Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

A number of people seemed to be frustrated with Royal because of these changes (2 day for vaccinated, PCR only for unvaccinated children).  These are in direct response to the recent CDC updated recommendations.

I think Royal is still trying to follow the CDC guidance, maybe hoping the CSO will be allowed to expire at the end of October. And other cruise lines announced changing to these protocols this week before Royal did. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Laboratory tests cannot prove a negative. What they are designed to do is identify an analyte (in this case covid particles) that is present in great enough numbers to be positively identified above a background concentration, usually with a 95% confidence interval that the analyte in question is present. This is typically called the detection limit, or limit of detection.

Lets say you set your kitchen sink faucet to drip at 10 drops a minute. Pretty much anytime you check that sink your can tell it is wet. you know the faucet is dripping. This would be a positive.

Now set the faucet to drip at 1 drop an hour. Most of the time you would not see the sink being wet, as the 1 drop per hour will evaporate pretty quickly. this would be a case of the result being there, but under the detection limit. In reality, you cannot determine whether your faucet is dripping very slowly, or not dripping at all. So it is not negative, it is not detected.

An indeterminate result would be the case where you were not sure if the sink was wet or not. This would probably listed as non-conclusive, and require a retest.

I'm just a Lab Rat (environmental, not medical, but this holds for almost every lab test)  trying to put this in easy to understand terms 🙂

I am a retired Med Tech in the field over 40 years, and your explanation is spot on.  That 95 per cent confidence range is the laboratory standard for releasing results.  If the confidence range is lower which is the case for very few lab test the results are released with a disclaimer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DandDM said:

For those that ordered and received the emed tests, did the shipment require a signature, and if so, did it need to be the addressee?  I'm willing to buy the six pack to get ahead of the rush of orders, but traveling and won't be home for another ten days (then have four days before leaving for cruise...).

thanks

I would definitely have it go to a friend or relatives house. Could they be shipped to where you will be?

7 hours ago, TytalusWarden said:

I'd be fine with $40 each.  They have to buy them, receive them, split the 6-packs (or however they receive them, it'll probably be in bulk) then individually ship them out.  For a solo traveler like myself $40 is more than fine, way better than buying six of them at $150 for a single cruise then having no use for the other 5!

My pack of 6 came in 6 boxes so when you open the box you are only opening one test kit.

• Like 2

I submitted an insurance claim for my BinaxNow test. The receipt has all the medical codes so I think there's a good chance you can get reimbursed. Even so, the industry hasn't had revenue for how long? I'm so desperate for a vacation I don't mind paying for my own test.

As for testing at the terminal, I don't think that's a good idea. Waiting at check-in with hundreds of other untested passengers increases the likelihood of somebody bringing COVID onboard. Much safer to test in your hometown so you know you can't travel.

I think about how disappointed I'll be if I test positive before my cruise... but just imagine packing your bags, driving or flying to the port, handing off your luggage, getting in line for your test, and then finding out you are positive. Devastating! Better to get it done beforehand.

• Like 6

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

Hi, is this the one we should order,  thinking of doing this as my back up for Oct cruise if we cannot get tested locally given the high volume and staff shortage .  This new 2 day rule makes it challenging when flying in day before etc and real life aka working. 😌

Appreciate the help

• Like 3

6 hours ago, libbismom said:

A number of people seemed to be frustrated with Royal because of these changes (2 day for vaccinated, PCR only for unvaccinated children).  These are in direct response to the recent CDC updated recommendations.

I think Royal is still trying to follow the CDC guidance, maybe hoping the CSO will be allowed to expire at the end of October. And other cruise lines announced changing to these protocols this week before Royal did. 

It would not surprise me if none of these protocols change even if and when the CSO expires

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

My pack of 6 came in 6 boxes so when you open the box you are only opening one test kit.

6 minutes ago, SConnolly said:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

Hi, is this the one we should order,  thinking of doing this as my back up for Oct cruise if we cannot get tested locally given the high volume and staff shortage .  This new 2 day rule makes it challenging when flying in day before etc and real life aka working. 😌

Appreciate the help

Hi, So you order 6 but can anyone  use the individual tests that’s traveling or no it’s just you, and linked to you only.   Recently we travelled to UK and the tests in the UK itself we’re per individual, it got messy as I had ordered 2 and ended up missing one. Thankfully sorted. 

9 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

After you're infected with COVID the virus takes a while to replicate enough for there to be enough virus to register a positive test result.  The more days before a cruise you are tested, less likely you are to test positive even if you're already infected. 

So let's say you got infected 4 days before your cruise.  Getting tested 3 vs. 2 days before the cruise could be the difference between the virus having replicated enough to test negative vs. positive.

