Downgrade Troll versus Upgrade Fairy - Downgrade Troll Won

SargassoPirate

A few days ago I received an email from Princess that I had been upgraded.  That's odd, I thought, because I always request that my bookings be marked "No Upgrades".  I must have forgotten that important detail.  I checked the upgrade cabin location, and while it was indeed a category upgrade, it was in a location that I would never choose - right above a nightclub and further away from the self-serve laundry. 

I wanted my original cabin back.  It was perfect for me.  Passengers above, below, and across the corridor and close - but not too close to the laundry.  I called Princess and asked for my original cabin back before they "upgraded" someone into it.  The agent was able to do so.  I also asked that it be marked "No Upgrades" since I had evidently forgotten to do so originally.  She said "That's odd.  Your original booking was marked "No Upgrades".

Over the years I have learned that the cruise line's idea of an upgrade doesn't translate into an upgrade to me.

The Downgrade Troll won.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

A few days ago I received an email from Princess that I had been upgraded.  That's odd, I thought, because I always request that my bookings be marked "No Upgrades".  I must have forgotten that important detail. 
I also asked that it be marked "No Upgrades" since I had evidently forgotten to do so originally.  She said "That's odd.  Your original booking was marked "No Upgrades".

You just learned an important lesson. Princess sees the "no upgrades" as a request. They can & will move you, if they want your cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You just learned an important lesson. Princess sees the "no upgrades" as a request. They can & will move you, if they want your cabin.

That is very true.  Years ago, at check-in, we discovered our perfect mini-suite marked “no upgrade” had been changed.  We had been notified by email but I missed it.  I was verrrry unhappy!  That was until we started walking to our new cabin and I realized where we were headed…to an aft PH suite!  In this case, the Upgrade Fairy couldn’t have done a better job!  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Over the years I have learned that the cruise line's idea of an upgrade doesn't translate into an upgrade to me.

The term higher  grade is simply a grade which is more expensive within the cabin type range or a higher, normally more expensive type of cabin.   In practice where people are choosing specific cabins it is more attractive option ones have been snapped up leaving a pool of less desirable cabins in each grade. What is difficult to understand is why Princess move passengers who have specified "No Upgrades" as they are not likely to be happy with a new location.

Regards John

Regards John

In the beginning of our Princess cruise history, we booked an inside cabin. It was kind of a last minute booking and we just wanted to get away. When checking in at the port, we were told that we had an upgraded cabin.

Their idea of upgrade was another inside cabin on a bit higher deck (Caribe). This cabin was the furthest forward you could possibly go.

Lucky for us, we do not get seasick because the Atlantic ocean was doing some rockin' and rollin'!

Unfortunately for us, there was an infant next door who was quite unhappy most of the time at night.

Princess told us it was a full ship and nowhere to move to.

We've been lucky and unlucky with upgrades. I usually book guarantee cabins. I don't really care where we are on the ship. Our best upgrade has been from an obstructed view cabin to a cabin with a balcony. Technically, it was classified as a deluxe ocean view because there wasn't any furniture on it. It's one of the cabins at the bow of the Sapphire Princess that they determined was too windy for furniture. It was perfect for watching the glaciers in Glacier Bay. 

Our worst upgrade was from an obstructed view guarantee to a cabin that Princess classifies as unobstructed (P201 on the CB). The tiny recessed porthole really makes it an obstructed view. And the cabin itself is narrow. There was room for just one nightstand. My side of the bed was flush against the wall.

A lot of times we've received upgrades from obstructed views to unobstructed ones and even inside cabins to ocean views.

3 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Glad you are where you want to be.

Thanks.  I spend a lot of time looking at deck plans when choosing a ship and a cabin.  Once I settle on it and book, that should be the end of it.

At least this time I called right away and my original cabin was still available.

• Like 1

This happened to me once.  I had to pitch a fit to get my cabin back.  It was an aft cabin, and I think someone who knew someone wanted it.  I got it back, but it was after a bunch of (wait on hold forever) phone calls.  It pays to check your booking periodically to see if the have pulled a switcheroo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I usually book guarantee cabins. I don't really care where we are on the ship.

Is there much of a saving with Guaranty ? We are also not too particular but do like balcony and mostly choose Aft because they are less expensive and just as good as Mid to us.

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Is there much of a saving with Guaranty ? We are also not too particular but do like balcony and mostly choose Aft because they are less expensive and just as good as Mid to us.

