Why to get non-monitored home tests

rj59

Based on recent stories, this is why I think people might want to get home tests for peace of mind, which are available as OTC Abbott home tests at Walmart and drug stores (not the monitored ones that meet cruise travel requirements). 

1. By shortening the window to 2 days for a test, if you test positive you have to jump through hoops to get your cruise refunded and if you're already at or headed to the port, you'd either have to quarantine or risk infecting others. If you take a home test 3-5 days before your cruise, you not only can cancel under CWC and quarantine at home. You might also have time to get a rapid PCR test to see if the antigen test was a false positive, which would allow you to go on the cruise if your 2-day-window test is negative also. 

2. If you or someone in your group is vulnerable category for breakthrough hospitalization, then I would test 4 days or so before the cruise, then the one for the protocols, test while on board, and after the cruise. That way you have the best chance of avoiding the fate of the Carnival grandma sent off the ship in Belize and dying in the US. More testing might have caught it early enough to save her, as well as the minor cost of travel insurance. 

3. If you develop symptoms on board, you either report it and are immediately quarantined, or else you don't report it, so you don't report it and hope it's not serious, which could delay treatment and spread infection. If you take a home test on board in case you have suspicious symptoms, you can put your mind at rest and avoid stress and quarantine. If you want even more peace of mind after waiting in shuttles and airports and riding in planes, you can take one at home too. They're only about $10 for the unmonitored OTC version, so it might make sense as another form of assurance and insurance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was tested today by CVS. I went online 2 weeks out by midnight to schedule and be the first on the website to make sure I got a time. Didnt bother with a 2nd appointment like some.

I asked the nurse giving the test about if they are running out like other CVS stores. She said no they have slots for about 45 a day but only enough tests for about 33 a day, so they only schedule 33 a day and dont schedule more than they have tests for. .. what a concept.

I still dont see why they cant get more tests, but works for me.

She also said she is doing a lot of rapid tests for cruisers. I personally dont want to learn zoom to cruise. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was tested today by CVS. I went online 2 weeks out by midnight to schedule and be the first on the website to make sure I got a time. Didnt bother with a 2nd appointment like some.

I asked the nurse giving the test about if they are running out like other CVS stores. She said no they have slots for about 45 a day but only enough tests for about 33 a day, so they only schedule 33 a day and dont schedule more than they have tests for. .. what a concept.

I still dont see why they cant get more tests, but works for me.

She also said she is doing a lot of rapid tests for cruisers. I personally dont want to learn zoom to cruise. 

I agree...I don't want to learn Zoom either...I saw a poster's zoom video and have no interest !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I wouldn't want to be wasting more money on test kits either. 

This too!  Maybe people have money to burn. I'm at home alone and not doing social things. Other than the grocery store I am rarely around others. 

I dont feel I need or want to pay for or do more testing. If I get sick, then I will but not as some seem to need peace of mind. 

• Like 2

Why would anyone have to learn Zoom to cruise?  Its a simple process on the app that my 8 year old nephew could figure out in seconds I bet.  I don't remember using Zoom at all.  If one can figure out cruise critic they are more than tech savvy enough to do the simple test in front of their phone. Its literally one of the simplest things ive ever done. Each to their own though 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 11

36 minutes ago, ryano said:

If one can figure out cruise critic they are more than tech savvy enough to do the simple test in front of their phone. Its literally one of the simplest things ive ever done. Each to their own though 

This was my exact thought.  If you are chatting here, the only additional concern is whether or not your hair is sticking up, amiright?  😉

Screenshot_20210908-222307_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I agree...I don't want to learn Zoom either...I saw a poster's zoom video and have no interest !!

It's not Zoom.  It's just a webcam connection with the proctor/website.  Nothing to learn.  You just go to the website and it connects you to someone on the other end.  Zoom is whole other animal.

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Why would anyone have to learn Zoom to cruise?  Its a simple process on the app that my 8 year old nephew could figure out in seconds I bet.  I don't remember using Zoom at all.  If one can figure out cruise critic they are more than tech savvy enough to do the simple test in front of their phone. Its literally one of the simplest things ive ever done. Each to their own though 

I think some think the only way to connect with someone via webcam is on Zoom lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tested after getting home from an overnight shift, hair was definitely not it's best. I promise you they don't care what you look like. I'm not convinced they even cared what my card showed, they do see it but they ask you to interpret it and declare your results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

It's not zoom. It's all done thru the app. You do nothing but click a box on your phone, iPad or computer monitor. 

I guess you don't get us old school....I don't do app's either and if I could I would take my desktop with me when I cruise :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The topic is about purchasing non-monitored home tests for your own edification. And I just don't see the point. I think the monitored/certified home tests are a useful thing to use to satisfy the cruise requirements. I have no problem with downloading the app or ease of use. 

But I don't think there is any point in spending additional money on a useless home test. Unless there is some particular reason you need to do one. They are not accepted for anything official here. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

I guess you don't get us old school....I don't do app's either and if I could I would take my desktop with me when I cruise :classic_biggrin:

What I find funny is that people talk about being "too old" to use apps or smart phones.  Well, I'm 61 and use both all the time.  My parents are 83 and also use several apps and their smart phones.  The answer to not knowing is to just do it and learn.  Apps are easy and great.  You can order and pay for things without having to pull out a credit card or cash.  You have maps for everywhere and directions given to you by voice.  There's nothing to fear lol.

I'm not about to test before I leave home just in case because the reality is, you could be neg at home and a day later pop a positive after you've left.   The only thing I wish is that they would test at the port, or even set up a testing location for each cruise the day before and the day of away from the actual port check in.  The reality is, you can't prevent everything but some seem to think you can.  The vast majority of vaccinated people who turn up positive aren't even sick.  The very few that get very sick or die have other conditions already. People talk about the vulnerable and immunocompromised like Covid is the only reason they can't do some things, but the reality is those people should already have been living their life with precautions as they're susceptible to getting very sick from other viruses already.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rj59 said:

If you take a home test on board in case you have suspicious symptoms, you can put your mind at rest and avoid stress and quarantine.

unfortunately, if you read the reviews for those particular tests, they give a lot of false negatives. People followed it up by PCR or antigen tests which were positive...

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

I wouldn't want to be wasting more money on test kits either. 

Totally agree. Totally unnecessary. We travel frequently. We’re on our third cruise since restart. We take precautions before each cruise (chill the two weeks before cruise and minimize high risk activities) and test as required to travel and cruise. 

• Like 1

I realize for some, tests are easily available at your local drugstores, etc. But in some places, people may have to drive an hour or more to find one, or have had appts. cancelled at the last minute. 
I retired with almost 40 years in communications, so I have kept up with electronic stuff. I love my IPad mini.. I can have my games, movies, music, books, emails, all in one place, and it’s small and lightweight to go anywhere. I got my first one as a birthday gift back in 2010, and I’ve never looked back. 
I can also FaceTime my kids and grandkids whether I’m home or on a cruise ship. I see the at home testing basically a FT call, although we can’t see other end.

People have to do what works for them, and nobody is wrong in their choice. To some, buying home kits may be a waste of money, but we all know others that we think waste money on things we would never think of.