Are they doing breakfast and lunch in the windjammer

1 hour ago, fishbonz said:

Jan 9th cruise on the Anthem some one told no breakfast or lunch in the windjammer '''''''' true or not.???

Even RCI may not know the details of the WJ that far in the future. You may want to get info from a more reliable source. 

Not sure I understand the logic of it being OK for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner????

But then again, I don't understand the logic of the curfews either.

And I have been a professional in occupational health and safety, and doing exposure control and risk assessment for about 37 years. 😄

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Not sure I understand the logic of it being OK for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner????

But then again, I don't understand the logic of the curfews either.

And I have been a professional in occupational health and safety, and doing exposure control and risk assessment for about 37 years. 😄

It may not be the "logic" you are thinking of.  There are numerous other challenges from staffing to supplies that may well be coming into play.

51 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

It may not be the "logic" you are thinking of.  There are numerous other challenges from staffing to supplies that may well be coming into play.

Royal should ask Celebrity how they are operating the buffet at dinner! 

I know first hand because we sailed Celebrity early this month.

We were told it is due to the reduced capacity on the ships. When sailing with increased numbers of passengers, dinner in the WJ will be back. I don't know what percentage of capacity it will take to open it for dinner, but it makes sense to not have all that food and staffing with the ships at such low capacity.

On the Odyssey it worked well to have the staff serving the food, and they were great about cleaning tables and serving you drinks at the tables.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I’m guessing it’s a staffing issue - they need lots of extra staff to serve people in the WJ, and they don’t have the staff while meals are served in the MDR. 

Not just staffing but also wasted food because many more people eat in MDR for dinner vs. breakfast and lunch.

Pre-COVID, only one side of the WJ was open for dinner, and not very busy at that.  At this point they aren't sailing at high enough occupancy to justify cooking all that food for the WJ then throwing most of it away.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they are swiping your Seapass card when you enter and leave the WJ.  I was told it was to monitor social distancing and I asked if they reach a certain number of people would some people have to wait until someone leaves in order to be able to enter and I was told no.  So I don't really know guess they are just tracking who  eating there??

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But for North American cruises, it's closed and will remain closed for the time being.

Given that Anthem doesn’t even get to the USA for several months yet, it is possible things may change, as they have done on her uk sailings 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Royal should ask Celebrity how they are operating the buffet at dinner! 

I know first hand because we sailed Celebrity early this month.

This is an interesting comparison. We were onboard the Edge (with you !!!) and also on the Allure of the Seas on 8/15.  

Edge : about 1700 people (50-60%), about 950 crew (about 50%)

Oceanview Cafe open for all meals and late night pizza, albeit with some areas not used 

Allure: about 1500 people (25%), about 1800 crew (100%)

Windjammer open for Breakfast and Lunch, no dinner 

So, at least for this comparison, it's not about staffing. More about passenger count. Could also be that the Allure has more other free options, such as Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, Johnny Rockets.

BTW, we think Oceanview Cafe is way better. 

Edited by mac_tlc

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Wikipedia lists crew at about 1320 and 100% capacity at about 2920.

Well, 1700 / 2920 = 58.2%. And I believe that 2920 is at double occupancy , with max capacity being around 3300. So I’m good on that one. 

The crew number was mentioned by one of the Retreat Concierges, so maybe a bit of liberty taken by someone who is one of the crew. 

A distinction without a difference.

mac_tlc