When do I start paying attention to covid protocols for Nov 15 cruise?

BuckeyeMark

I'm trying not to stress out about proctored tests, emed, hurricane season and everything else because things change so fast.  Right now Royal has announced protocols through mid-October.  I'm going in November.  When should I look for an announcement about November?  Anybody have information about upcoming changes?  Expectations about upcoming changes?

I'm all in for doing whatever it takes to make the cruise, follow the rules, protocols, etc.  I'm not trying to ignore or evade anything.  I just don't want to order an expensive covid at home test or do other things if that is about to go away or be changed.

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 1

My guess is that sometime in the first half of October Royal will release their protocols for November, at least the first half. I personally don’t think much will change. 

I believe Royal has announced the protocols for the second half of October.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'm trying not to stress out about proctored tests, emed, hurricane season and everything else because things change so fast.  Right now Royal has announced protocols through mid-October.  I'm going in November.  When should I look for an announcement about November?  Anybody have information about upcoming changes?  Expectations about upcoming changes?

I'm all in for doing whatever it takes to make the cruise, follow the rules, protocols, etc.  I'm not trying to ignore or evade anything.  I just don't want to order an expensive covid at home test or do other things if that is about to go away or be changed.

Royal has already released protocols form2nd half of October, no real changes except for allowing unvaccinated children to do Antigen test prior to arrival at the pier. 
Realistically, I would not expect November protocols to be any different than October 

• Like 1

I hope I don't regret opening my mouth, but I don't see things getting any "tighter".  I cannot think of anything that could get more restricted and still be viable for people to want to cruise.

At some point kids will require vaccinations.  Probably 2 weeks (buffer after announcement) plus 21 days (2nd shot) plus 14 days (after 2nd shot) for it to come into required status.

I definitely don't see November changing, so far it's working ok and they wouldn't want to risk shutting down for December.

Perhaps more flexibility in January, but still dependent on rules from all the countries the ships visit.

We did sail on Independence last month and found it very enjoyable.

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

With everyone vaccinated on certain sailings, I don't understand why the PCR tests.  I guess better to be safe than sorry, and I appreciate all the work that is going into making cruising as safe as possible, but I think this is a bit over the top with everyone vaccinated on board. I guess the stress of "the test" right before the cruise, when there are a million other things going on in my head.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

This is all very helpful.  No kids so we don't have to worry about that.  Both wife and I are vaxxed.

Looks like I'd better start thinking about that testing business.  If the ship sails Monday I need to have the test Saturday or after?

Yes, Saturday or Sunday test for a Monday sailing.

Don't know about your area, but we (in CT) booked an antigen test at a CVS as soon as their two week window opened. We sailed on 9/19, and on 9/4 we scheduled a test for 9/17. Lots of availability. We will do the same for our 10/30 cruise. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

The test may be stressful but just because you are vaxxed doesn't mean you cant get covid. Although the cases weren't high to begin with, the test have really cut down on positive cases on board. So I say expect them to be a thing until at least March of 2022.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I am sailing 14 Nov and received Health and Safety protocols today that include this line:

Please note that these are the protocols currently in place and are subject to change at any time. This includes health protocols for cruises through December 31, 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I am sailing 14 Nov and received Health and Safety protocols today that include this line:

Please note that these are the protocols currently in place and are subject to change at any time. This includes health protocols for cruises through December 31, 2021.

Anything new or different in those protocols?

I just boarded Oasis a few days ago, and I'd say the thing to worry about the most is the COVID test within 2 days of sailing. I would say do NOT do the PCR tests that have a variable time for result (e.g. 1-2 or 2-3 days). Just do the rapid Antigen or rapid PCR test, and you won't lose any sleep since you'll have your result the same day. I myself did both PCR and Antigen (booked the PCR in advance first, scored an antigen last minute), and lucky I did because the PCR test result didn't get to me until 11pm embarkation day. I would not have been able to board if I didn't get that rapid antigen test.

I did just read an announcement from Royal Caribbean that they will begin offering a limited amount of rapid COVID testing appointments at the port on the day of embarkation. 

