EZair charging a $635 change fee - something new?

compozer

22 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

We fly domestic in the US.  However, if we ever fly internationally for a cruise we will consider using EZ Air.

I still didn’t find as good a deal on EZ Air to Europe as I got booking direct from 

Oakland, CA nonstop to Barcelona for $199 each direction base fare a couple years ago.  I’ve noticed with EZ air that they do have some great fares, depending on the route. but So far, it’s always worked out better for me to book directly with the airline. 

Edited by 4cats4me

The whole EZair advertisement just popped up when I signed onto the Princess site. It gives all the advantages of booking through them.

Flexibility to 
Change Flights

Cancel flexible airfare up to 45 days prior to departure with no fees. Plus, book flights now with no amount due until cruise final payment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I still didn’t find as good a deal on EZ Air to Europe as I got booking direct from 

Oakland, CA nonstop to Barcelona for $199 each direction base fare a couple years ago.  I’ve noticed with EZ air that they do have some great fares, depending on the route. but So far, it’s always worked out better for me to book directly with the airline. 

Guess what? Those rates are HISTORY! However, we do like EZAir for international but not domestic.

• Haha 1

Hi Susan,

I am thinking of just canceling both of these cruises and also my two SA ones in March.   I talked to Nancy before I called and she is going to call them.  She said no need for me to call them if she cancels for me.    I really am not very thrilled about the Caribbean since we have been there so many times and do not plan to do any excursions unless I find something really unusual.   Not too exciting about wearing a mask all over the ship.  We enjoy our balcony so much but we might get tired of it after three weeks of nothing else to do.  Then we have to get off the ship to be tested between sailings.   I thought we could go visit some friends that live down there on turn around day but with six ships in port, that is going to be a zoo.    AND I just did the math on how much the suites are costing me.    More than we paid for the Grand suite for the month in Tahiti.   

Sandy I'm with you on the Caribbean.  We had a cruise booked the end of March next year and decided had no desire to go there again.  Ended up booking a TA cruise instead.  Booked it all through Princess this time in case either it or we end up cancelling the cruise.  Being that it is long final payment is this coming November (120) days out.  I'm honestly right now not sure what to even think about it.  Great cruise, but just hesitant still.  We have a turnaround in Southampton for this trip.  Yes prices are crazy.  Will be so curious as to what you find out with this air.  Whole thing just sounds odd as you were at 46 days and shouldn't have been charged or required to pay a fee.  Let me know what happens.  As much as I want to get back to traveling it is a difficult decision as to what is the best to do.

Susan

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I talked to my TA this am and she said she would call Princess for me.    She said I was within the window to cancel the flights and would take care of it.     As we talked, I went over all the negatives I felt about these two cruises.  And then I did the math on what this cruise was costing per day.   I almost fell off my chair.   I booked this after 6 other cruises were canceled for November over the last year.  I just wanted to cruise!     We always book suites and I never really thought that much about the cost.  I could be staying in a great suite at the Four Seasons for a month and have some leftover for what I am paying per day in our suite for the 20 days.    So, she asked if I just wanted to cancel both cruises and I said YES.    She was on hold all day and finally was able to talk to someone after dinner.   Still very unhappy with Princess regarding their customer service.   

Thanks for all the suggestions and help you all gave me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, compozer said:

She was on hold all day and finally was able to talk to someone after dinner.   Still very unhappy with Princess regarding their customer service.   

Seems like they must be still under-staffed.  Monday's are a terrible time to call Princess after pent up needs following the weekend.  My current agent was telling me last week he had several cell phones - one for each cruise line and was often on hold for long times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Seems like they must be still under-staffed.  Monday's are a terrible time to call Princess after pent up needs following the weekend.  My current agent was telling me last week he had several cell phones - one for each cruise line and was often on hold for long times.

My TA does that too.     When I was dealing with the change of ships for Alaska last week, the rep told me the let so many people go last year and now they are having issues finding people.  So, you are correct about being under-staffed and of course Monday is the worst day to call but I wanted to get it settled.    That seems to be happening all over.  Many restaurants around me are closing several days a week and are shortening their hours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, compozer said:

My TA does that too.     When I was dealing with the change of ships for Alaska last week, the rep told me the let so many people go last year and now they are having issues finding people.  So, you are correct about being under-staffed and of course Monday is the worst day to call but I wanted to get it settled.    That seems to be happening all over.  Many restaurants around me are closing several days a week and are shortening their hours.

The last time I talked to my TA,  he said he was basically now alone having let go of all but one member of his staff. The last time before that when I talked to him, I mentioned that his website did not seem to be working; his answer was they could no longer afford to pay for it.

