Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

6 hours ago, funatseascott said:

We will be cruising the b2b with u in a royal suite as well…might be neighbors…I’m not a blogger but follow along to learn.  As this is your thread, I’ll stay quiet unless you want a fellow cruiser adding some comments.

Wonderful.     So far things are perfect.   Our Stateroom attendant, Ian  greeted us upon arrival.    I guess I won't have much trouble remembering  his name.   He is very attentive and our special requests were already in our stateroom -    2 Isotonic pillows, extension cord and the beverages of our choice have been stocked.  

I will be posting some pictures later of the suite.   We have not been on Equinox since her Revolution.   Nicely done in light shades of cream and tan with a touch of green. 

The also have new bathroom items.    It's a brand I have never heard of but we can all research it together.   Le Labo's Sental 33

• Like 2

5 hours ago, micheleata said:

Have a great cruise!   I always love reading your reviews.

When we rented the golf cart in Bonaire we did the Southern Route first.   They give you a map with all of the points of interest.    The first couple of beaches we came to were very sandy and calm, and I wish we had spent more time at those.   As we moved along they became very rocky with rough waves.   We had such a fun day!  Enjoy!

Thanks for the information.    I jotted it down and will make sure we enjoy those first couple beaches.   Is it pretty safe to drive a golf cart around.    Iain thinks I'm nuts... but we all knew that already .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JRL81 said:

Jim and Iain I hope you have a wonderful trip and will living vicariously through both of you on this trip!!! As always I’m late to the party but I am caught up now! If you don’t mind could you elaborate on the dining situation and social distancing once on board in the venues you visit? Also when you are ready for a new series.. The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwell is phenomenal and over 12 books in the series start to finish!!!! Fair winds and smooth seas my friends!!!

~Jay~

Jay -

Thanks for the recommendations.    I finished off the Scarpetta Series earlier this year.   I agree with you.    I was looking for novels like her's and someone recommended the Gideon Oliver Series  -   They were really good and I finished my last of Aaron Elkins series.   He has a couple more books he wrote with his wife an I only got through 1/2 of it before deciding I didn't like the writing style.... possibly his wife wrote most of it.

• Like 1

Following and traveling with you vicariously, as that is the only way I can travel nowadays; my dog needs eye drops three times a day and I am working part time, saving for my new cruises booked for 2022.  Thank you for offering your perspective, as I always enjoy following you posts.  Enjoy, as you must be onboard and feeling blessed.

Edited by Lastdance

Jim,

Can you find out who the Retreat Hosts are on the ship (former Butlers) and ask if anyone knows where Cesar is. You may remember him as our butler on the Summit when we sailed together.  I think of him so often and hope to sail with him one day soon. Have a wonderful cruise. Karen and I will be following along. Cesars picture is below.

CF262679-1EFD-476F-888C-70D228211BFE.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Cruise Day - September 5

We checked into Embassy Suites electronically using the Hilton APP.  No need to stop at front desk.    After checked in an electronic key is enabled on your IPhone.  

We slept like rocks but awoke at 7:30. The breakfast at Embassy Suites has changed a bit.   No eggs cooked to request.   They have Scrambled eggs.   At first I was thinking of the powdered eggs discussed on TerryDTX thread.   They were actually not bad.   

about 10-15% wearing masks and tables are spaced nicely. 

1EC4550F-E75E-4FCF-82FC-C0EEE52C7C1D.thumb.jpeg.547d53c22839a11434f12b2e8c8ca305.jpeg

Memories...almost time now!

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the information.    I jotted it down and will make sure we enjoy those first couple beaches.   Is it pretty safe to drive a golf cart around.    Iain thinks I'm nuts... but we all knew that already .

Yes..safe to drive anywhere,.very sunny...wear hats, sunscreen and sunglasses.  Great views of flamingos, salt flats, slave huts, windmills  etc,  Beaches are okay but not the main draw unless snorkeling or wind surfing,  We took a regular  mini bus tour...A/C was the key!

We found wonderful  natural salts and local  cooking items at the little flea market after our tour... Great lunch at Krals on the main street..over the water or across from the water..a/c indoors..  great salads!   We always stop in there... we love Bonaire!

Enjoy!  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, silkismom said:

On book series, do you need to read the J D Robb ones in order?

YES.

The characters evolve, and are the same along the series. I'm eagerly waiting for #53. The first is "Naked in Death".

39 minutes ago, silkismom said:

our on-line library has a bunch of his books.

Nora Roberts = J.D. Robb

• Like 2

Jim,  have you ever read the MC Beaton books?  The author (who died in 2019) is from Glasgow.  She wrote a lot of historical romance novels under her maiden name (Marion Chesney), but used MC Beaton for her best known mystery series.  Agatha Raisen series is set in the Cotswalds, but Hamish McBeth is set in the Highlands.  He's the constable of a small village there.   They're not great literature but they are fun reads.

Also in preparation for my last Alaska  trip I read a book by  Sue Henry called Murder on the Iditarod.  It was the first in a small series, and a fun read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are still up for the golf cart race.  😄

Bon Voyage!  I'll happily be watching sail away knowing that we'll be on the next time it leaves FLL.

• Like 1

at 5pm, the cruise director came on the speaker and said 67 people have not done the muster drill. (sail is 6pm)

they were supposed to have completd the muster drill by 4pm.

also, unlike the 8/27 cruise, there's no more stickers on the card to prove you've done the muster drill.

wonder why they got rid of the muster stickers.

and for that matter, no longer use the tracelets???

6 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Unlike my 8/27 cruise, tracelets are not being used on this cruise. 😮

I wonder how contact tracing will be?

That I don't know.   But from what I understand they aren't using them on Edge.    Many of the crew still had them on.  

9 hours ago, funatseascott said:

We will be cruising the b2b with u in a royal suite as well…might be neighbors…I’m not a blogger but follow along to learn.  As this is your thread, I’ll stay quiet unless you want a fellow cruiser adding some comments.

Have you noticed the new Toiletries

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

at 5pm, the cruise director came on the speaker and said 67 people have not done the muster drill. (sail is 6pm)

they were supposed to have completd the muster drill by 4pm.

also, unlike the 8/27 cruise, there's no more stickers on the card to prove you've done the muster drill.

wonder why they got rid of the muster stickers.

and for that matter, no longer use the tracelets???

Do they have another way of tracing those who are possibly at risk because they were close to someone who tested positive or are they just giving up on quarantining? 

5 hours ago, silkismom said:

On book series, do you need to read the J D Robb ones in order? our on-line library has a bunch of his books. I'm still working thru Louise Pennys, and finished Brad Thor with "Black Ice"

I'll look for his books.