Either way, just make sure you have your rapid COVID test appointment or approved at-home kit set booked or ordered as early as possible. It was pretty much impossible to get a rapid test appointment near Cape Liberty Port within 2-days of the Cruise via Walgreens or CVS. The only options left were doing it at the airport at the cost of $250. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI:  MSC just changed their health and safety protocols a few hours ago to remove the "through Nov. 1st" restriction for the Bahamian vaccination requirement.  So it looks like the Bahamas will be requiring everyone to be vaccinated indefinitely at this point.  So, if you have an early November cruise and have not yet started the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine process, you might be out of luck since you have to have both doses plus 14 days to be considered fully vaccinated to cruise.  J&J might still work.

17 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Just an FYI:  MSC just changed their health and safety protocols a few hours ago to remove the "through Nov. 1st" restriction for the Bahamian vaccination requirement.  So it looks like the Bahamas will be requiring everyone to be vaccinated indefinitely at this point.  So, if you have an early November cruise and have not yet started the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine process, you might be out of luck since you have to have both doses plus 14 days to be considered fully vaccinated to cruise.  J&J might still work.

Not surprising to hear bahamas extending their vaxxed requirement.  

I expect the CSO will be extended till at least 12.31.21 but not expecting there to be any protocol changes.  

9 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

With everyone vaccinated on certain sailings, I don't understand why the PCR tests.  I guess better to be safe than sorry, and I appreciate all the work that is going into making cruising as safe as possible, but I think this is a bit over the top with everyone vaccinated on board. I guess the stress of "the test" right before the cruise, when there are a million other things going on in my head.  

How do you ensure everyone is vaccinated?  There are ads on the internet for fake COVID vaccination cards.  I have also seen directions on how to fill them out so that the only way to prove the card is not authentic would be to check the states public health records. 

Everyone is not vaxxed, remember those under 12 who can't be yet? Also being vaxxed is not armor but a shield. You can still get it, it just lessen the effects. So I can understand the testing, it has helped. From maybe 12 cases to now where there have been plenty of sailings with none.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

How do you ensure everyone is vaccinated?  There are ads on the internet for fake COVID vaccination cards.  I have also seen directions on how to fill them out so that the only way to prove the card is not authentic would be to check the states public health records. 

Please don't stray from the original post.  The question is when to start paying attention to the protocols, scheduling a test, etc.  THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO DEBATE THE EFFICACY OF COVID VAXX, CAN PEOPLE FORGE THE CARD, SHOULD RCL REQUIRE VAXX OR WHY GREEN WITCHES AND THEIR BAND OF FLYING MONKEYS CAN BE REPELLED BY BUCKETS OF WATER.  I'm the original poster - and I'm getting GOOD INFO here like "protocols prolly won't change" and "Bahamas requiring vaxx" through the end of the year.  Let's keep it focused! I need the good stuff, not an endless debate. Thank you.

• Like 9

Just now, BuckeyeMark said:

I need the good stuff, not an endless debate.

Come on, you've been on CC long enough to know that's not how it works - you'll get it whether you ask for it or not.

Biker, who thinks protocols will loosen in Nov. and the days of easy refunds are numbered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Come on, you've been on CC long enough to know that's not how it works - you'll get it whether you ask for it or not.

Biker, who thinks protocols will loosen in Nov. and the days of easy refunds are numbered.

I agree the days of easy refunds are numbered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Please don't stray from the original post.  The question is when to start paying attention to the protocols, scheduling a test, etc.  THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO DEBATE THE EFFICACY OF COVID VAXX, CAN PEOPLE FORGE THE CARD, SHOULD RCL REQUIRE VAXX OR WHY GREEN WITCHES AND THEIR BAND OF FLYING MONKEYS CAN BE REPELLED BY BUCKETS OF WATER.  I'm the original poster - and I'm getting GOOD INFO here like "protocols prolly won't change" and "Bahamas requiring vaxx" through the end of the year.  Let's keep it focused! I need the good stuff, not an endless debate. Thank you.

My intent was not a debate but rather a statement of support for the current protocols RCI has in place and why. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Anything new or different in those protocols?

