Alaska Packing

smh071

My family and I will go on our first Alaska cruise in 2022. We have been on several Caribbean cruises over the years but not Alaska. I am looking for recommendations for excursions, and most important PACKING. I have no Idea what to expect for the weather and cold. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Scoot over to the Alaska Cruise Critic forum.  At the top of the index page you will find a thread titled something like "2019 resources for planning ..." which is a list of websites.  Start by reading the local visitor's bureau guide for the ports you will be visiting.  And also read the trip reports.

Through the years there have been packing lists for Alaska posted on that forum.  Just be prepared for rain so you will need a rain proof (not water resistant) outer layer.  You will dress in layers as Alaska is one of those places where if you don't like the weather just wait ten minutes and it will change.

For Alaska the key is layers and rain gear. Parts of Alaska,  like Ketchikan,  are technically rain forests.  Plan accordingly,  rain resistant gear or ponchos more practical than umbrellas.  Hats, gloves, and scarves may be appropriate depending what you intend to do on land.  And their shops have lots of cute shirts and hoodies so consider room for souvenir purchases as well

34 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hats, gloves, and scarves may be appropriate depending what you intend to do on land. 

And for when you're on the water in excursions, a warm layer for under the rain jacket even if you don't need it on land that day. If you tend to feel cold - I see that the original post in this thread came from Florida - an additional warm layer might be a good idea all the time (in other words, two warm layers).

3 hours ago, smh071 said:

My family and I will go on our first Alaska cruise in 2022. We have been on several Caribbean cruises over the years but not Alaska. I am looking for recommendations for excursions, and most important PACKING. I have no Idea what to expect for the weather and cold. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

waterproof shoes, waterproof jacket, quick dry pants for most shore excursions and a warm sweater, hat, mitts, and a packable winter jacket would be ideal for glacier viewing. I invested in the quick dry pants and waterproof shoes for our cruise and I have worn them so much ever since. You may want your Florida clothes for Victoria though.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I always check the Weather Channel website before our cruise. I put in all our stops, and can get a general idea what the weather will be like. Haven't gone wrong yet.

Alaska is a little different because of the changes in weather which can be quite sudden.   We went on a great excursion in the fjord off the ship onto a Catamaran.   It was raining and temps were in the high 30s. The ship brought us back to the city where we were in shorts weather.    My biggest concern was not bringing clothing to dress up for dinner but in bringing layered clothes for excursions.   

I don't remember which city it was in but wife and I took an excursion into a state park where they had a Zip line course set up in the forest.   It had I believe 10 zip lines on the course, the longest being around 1000 feet, don't know the age of your kids but they would probably enjoy.  Its pretty cool being on a zip line up pretty high and you look down and see a mama bear with her babies.  

The aforementioned excursion on the Catmaran was great as we went to places the cruise ship could not.  I believe there is a recent thread on this excursion.

Edited by dkjretired

On the glacier day and on a small boat whale watching I wore a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie and a light waterproof winter coat. Hat and mitts. 
On the regular stops I mostly wore the same layers but with a summer waterproof rain coat. Hat and mitts sometimes. 

I’m always cold. My husband who is always warm, mostly wore a tshirt, hoody and spring coat. 

9 hours ago, smh071 said:

....  My wife pointed out that I should have noted that we are cruising the beginning of June. Does that info change anyone's recommendations?

May tends to be one of the drier months in SE Alaska.  That being said you will still need to be prepared for rain and be prepared to layer.

On our mid-June Alaskan cruise we carried lightweight down jackets and vests that take up very little space when packed.    It looks like you live in Florida so might not have much need for those items otherwise so could wait to look for sales next March.   (My jacket was inexpensive, came from Amazon and was perfect though.)  Coupled with long sleeve tech type t shirts, a lightweight hooded rain jacket, gloves and a hat and we were fine.   I’ll also add that onboard, day or night, it was the most casually dressed cruise of any we have been on.  

9 hours ago, smh071 said:

My wife pointed out that I should have noted that we are cruising the beginning of June. Does that info change anyone's recommendations?

Early June will be a little cooler and drier (but hardly dry) than other times in the Summer. It's actually a wonderful time to be up there. Excellent wildlife viewing (except for salmon, which may not be running yet).

The only time you really need cold weather gear is if you are visiting a glacier. Otherwise, you can see temperatures in the 50s, 80s, and everything in between (and maybe in the same day).

Much, if not all, the rain you'll see will be light or mist. It could last 15 minutes or all day. Layers definitely are called for. A good way to go is to have a lightweight shirt (quick dry is good) for a bottom layer and a waterproof shell for a top layer that you can zip or unzip as needed. In between is a matter is up to you. Some wear another shirt or a fleece. Others (like me) who don't get cold easily skip a middle layer or just have one handy in a backpack if needed. A baseball cap or other lightweight hat comes in very handy.

Pants are what makes you comfortable. I agree with the recommendation of quick dry, but jeans also work fine. 

Waterproof shoes (check out hiking shoes) and wool socks are a great way to go. 

2 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I’ll also add that onboard, day or night, it was the most casually dressed cruise of any we have been on.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Alaskan cruises are very casual. 

Early June MIGHT be cooler. We went to Alaska in late May and there was a heat wave- it was warmer there than in San Diego. For sure check the weather before you go- we didn't and had no hot weather clothes (it was 85 degrees in Anchorage!) Layers are good and it can rain. And it could snow, depending on where you will go. But generally the weather should be reasonable at that time of year 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

.....   I’ll also add that onboard, day or night, it was the most casually dressed cruise of any we have been on.  

I read the trip reports on the Alaska Cruise Critic forum, and this statement seems to be true for every cruise line.  Even though we live in Alaska we periodically do Alaska itineraries, and the dress is noticeably more casual on an Alaska itinerary.

I second the waterproof type hiker shoe with wool socks.  Check out the Merrell hiker.  If you take a water proof thin jacket, layer with long underwear tops and some kind of sweater.  I always get cold so a hat and gloves were needed on our small boat excursion and walking the deck on sea days.  

We lucked out with sun the whole week in August!!