I've rarely seen better prices for guaranties. It's usually the same price.

Most who book a guaranty cabin will book the lowest price category and hope to get assigned a cabin that is more expensive.

6 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I've rarely seen better prices for guaranties. It's usually the same price.

Most who book a guaranty cabin will book the lowest price category and hope to get assigned a cabin that is more expensive.

Got it, thanks. I had wondered why take a Gty when it seemed to be same price. I also guess sometimes there is no option to choose but Princess will offer a Gty knowing they will get you on the ship somewhere. Had not thought of that.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks.  I spend a lot of time looking at deck plans when choosing a ship and a cabin.  Once I settle on it and book, that should be the end of it.

At least this time I called right away and my original cabin was still available.

Good thing you called in time, and were checking your emails. 

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

A few days ago I received an email from Princess that I had been upgraded.  That's odd, I thought, because I always request that my bookings be marked "No Upgrades".  I must have forgotten that important detail.  I checked the upgrade cabin location, and while it was indeed a category upgrade, it was in a location that I would never choose - right above a nightclub and further away from the self-serve laundry. 

I wanted my original cabin back.  It was perfect for me.  Passengers above, below, and across the corridor and close - but not too close to the laundry.  I called Princess and asked for my original cabin back before they "upgraded" someone into it.  The agent was able to do so.  I also asked that it be marked "No Upgrades" since I had evidently forgotten to do so originally.  She said "That's odd.  Your original booking was marked "No Upgrades".

The Downgrade Troll won.

Had the same thing happen to me twice. Thankfully both times I was able to get my cabin back.

My entire *booking* disappeared recently. Just dropped off. I was a bit surprised and contacted my TA. She was out of town, but was able to have it reinstated when she got back in her office. We kept the same cabin. I might not have minded an upgrade.

We had been booked on an October TA that got moved to November. I can't take a two week vacation in November (it's our crazy busy season) so we re-booked to a September TA. Monies didn't get transferred correctly/on time. However, when they canceled the October cruise, we got a FCC for 10% of our deposit. Not much, but it'll pay for one day each of the Plus plan.

11 hours ago, nini said:

In the beginning of our Princess cruise history, we booked an inside cabin. It was kind of a last minute booking and we just wanted to get away. When checking in at the port, we were told that we had an upgraded cabin.

Their idea of upgrade was another inside cabin on a bit higher deck (Caribe). This cabin was the furthest forward you could possibly go.

Lucky for us, we do not get seasick because the Atlantic ocean was doing some rockin' and rollin'!

Unfortunately for us, there was an infant next door who was quite unhappy most of the time at night.

Princess told us it was a full ship and nowhere to move to.

Did you book a GTY Inside?  In that case, they could assign you anything.  If you booked a specific cabin and had it as No Upgrade, well then you should have been okay by the probability. 

IDK how you were "upgraded" since the very most forward Inside cabins are Category IF and it doesn't get any lower than that.

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Got it, thanks. I had wondered why take a Gty when it seemed to be same price. I also guess sometimes there is no option to choose but Princess will offer a Gty knowing they will get you on the ship somewhere. Had not thought of that.

Since you mostly want Aft and a Balcony, you could book a Category "BD", which is the lowest Aft Balcony category.  You will not get anything worse, so you could end up Mid-Aft "BC", for example, or get what you booked, or get something better.  You never know until the cabin is assigned.

And yes, a "BD" costs the same whether you select an available cabin or do the GTY.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Did you book a GTY Inside?  In that case, they could assign you anything.  If you booked a specific cabin and had it as No Upgrade, well then you should have been okay by the probability. 

IDK how you were "upgraded" since the very most forward Inside cabins are Category IF and it doesn't get any lower than that.

Honestly, it was so very long ago. It was in 2003 and our first Princess cruise which was on the Golden (loved that ship!). I had been ill and this was such a nice affordable getaway. When we checked in, the employee said we had been "upgraded" and that is what we got. We are much more Princess savvy now. We actually loved the storm. It did not bother us at all; more like being rocked to sleep.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Exactly!  I've seen a few cases of this over the years.

I wonder what the ratio of unhappy vs happy upgrades are.  Since their business model seems to be upgrade willy nilly, I would guess the happys are the majority.

I guess it pays to check every day to make sure they haven't monkeyed with my booking.