And one has to really feel sorry for them as so much of their work is cancelled cruises by the cruise lines or customers cancelling their booked cruises. Neither makes any commission for them. He also said that if before this started he had known all that would occur, he thinks he would have left the business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The last time I talked to my TA,  he said he was basically now alone having let go of all but one member of his staff. The last time before that when I talked to him, I mentioned that his website did not seem to be working; his answer was they could no longer afford to pay for it.

And one has to really feel sorry for them as so much of their work is cancelled cruises by the cruise lines or customers cancelling their booked cruises. Neither makes any commission for them. He also said that if before this started he had known all that would occur, he thinks he would have left the business.

Sad.  Thanks for sharing.  IDK how they survived.  My current one says he is so busy it is crazy and I don't think it is all cancellations.  But it must be frustrating for them with two step forward and then one back as the cruise lines try and get up and running again.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sad.  Thanks for sharing.  IDK how they survived.  My current one says he is so busy it is crazy and I don't think it is all cancellations.  But it must be frustrating for them with two step forward and then one back as the cruise lines try and get up and running again.

Yes, you could hear the depression in his voice. Not only was he really busy with cancellations, but most of his new bookings were way in the future so the commissions for them were also way in the future. (He did say he had a few sailing at the time, but mostly future cruises.) 

When I read EZ Air was charging $635 to change a  flight my jaw dropped.  For my upcoming cruise in November I checked EZ for flights and prices and they were the exact same as Delta.  Also I have had to change my Delta flights twice and they did not charge me their typical $200 per ticket to change.    Because of Covid, they have dropped those change fees.  I will stick to working directly with the airline.

@onthewebthat's so sad for all sole proprietors. Which is why I only 'shop small' now. I can't imagine double the work for future payments which perhaps eliminates eligibility for UIB because they are working just not getting paid. Except for my PVP. I don't want her laid off

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

@onthewebthat's so sad for all sole proprietors. Which is why I only 'shop small' now. I can't imagine double the work for future payments which perhaps eliminates eligibility for UIB because they are working just not getting paid. Except for my PVP. I don't want her laid off

He is not a sole proprietor, or I guess he wasn't. He is President of his agency, and he did have other agents working for him. Now he is just trying to survive. I previously sent him a small check as a token of how I feel about him, and because on our 2020 cruise that did not happen, he not only did not get a commssion but also had worked extra with me on EZ Air, something he does not get a commission for.

By 'sole proprietor' i meant not working for someone else, a person who owns an unincorporated business by himself and not part of a corporation. I was a sole proprietor (per IRS) with 20 employees at one point. 

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

He is not a sole proprietor, or I guess he wasn't. He is President of his agency, and he did have other agents working for him. Now he is just trying to survive. I previously sent him a small check as a token of how I feel about him, and because on our 2020 cruise that did not happen, he not only did not get a commission but also had worked extra with me on EZ Air, something he does not get a commission for.

I did the same.  So glad others are considering this small token of gratitude.  These travel agents are working their fingers to the bone trying to be the bridge between cruise lines and passengers.  I know my travel agent is an angel and hope cruising gets a solid start. 

• Like 1

I agree that our Ta's are working their tails off with hardly any compensation anymore.   I am trying to figure out what I can do for mine.  Wanted to send her some type of gift card but been so busy that I have not had time to figure what kind to give her.   Years ago, I sent a different one a really nice bottle of wine on a cruise she was taking but I want to do more this time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I did the same.  So glad others are considering this small token of gratitude.  These travel agents are working their fingers to the bone trying to be the bridge between cruise lines and passengers.  I know my travel agent is an angel and hope cruising gets a solid start. 

I am also glad that I was not the only one who did this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, compozer said:

I agree that our Ta's are working their tails off with hardly any compensation anymore.   I am trying to figure out what I can do for mine.  Wanted to send her some type of gift card but been so busy that I have not had time to figure what kind to give her.   Years ago, I sent a different one a really nice bottle of wine on a cruise she was taking but I want to do more this time.

I've sent her flowers, treats for her dog, and most recently a couple of ship ornaments for her tree from the Majestic Princess.  She does love her lemon drop martinis and has posted pictures of them and her dinners from this place if you want to go for a gift certificate (I kept this picture in case I wanted to look into that in the future).

image.png.213632dd39b7ea7b0228ee9304f54599.png

• Like 2

azbirdmom,   You must have realized that we have the same TA.      Great idea for a gift certificate at her favorite spot.    You really are on top of things to have saved that!!!    I remember her talking about getting the ornaments and have seen some beautiful flowers that she has received.   Thanks so much!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I've sent her flowers, treats for her dog, and most recently a couple of ship ornaments for her tree from the Majestic Princess.  She does love her lemon drop martinis and has posted pictures of them and her dinners from this place if you want to go for a gift certificate (I kept this picture in case I wanted to look into that in the future).

image.png.213632dd39b7ea7b0228ee9304f54599.png

I know exactly who you are talking about!

• Like 2