Any statistics available as to the impact between the 2 sets of days.   Also, are any other venues/activities  where the 3/2 days testing is  required/recommended by the CDC.  The reason for my asking is that I had Cataract surgery and the testing needed to be done 5/6 days prior to surgery,  Also, the surgeon instructed to quarantine from test date to surgery date.  However, this is on the honor system as no one can control if the individual is actually quarantining,

The Binax 2-pack tests are sold at pharmacies ($19.99 for two) near me and I use one once a week for my job. I would suggest if you have access to some, purchase a two pack and “practice” before your proctored test with eMed. We sail Sept 17 and we have already ordered and have received our eMed tests, but I will self test on the Monday before (with my 2-pack home test) for a couple reasons.(One major one is if I get a positive, I won’t pack and have more room to cancel and a negative test will yield a self imposed quarantine until testing day) The first time I did the test it was a bit overwhelming going through the steps and now I can practically do them in my sleep. 

I realize I can’t control the process but this makes me feel a bit more in control of crazy, but necessary testing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I checked and here is the confusion of expiration dates. This pdf link refers to lot number 195-200. Mine says 195-100 so I have no idea if these kits have an extended expiration date. Anyone have ideas. The phone number I called says they are closed now and try on Monday. I sure would like some answers soon.

12 hours ago, Tinkbelle87 said:

Oh interesting! So far I've found a pdf with a product number of 195-000 but not 195-100. I'll keep digging.

12 hours ago, FPP777 said:

I’m at work and don’t have my test kits with me, but reading the pdf, it would appear there are part numbers (195-100) and lot numbers. The specific lot number is listed on the 2-10 pages. It shows basically all tests are extended 3 months. This has also been discussed ad nauseam on other threads.  

There are two numbers on the box. 195-100 is the reference number, and right below it is a second number next to the "Lot" icon. This is the lot number you need to find on the list. Ours is 146400 which according to the referenced PDF is good until January 2022.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sianli said:

Is this only for cruises from the USA? 

It would appear the USA, Bahamas and UK....

For cruises departing from EU ports, fully vaccinated guests do not require a pre-test but will get a complimentary rapid antigen test at the terminal on boarding day. 

For some reason, cruises departing Southampton require all guests to provide a negative test taken within 3 days prior to boarding with none required at the terminal on boarding day but unvaccinated guests 2-17 will get a complimentary rapid antigen test at the terminal . 

Getting ready to cruise

Edited by icsys

2 hours ago, SConnolly said:

Hi, So you order 6 but can anyone  use the individual tests that’s traveling or no it’s just you, and linked to you only.   Recently we travelled to UK and the tests in the UK itself we’re per individual, it got messy as I had ordered 2 and ended up missing one. Thankfully sorted. 

I haven't used mine yet, but when I ordered them, I had to list the people who would be using it.  So I believe anyone you list at order time could use them, but can't confirm that yet.

16 minutes ago, Murphy said:

I haven't used mine yet, but when I ordered them, I had to list the people who would be using it.  So I believe anyone you list at order time could use them, but can't confirm that yet.

Ordering names are separate from the profiles set up in the application.  Ordering needs prescriptions to dispense the tests, while the app needs names for who goes on the proof documents.  🙂

12 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

I’m a TA with a limited older client base….with this announcement I now have 12 bookings the guests want cancellations and REFUNDS, Plus I will NOT play cruise roulette with multiple Trans Atlantic’s planned next year and a B2B2B from Amsterdam in July.

I’m sure many cruisers will go no matter what and good for you, but based on my small sample size, RC will have no issues with capacity but ARE having issues with bookings.

RC just announcing a Travel Agent Bonus commission booster for booking in September.

Good luck with that.

If this is the new normal, I’m selling my RC stock.

Stay Safe all.

Is Royal giving refunds if you have an NRD.  I would cancel if I knew I could get a full refund.

For those who previously purchased  the at home test kits, were the screening questions about why you are purchasing the kit in place at that time, or have they been added since Royal's announcement? 

Since there wasn't an option for pre-travel testing to leave the US as required by CDC, my order was ineligible at this time.

24 minutes ago, powelweb said:

For those who previously purchased  the at home test kits, were the screening questions about why you are purchasing the kit in place at that time, or have they been added since Royal's announcement? 

Since there wasn't an option for pre-travel testing to leave the US as required by CDC, my order was ineligible at this time.

Yes, they were there, and I entered, “need for rentering US”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, powelweb said:

Answer the question regarding needing the test to re-enter the U.S.  "yes" and you should be good to go.

9 hours ago, The Lehmanns said:

I submitted an insurance claim for my BinaxNow test. The receipt has all the medical codes so I think there's a good chance you can get reimbursed. Even so, the industry hasn't had revenue for how long? I'm so desperate for a vacation I don't mind paying for my own test.

As for testing at the terminal, I don't think that's a good idea. Waiting at check-in with hundreds of other untested passengers increases the likelihood of somebody bringing COVID onboard. Much safer to test in your hometown so you know you can't travel.

I think about how disappointed I'll be if I test positive before my cruise... but just imagine packing your bags, driving or flying to the port, handing off your luggage, getting in line for your test, and then finding out you are positive. Devastating! Better to get it done beforehand.

Thank you, this is exactly what I have been saying🤩

• Thanks 1