. Some even struggled with the hike up a groomed trail after the water and rocks portion. I'm really surprised no one got seriously injured that day. 

14 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

My favorite one is Kotor, Montenegro, wine tasting and lunch (no hiking).  That's it.  Minimum age: 18 years, Maximum age: 70 years.  I'm too old to eat lunch and drink wine.  Oh the humanity! 

They may not check ID's....

Cheers and bon voyage

Younger people might argue that they experience age discrimination since many places offer discounts  only to Seniors. Businesses tend use whatever they can to attract and hold their target customers.

1 minute ago, Orator said:

Younger people might argue that they experience age discrimination since many places offer discounts  only to Seniors. Businesses tend use whatever they can to attract and hold their target customers.

I am 4 months away from being able to get the senior discount in most of the local establishments in my area.  I say YAY bring it on!!

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I am 4 months away from being able to get the senior discount in most of the local establishments in my area.  I say YAY bring it on!!

Just turned 65 this year. A mere 20 years more and I can get a whopping 1% off sales tax on SC purchases.  Just sitting here waiting until I can wheel out twice a year to save 5 cents on a $5 sandwich. Or, whoa, a dollar on a $100 double sized case of Depends!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, MaureenM said:

Just got back from the Edge and found out I was not allowed to book some of the snorkeling catamaran tours in Roatan because i was older than 65. Had no help from the Shore Excursion staff who could not explain why I could go on one of the catamaran snorkel tours and not the one I wanted to go on. The description was basically the same I just didn’t want lunch included. There is also a requirement that guests be under 260 lbs but no one checks that. 

This has nothing to do with Celebrity, it's the decision of the provider.

It also isn't blatant age discrimination (and I am in the over 63+) age group. Their insurance company likely goes way up if they allow seniors on their tour.

There may in fact be significant differences or one is more willing to accept the risks/liability.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, cruisestitch said:

Sorry, but the headline should read, “Celebrity does not discriminate against those over 65, but some of its suppliers do”

That's just trying to provoke an argument.  This happens everywhere.  This is all about liability. Americans particularly, are very eager to file suit when things don't go as planned.  You can not possibly blame a service provider for protecting their business interests.

36 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

This thread should be taken down.   It is based on a false statement and reflects negatively on Celebrity when they are not at fault.

Most of us readers can probably figure out this is an opinion posted by an angry person. So we read it, and post corrective responses.

I think the site allows opinion about services sold by X.

• Like 4

I realize the frustrations of getting old and the so-called discriminations shown us seniors because of our advancing years. It is not a malicious intent to stifle what independence and active life-style we have left. Rather, I believe it is a realistic reminder to better evaluate what our capabilities are in relation to what they once were. I no longer need to see things from high up or down below, at break-neck speed or over the rockiest and bumpiest of surfaces. I no longer need to challenge mother nature.

Whereas I am healthy and in good shape for my years, I am happy that my brain is listening more to my body instead of trying to activate the override switch. It is not as much that I can't as it is I don't want to. Once you come to that understanding about yourself there is no reason for blame or anger or ill will toward anyone. There are activities and excursions that sooner or later are not for everyone and those responsible for providing the recreation must determine what works best for all involved. 

Perhaps a less strenuous, more relaxed adventure is just what the doctor ordered....whether or not he/she actually did.     

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I realize the frustrations of getting old and the so-called discriminations shown us seniors because of our advancing years. It is not a malicious intent to stifle what independence and active life-style we have left. Rather, I believe it is a realistic reminder to better evaluate what our capabilities are in relation to what they once were. I no longer need to see things from high up or down below, at break-neck speed or over the rockiest and bumpiest of surfaces. I no longer need to challenge mother nature.

Whereas I am healthy and in good shape for my years, I am happy that my brain is listening more to my body instead of trying to activate the override switch. It is not as much that I can't as it is I don't want to. Once you come to that understanding about yourself there is no reason for blame or anger or ill will toward anyone. There are activities and excursions that sooner or later are not for everyone and those responsible for providing the recreation must determine what works best for all involved. 

Perhaps a less strenuous, more relaxed adventure is just what the doctor ordered....whether or not he/she actually did.     

Well said. 

