Greenland and Canadian ports?

RoperDK

51 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Anyone been?  What did you enjoy about it?  I have always wanted to go to Iceland, too.  There's not much info out there on these infrequent cruises.  I wonder if they are worth the expense and travel difficulties?

The original one for this year or next year, I believe was a one way but it sold out fast, I think a round trip to Greenland will also be extremely popular. Wish they would post the full itinerary a head of time but I think we think it’s worth it. 

• Thanks 1

Our trip to Iceland was on Cunard in 2019, and it was great. We did a overnight in Reykjavik; the first day we did a Golden Circle tour, and the second day we took a shuttle into Reykjavik and did our own DIY walking tour.  Our time was shorter than originally scheduled; our next port was Corner Brook, Newfoundland, and we were supposed to take a northern route. They opted for the southern route instead - too much ice - and we had to leave Reykjavik earlier than planned. (Yeah, I saw that movie too.😮)

With Carnival, we've done numerous cruises that ported in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Saint John, New Brunswick - both very friendly ports that are well worth visiting. They're both easily walkable if you don't want to take an excursion.

We had the British Isles cruise on Carnival Legend booked for 2021, but of course it was cancelled - along with the other special North Atlantic cruises. We couldn't reschedule for 2022 since we rescheduled two 2020 cruises for 2022, and right now we have an August 2023 Mississippi River trip booked. If something looks promising earlier in 2023, though, we'd love to go.

• Thanks 1

According to John Heald it will be released for booking tomorrow and is a 14 day round trip from Baltimore on the Legend in September of 2023 stopping in Newfoundland and St. Anthony Greenland along with a couple stop i couldnt even pronounce let alone spell.  He has been bugging Carnival to redo this cruise since the last time they did it when he was a Cruise Director.  Am going to be up super early to check it out as im thinking of moving my November Hawaii Cruise over to that Cruise.

• Like 1

This was posted elsewhere, I am pretty excited about this cruise. 

Unofficial Cruise Itinerary - To be confirmed tomorrow.
09/02/2023 SAT BALTIMORE, 6:00 PM
09/03/2023 SUN FUN DAY AT SEA
09/04/2023 MON FUN DAY AT SEA
09/05/2023 TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
09/06/2023 WED FUN DAY AT SEA
09/07/2023 THU FUN DAY AT SEA
09/08/2023 FRI NANORTALIK, GREENLAND 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM Complimentary water shuttle service
09/09/2023 SAT QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM Complimentary water shuttle service
09/10/2023 SUN FUN DAY AT SEA
09/11/2023 MON ST. ANTHONY, NL, CANADA 7:00 - 4:00 Complimentary water shuttle service
09/12/2023 TUE CORNER BROOK, NL, CANADA 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
09/13/2023 WED SYDNEY, NS, CANADA 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
09/14/2023 THU FUN DAY AT SEA
09/15/2023 FRI FUN DAY AT SEA
09/16/2023 SAT BALTIMORE, MD 10:00 AM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

According to John Heald it will be released for booking tomorrow and is a 14 day round trip from Baltimore on the Legend in September of 2023 stopping in Newfoundland and St. Anthony Greenland along with a couple stop i couldnt even pronounce let alone spell.  He has been bugging Carnival to redo this cruise since the last time they did it when he was a Cruise Director.  Am going to be up super early to check it out as im thinking of moving my November Hawaii Cruise over to that Cruise.

Right I just got Greenland and Canada out of it and how much fun John H had the last time he did Greenland so he sold me!! Now just hope it doesn’t sell out in 2 minutes 😂😂

• Like 2

You might want to look on this board for the Canada ports:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

The Greenland ports mentioned are very small...tender ports...very limited activities available there. Hope to see them on our Holland America cruise there next summer. There are a few cruise lines that do cruises that stop in Iceland and Greenland a couple of times in each summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Yay got one of the last Balcony cabins before they all sold out like two minutes after i booked.  Only a Deck 4 Balcony but will take it.  

I emailed my PVP yesterday and he emailed me at like midnight booked two aft balconies on deck 5 since we just had 2 people in each room said that is the best he could do and we are a couple doors down from each other but I am with you I will take it!! Cannot believe it sold out so fast!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Yay got one of the last Balcony cabins before they all sold out like two minutes after i booked.  Only a Deck 4 Balcony but will take it.  

Balconies were  already sold so I got the last OV available. It sold out in 40 minutes! I really wanted Deck 4 , 4229 but not available. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, RoperDK said:

Anyone been?  What did you enjoy about it?  I have always wanted to go to Iceland, too.  There's not much info out there on these infrequent cruises.  I wonder if they are worth the expense and travel difficulties?

Hurtigruten has cruises to Greenland, the CEO visited Cruise Critic last year for a Q&A and it was fascinating. If I could, I would go on a Greenland cruise tomorrow. 

We have two ports boards for Canada:

Canada/Eastern New England

Canada/Alaska/Pacific Coastal

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We cruised on a NE/Greenland cruise in 2019 on Princess. 

It was a great cruise, but Greenland expectations need to be realistic.  We were realistic and loved them, but there were several people on the cruise who were disappointed because it is not your normal port of call.  Not many services or even places to visit that are normal tourist places. Also, two of the ports are tender ports and in Nanortalik there is only one place for a tender to dock.  It took hours for everyone to get onland.  We were on the first tender and when returning at 3pm, there were still people trying to get on land.  It was really bad. 

We hiked and enjoyed the scenery.  We walked through every part of the towns and found it really fun and interesting.  Just be sure you research and see what it is like via google maps so you know what to expect.  Have a fun trip. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, DonnaMarieNJ said:

I am going on a cruise to Greenland in September 2023.  I came here looking for info.  Thank you everyone for posting....  any bit of information helps.

Us too....  Can't wait !!

On 2/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, DonnaMarieNJ said:

I am going on a cruise to Greenland in September 2023.  I came here looking for info.  Thank you everyone for posting....  any bit of information helps.

I know from experience that there is not a ton of info here on CC about Greenland, but you will find more if you do a search for "Greenland" here in the Northern Europe forum (as well as for the specific ports on your itinerary), and also in the forums for the specific cruise lines, especially HAL, that have been calling at Greenland for years.