Here is the entire email:

Action Required

• Please review the information below regarding Royal Caribbean’s latest update regarding your upcoming sailing.
  • This includes updates to accepted vaccine combinations as well as new pre-cruise testing options.

We appreciate your patience, understanding and continued loyalty. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

More details can be found by visiting Royal Caribbean’s Healthy Sail Center page located at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center.

As you know, for guests departing from U.S. homeports, our stance on mixed vaccines has been one that did not support doses from two different vaccine manufacturers to qualify as being fully vaccinated.   Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) clarified their position, now recognizing a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., 1 dose of Pfizer with 1 dose of Moderna) as fully vaccinated.  The doses must be administered a minimum of 28 days apart.

Given this latest clarification, we have amended our stance to align with the CDC, now recognizing a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as being fully vaccinated to sail onboard our U.S.-based ships.  Regardless of vaccine brand/combination, it remains unchanged that all guests 12 years and older must complete the vaccine series with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to the sailing in order to be recognized as fully vaccinated.     

Additionally, guests who received 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson, with any other vaccine, are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the Johnson & Johnson shot.

Guests whose two-shot regimen consists of 1 mRNA dose (Pfizer or Moderna) with 1 AstraZeneca dose will not be considered vaccinated.

Pre-cruise Testing Options for guests departing from the U.S.

Note: International guests can use these options only once they have arrived in the U.S.

• Option 1: Test anywhere with At-Home Kits
  • Pros: Order a kit and complete your video-supervised test right at home. Results in as little as 15 minutes.
  • Cons: For vaccinated guests only. We recommend ordering a week before you need it. Only ships within U.S.
  • Price: 2 tests for $69.99 USD; 3 tests for $99.99 USD.
  • Option 2: Go with your own local test provider
    • Pros: Secure test at local pharmacy, lab, public test site, or doctor's office. Available to guests 2 years & older.
    • Cons: Can be hard to find. Results could be delayed.
    • Price: Usually free.
    • The Verdict: Cost effective and you'll know your results before traveling to your cruise. Click here to learn about accepted tests.
  • NEW!!  Option 3: Boarding Day Test at port (Limited capacity | For vaccinated guests only)
  • Pros: A last option if you simply can't find a pre-cruise test or could not secure results in time.
  • Cons: For vaccinated guests only. Limited availability by appointment only. Wait up to an hour for results outside of terminal. Positive result unknown until boarding day.
  • Price: Starts at $99 USD per person.
  • The Verdict: Search out other options first, and if no luck, schedule your appointment 30 minutes prior to sailing check-in time, 24 hours in advance.
  • Note: Guests can only book this option within 30 days prior to departure.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Tests won't be going away in November. The virus isn't going to just disappear and there are many counties that require it at entry even if the cruise lines decide they don't see the need.  I would say to avoid drug store chains like Walgreens and CVS for the covid test and go directly with the home test approved by the cruise lines. 

The pharmacy is crazy busy with booster covid shots as well as flu shots. Even with an appointment  you don't want to take a chance that your result doesn't come back in time because it didn't make it to the lab in a timely manner or the lab is prioritizing  medical procedure patients over those who are traveling or those with covid symptoms. I witnessed a woman screaming at the Pharmacist because her sons covid test was not processed in time for whatever deadline she was trying to make.  The drug stores don't have control over how the lab processes the tests. She suggested to the customer to go to urgent care for a rapid test. 

• Like 1

I have 1 cruise booked in Oct, and 1 in January. I fully expect for those to require vaccination,  masks in some areas, and test 2 days before, and to be sailing at 40-75% capacity (January might make 75% for the 4 nights, probably still be 50%). I have an 8 night southern from Miami and a 9 night fjords out of Amsterdam August 2022. I expect the same for them, with maybe higher capacity.

• Haha 1

On a related note, my DW keeps reading on that last bastion of reliable sources (Facebook of course) that people are uploading their vaccine cards. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only upload in the check-in process is your photo. Am I correct? They'll need to show the card at the pier anyway so it really doesn't make sense.

9 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Not sure what the "good stuff" is because some of what you ask for is simply speculation.  They weren't debating anything, just asking a question.