Gala nights

sandancer

4 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

How far out there do people go with 20s night

I was trying to do a hairstyle this morning 

Last week on Queen Elizabeth Al Capone and a character from Peaky Blinders (British TV series) made an appearance in the MDR.  Otherwise feather boas,  headdresses sold in the ships shop along with white hats for men. People did wear some 1920s fashion formal or otherwise, but probably the majority in regular formal dress. Cunard have now gone to the trouble of putting an A5 printed card in the cabin the night before to explain about the roaring 20's and what the theme might entail with themed events.

Edited by Matelot70

5 hours ago, rakkor said:

image.thumb.jpeg.08b2f4f2ec069266bf7f42a909c43542.jpeg

Masquerade Gala night attire - That's about as much effort as we make.

@rakkor I had the same thoughts. We both wear glasses which complicates it. But now, if we’re still wearing our covid masks, I’m going to “dress them up.” Thanks for your picture - you both look great.

10 hours ago, techteach said:

@rakkor I had the same thoughts. We both wear glasses which complicates it. But now, if we’re still wearing our covid masks, I’m going to “dress them up.” Thanks for your picture - you both look great.

As do we - Those masks are on sticks which makes it easy. Fancy, sparkly and co-ordinated Covid masks were very much on show on our August Sun Voyage, which added an elegant touch to the necessary safety measures.

• 5 months later...

Someone has posted a link to all the scheduled theme nights on the Transatlantic crossings on this site, but I only copied the section for ours,  which is a 14 day round trip from 18th October to 1 November,  so it is two Gala nights each way, covering all the themes.

It is all very well leaving a card the day before the theme night as a reminder, but tips for what to wear is leaving things rather late!

No description available.

Edited by WestonOne
added comment

Our theme night is Gala Masquerade. What is suggested to wear to the Masquerade. Do people wear full costumes or only cover their face. We live near Disney so we have many costumes we could buy... just not sure if that would be appropriate.

2 hours ago, ael123 said:

Our theme night is Gala Masquerade. What is suggested to wear to the Masquerade. Do people wear full costumes or only cover their face. We live near Disney so we have many costumes we could buy... just not sure if that would be appropriate.

We took two Venetian masks with us on our very first Cunard experience eleven years ago.

After a quick foray around the ship before dinner for a recce on the subject, the masks stayed in our cabin. We've never taken them since the first cruise.

Some of the dancers wear them in the ball room and you might see a few fellow passengers in   masquerade outfits, but that's about it.

10 hours ago, ael123 said:

Just wear an evening gown and add a mask if you want to. I would not advise going Disney you'll stick out like a sore thumb and be mortified lol. Just enjoy the opportunity to dress in your best dress/suit. 

13 minutes ago, techteach said:

I’m not sure if you’re serious or not!? 🙂

On our crossing there was a mask making activity and many of the ladies wore their creations that evening. We bought $1 Marci Gras masks from the Party Store on our masquerade evening…for about 5 minutes. We were dancing and they were uncomfortable.

39 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

On our crossing there was a mask making activity and many of the ladies wore their creations that evening. We bought $1 Marci Gras masks from the Party Store on our masquerade evening…for about 5 minutes. We were dancing and they were uncomfortable.

@Tonopah I appreciate the information. I was going to buy something at the Bellagio in Vegas, they have a Cirque de Soleil shop, but I wasn’t looking forward to hauling them from Seattle to London to Southampton. I’ve heard they also have masks available on-board for purchase.

4 hours ago, techteach said:

@Tonopah ...I was going to buy something at the Bellagio in Vegas,....

There are Chinese shopping sites selling masquerade masks from around $1. You probably need to buy something else to get free delivery.

• Like 1

On our past sailings, we have only seen simple masks preferred dark or black.

There is a table at the entrance of the Queens Room that also sells them.

Also we have seen a Mask Making gathering early in the day by the Entertaining Staff with some material to develop your own.

We really never saw anyone in a costume during our years onboard. Maybe around the Mardi Gras time of year.

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Given that masks have been required attire for so long and so many appear to wish a continuance into the deep future a Masked Ball would seem rather outré.

Masks have been required attire?