Any negatives associated with aft-facing Aqua cabins on M Class Ships

Ken the cruiser

When on the  balcony we could hear the movie  from above very clearly.  About 4 pm there would be a duo playing in the Sunset bar below us and Bohemian Rhapsody booming above us.  We couldn’t hear the movie or music inside.  The thing I found puzzling was they played R rated moves in afternoon and then at 6 started playing G rated movies.  

I think maybe the movie noise thing tends to vary by cruise?    I'll admit I haven't sailed those far aft cabins, but have sailed in Deck 11 AQ cabins several times.  We sometimes could hear the noise from the movie on our balcony, but it was never loud.  I can't imagine being a few cabins further aft would make that much difference?  Or would it?  I think the sound level tends to vary by ship/sailing.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jelayne said:

When on the  balcony we could hear the movie  from above very clearly.  About 4 pm there would be a duo playing in the Sunset bar below us and Bohemian Rhapsody booming above us.  We couldn’t hear the movie or music inside.  The thing I found puzzling was they played R rated moves in afternoon and then at 6 started playing G rated movies.  

Thanks for your insight! So do they play movies constantly above the aft cabins and is there a band playing pretty much every evening. Sounds kind of annoying if it’s going on continually from say 6 pm to midnight. 

Hi, other person said noise is sometimes an issue from movies. Also, If it is a port side cabin you could get some from sunset bar at night. In and out of port you sometimes get soot from the flumes. So if you are in a warm weather port you could experience some of these two. We have sailed in them several times and the pluses outweigh the minuses. 

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for your insight! So do they play movies constantly above the aft cabins and is there a band playing pretty much every evening. Sounds kind of annoying if it’s going on continually from say 6 pm to midnight. 

I am not certain if they play movies constantly, but jelayne’s comments ring true with what I experienced in aft facing A1 on deck 11 on Infinity in November 2016. I personally would not book it again.  However, I have booked a Sunset Verandah on deck 7 on Constellation in 2022 hoping it will be far enough from the movie. 

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

Hi, other person said noise is sometimes an issue from movies. Also, If it is a port side cabin you could get some from sunset bar at night. In and out of port you sometimes get soot from the flumes. So if you are in a warm weather port you could experience some of these two. We have sailed in them several times and the pluses outweigh the minuses. 

This is definitely what we wanted to here as we do love aft-facing cabins!

The movies started at noon and ended at 10.  I think the noise level is, in part, dependent on what movies they are showing.  Bohemian Rhapsody can be very loud as we’re the other ones during the afternoon on our sailing.   We were cruising in the summer and every time we checked to see how many people were watching movies in the afternoon there wasn’t a soul around. 

we loved the location, large balcony, quick access to the Sunset Bar and OV.  We would book one again and hope for movies that aren’t so loud.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The movies started at noon and ended at 10.  I think the noise level is, in part, dependent on what movies they are showing.  Bohemian Rhapsody can be very loud as we’re the other ones during the afternoon on our sailing.   We were cruising in the summer and every time we checked to see how many people were watching movies in the afternoon there wasn’t a soul around. 

we loved the location, large balcony, quick access to the Sunset Bar and OV.  We would book one again and hope for movies that aren’t so loud.

Thanks! That gives us more hope for peaceful evenings on the balcony looking at the stars. We also have an Aug 2022 Greenland/Iceland B2B booked in an aft-facing AQ cabin on the Summit and hopefully the cooler weather up north will keep the outside noise levels down as well.

Those 5 aft cabins are the best. Grab it! I have been in 4 of those 5 on Summit and if I can't get one of those cabins I book a regular veranda and check every day and hope one opens up. The noise from the movies never bothered us and you hear nothing inside. The balconies are amazing.

Laura

• Thanks 1

Just now, Laurab23 said:

Those 5 aft cabins are the best. Grab it! I have been in 4 of those 5 on Summit and if I can't get one of those cabins I book a regular veranda and check every day and hope one opens up. The noise from the movies never bothered us and you hear nothing inside. The balconies are amazing.

Laura

Thanks Laura! I’ve been doing fake bookings every few days for the past month or so and, today, one magically popped up. After talking with the DW, we put it on hold and will be talking with our CVP tomorrow, especially after reading the mostly positive vibes we’ve received on this thread, to see if we can switch our existing AQ booking over to this cabin.

Be glad you have a hold on a cabin in our favorite area of the ship.

We've been in four of the cabins, some more than once,  and it's the best of the A-1's. 

When Celebrity banished the smokers from the Sunset bar it got quieter late at night - well past 10.

Enjoy, and you will!!!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alcpa1 said:

Be glad you have a hold on a cabin in our favorite area of the ship.

We've been in four of the cabins, some more than once,  and it's the best of the A-1's. 

When Celebrity banished the smokers from the Sunset bar it got quieter late at night - well past 10.

Enjoy, and you will!!!!

Thanks!!! 😎

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think maybe the movie noise thing tends to vary by cruise?    I'll admit I haven't sailed those far aft cabins, but have sailed in Deck 11 AQ cabins several times.  We sometimes could hear the noise from the movie on our balcony, but it was never loud.  I can't imagine being a few cabins further aft would make that much difference?  Or would it?  I think the sound level tends to vary by ship/sailing.  

Have never sailed in these cabins, but heard people complain on the summit about foot traffic and noise. Better midship , cabins above and below. 

2 hours ago, Sphynxlady said:

Which aft cabins on S class ships have an overhang to provide shade? Hope this doesn’t hi jack M class discussion. Thanks!

The aft-facing cabins on deck 12 of the Equinox appear to be the only ones that have a covered balcony. I believe the other S class ships are designed in the same manner.

4493072023_84c06daf86_z.jpg

Edited by Ken the cruiser

12 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

When we book an Aqua stateroom on a M-class ship we only book the aft deck 11 ones.  Noise from the movies hasn’t been an issue for us and the music at the Sunset Bar isn’t a band but one or two folks (ie, one person playing a guitar and the other one singing).

We are in 1105 on Infinity (in another year!).  If you step out to the balcony are you hearing the movie and the Sunset Bar music going at the same time?  Doesn't that get distracting?  I hope to sit down at the Sunset Bar anyway so hopefully we don't hear the movie from there?! 

What time does the music start at the Sunset Bar?

We are trying an Aqua aft cabin on Infinity because it's a Mediterranean cruise and we hope for smooth sailing (Best of Spain & Portugal), October 12, 2022. The other option is deck 9 and our preference would be for mid ship.  The reviews for those cabins are mixed.  Some say they are quiet, some cabins get noise from above.

14 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

👍Second that for M class Aqua afts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The aft-facing cabins on deck 12 of the Equinox appear to be the only ones that have a covered balcony. I believe the other S class ships are designed in the same manner.

4493072023_84c06daf86_z.jpg

They are the only ones with a fully covered balcony, but we've sailed one deck lower and had a partially covered balcony that offered ample shade for us. This photo gives a good idea of our balcony for 1674 on Deck 11:

IMG_0072.thumb.jpeg.c6535a0a29e4e3c78f1f241dc485639f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Band? No.

Generally a solo or duet with a guitar or two, playing for maybe an hour.  Not loud and not every night.  Unfortunate since that's a great location to sit and relax with a bit of live music playing. 

The movies above can be loud, depending on what's playing.  They're honestly one of the most confusing things that X does as there is rarely more than a small handful of people watching (if that).  

• Thanks 1