We were on a great barrier reef snorkel tour.  One or two of the older guys were winded and just could not keep up with the tour leader for an intermediate level snorkel.  They were participating in an activity that they were not fit for.  Others seemed to do just fine.  If there was an easy way to test or certify fitness that would be best.

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We were on a great barrier reef snorkel tour.  One or two of the older guys were winded and just could not keep up with the tour leader for an intermediate level snorkel.  They were participating in an activity that they were not fit for.  Others seemed to do just fine.  If there was an easy way to test or certify fitness that would be best.

I think one of the issues here is that people often don't read the descriptions of excursions, they just read the name/destination and think "Oh, I want to do that!" and book it. 

I was once on an excursion that included a hike up Mt. Vesuvius, and while it's not that bad, the trail is quite rocky (shocking, I know, for a volcano), a little steep at times, and can have awkward steps. It's not just a winding flat path. Anyway, they drop you off like halfway up at the entrance to the National park and you're on your own the rest of the way. On said excursion there was an older couple, one with a walker, that asked the ticket-taker at the entrance what accommodations they had to help get them to the top, and they were like, there aren't any. The couple asked about a van or the like and again it's, no, they don't have those things. They were very distraught (even trying to invoke the ADA despite being in Italy, insisting that it meant they had to be taken to the top...I didn't want to get involved but I'm pretty sure you don't get a helicopter to the top of Yosemite for free just because you can't climb it yourself...) and eventually went to the excursion guide and told them that they (or Celebrity) were responsible for getting them to the top of the mountain, which obviously the person said no, it isn't, it was called HIKE UP MT. VESUVIUS.

Celebrity refunded their money (not that they were required to, but it's good business), but the point is the description of the excursion clearly said that the path up was rocky and strenuous and they didn't even bother to read it, or if they did they figured it wouldn't matter.

• Like 1

We are in our 70’s, avid snorkeled and have encountered age restrictions on so many cruise line based tours. We believe that with the increasing number of very fit  senior citizen cruisers the cruise lines should be looking for excursions that don’t discriminate solely based on age,

Most tour companies depend on the cruise lines fior their livelihood so the cruise lines should avoid doing business with the tour companies that implement age discrimination.  Money talks - the cruise lines have the power to take away their business instead of supporting tour companies who discriminate based on age. Those companies need find better insurance carriers, 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Most of us readers can probably figure out this is an opinion posted by an angry person. So we read it, and post corrective responses.

I think the site allows opinion about services sold by X.

Its also informative to those who may not know these restrictions exist.   

• Thanks 1

@luv4cruises Nice idea, but a fantasy to expect that from ship excursions without doubling prices.

It isn't only a matter of better insurance. It is also a matter of the vendor having to increase staff to aid the person who thinks s/he is fit but isn't, and to avoid having to disappoint everyone else when someone's health crisis brings everything to a halt.

Once covid is more under control, private excursions will be the only way to avoid age-based screenings. Scuba providers have industry-wide medical standards that reputable companies follow (supported by physician documentationnof fitness), but virtually every other type of activity will have someone willing hanging around the pier offering activities to let even the foolish push their limits. Just don't count on anyone like the ship to do even a cursory screening for safety or contingencies.

Maybe you envision an activity waiver supported by a fitness test or agility screening by the fitness staff. However, most medical issues common to age require more sophisticated testing like stress tests, blood work, etc. More medical staff? Higher fares for everyone.

If desired rigorous activities are barred on cruising by age, the answer is obvious--find another way of doing it. The industry is not going to ban vendor rules that are designed to prevent the most predictable emergencies that can be tragic for the one experiencing it and perhaps ruin vacations of many others.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may have missed it but I haven’t seen any specific suggestions on how X or tour companies measure someone’s ability to take an active or strenuous tour. As described more than a few dont self-restrict and w the ability to book well prior to the cruise or in your SR, how is any legit evaluation to be done prior to already paying and showing up. And once standing in line at the pier ( or leaning on a walker!) you can see that will lead to even more disputes. 

so what criteria for the snorkel or climbing up the side of a volcano? Blowing in a tube to measure breathing, running the length of the pier, a Dr note when over the age limit - I’m sure that wouldn’t be misused. 

personally I wish there were restrictions on grumpy old men who don’t want to be on the tour or even the cruise and let’s everyone know….and it’s always us men!

Edit: Mayleeman just did what I asked!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1