I'm this close to canceling HAL n booking NCL because they test at the pier...ready to scream!

atexsix

56 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Seems the backup at the pier caused a lot of problems as well as people being stranded because they got a 'surprise' positive test & were stranded at the pier.

They will also save a lot of $$$ by not having to do thousands of extra test for each cruise.

Of course, to follow that line of thought to the next logical step, that means, then, that people who would've gotten a "surprise positive test" are now going to be boarding the ship with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Oh, the horror of it. Places are giving priority to people with symptoms over people who wish to do leisure travel.🤦‍♂️

Not exactly.  Places were only giving tests to people with symptoms.

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Of course, to follow that line of thought to the next logical step, that means, then, that people who would've gotten a "surprise positive test" are now going to be boarding the ship with you.

True, but how many people have ended up with false positive tests?  The main reason we had such a hassle on the Westerdam last year was that an off going passenger got a false positive test in the airport in Malaysia, so the whole ship was suspect.  Actually not a single passenger had Covid.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Not exactly.  Places were only giving tests to people with symptoms.

I stand corrected, but I wonder if that means that there are so many people displaying symptoms that there is no test availability for those not showing symptoms.

3 minutes ago, Cruizer Bill said:

We just booked a free test at Bellevue College.  Go to UWMedicine.org on Thursday mornings to get a slot for the following Wednesday. 

UW Medicine has separate booking links for symptomatic vs asymptomatic. It appears that the symptomatic route has openings (set aside) closer to the day you access the site. Also, some sites don't let you book far in advance. So, they are prioritizing those with symptoms, but still offering tests to asymptomatic a bit farther out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

Of course this doesn't help anyone trying to get tested for travel either -

As the delta variant rages across the US, it's getting harder to find COVID-19 tests (msn.com)

No it doesn’t.  In reading all these threads, I am surprised they can get anyone to cruise. I know on CC it’s tilted as people here are much more into cruising then the average cruiser.  Hopefully for the cruise lines sake, some of these requirements will phase out over time.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cruizer Bill said:

Yes, and that is infuriating!  You have to get tested AND wear masks even after being vaccinated!  

And tests are and will be getting harder to find.

Struggling to find a COVID test? You're not alone, thanks to the delta variant (msn.com)

And IMHO the priority for testing should be those showing symptoms or those who will have a lot of interaction with non-vaccinated such as elementary school teachers, not those who want a leisure activity like a cruise. People who have come in contact with someone who has had Covid should also be a priority over those who need the test because cruise lines are demanding it.

• Like 3

Here's what we'd like to see ... that if you can provide proof of 2 vaccines plus your booster, all from the same manufacturer and completed more than 14 days ahead of embarkation, that testing isn't required..

• Like 1

Sorry, I might be too late, but I used to fly out of SEA back to Canada and used Discovery Health to do my PCR test. They have multiple locations including at the DoubleTree hotel close to the airport. I think I paid about $110 for it and results came back at midnight. However, I stopped using them in the past couple of months as I can get it free at CVS/Walgreens with no insurance.

SeaTac – DoubleTree by Hilton Southcenter (discoveryhealthmd.com)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zelker said:

Here's what we'd like to see ... that if you can provide proof of 2 vaccines plus your booster, all from the same manufacturer and completed more than 14 days ahead of embarkation, that testing isn't required..

That would eliminate a LOT of their market for a long time.  We got our vaccines the first week our age group was allowed (we're 50).  We still need to wait until mid-December until we're eligible for our boosters, then wait two-weeks until it's effective.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lady President said:

That would eliminate a LOT of their market for a long time.  We got our vaccines the first week our age group was allowed (we're 50).  We still need to wait until mid-December until we're eligible for our boosters, then wait two-weeks until it's effective.  

We're assuming that this is going to continue on past the end of 2021.  And it wouldn't eliminate the market - it would just mean those that still only have 2 jabs would need to get tested, no different than now.

6 minutes ago, Lady President said:

For sure it would.  I haven't heard a peep about availability about boosters in Canada being available.  That said, I don't sit in front of the TV 24/7 so I may have missed it.

1 minute ago, zelker said:

We're assuming that this is going to continue on past the end of 2021.  And it wouldn't eliminate the market - it would just mean those that still only have 2 jabs would need to get tested, no different than now.

That could prove to be too much of a pain for some.  How many countries have you heard talk about boosters being readily available besides the USA?  Many countries are still looking to start getting vaccinated.

3 hours ago, Lady President said:

I have yet to see a necessary 2 week waiting period after the booster shot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I have yet to see a necessary 2 week waiting period after the booster shot. 

You are getting ahead of yourself as booster shots for the general population have not yet been approved by the FDA.

U.S. prepares to administer 100 million booster shots as Biden tells Americans it will ‘help us end the pandemic faster’ (msn.com)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You are getting ahead of yourself as booster shots for the general population have not yet been approved by the FDA.

U.S. prepares to administer 100 million booster shots as Biden tells Americans it will ‘help us end the pandemic faster’ (msn.com)

Our pharmacies here in Texas are giving boosters now to people who are high risk. I was just at the market an hour ago and people were getting boosters.

• Like 2

I'm getting my booster shot next Tuesday(high risk person).  Having said that I have no problem with providing a negative test result just before I step on board and hope they continue that practice at least until this virus is tamped down world wide a lot more than it is now.    I just had a friend that was fully vaccinated, is a young, vibrant, healthy man who contracted Covid and was very ill along with his whole family for a couple of weeks before things started to improve.  The virus came on like a ton of bricks, fine at noon and fever of 103+ by evening.  

This virus doesn't discriminate and being tested to be as sure as you can be prior to sailing works for me.  We're cruising from Barcelona (fingers crossed) in a couple of months, thankfully the cruise line is providing those tests at embarkation but we intend to have tests done the day before we fly to Spain and will be making appointments for it well in advance. 

I think better being safe than sorry is our mantra until Covid finally backs off....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

My point was that neither the FDA nor CDC has stated that you needed to wait two weeks for the booster shot to be effective. As for getting a booster shot now they appear to be a dime a dozen if you contact either Walgreens or CVS. I am sure this is due to the FDA giving full approval to the Pfizer vaccine this upcoming Monday. When that happens DR's can prescribe it off label which means everyone will be able to contact their DR and get the booster shot prior to the FDA giving approval for it. I think Walgreens and CVS are doing their part to help avoid the rush. 

• Like 2