CRUISING WITHOUT AN IPHONE

3red7s

15 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There isn't anything that has to be done on an iPhone.  If they have a different smart phone, that works too.  If they don't have a smart phone, they can make reservations on the interactive tv.  Paper menus are still available if they don't read a QR code.  They will need to print their setsail passes if they don't have them in the app.  My 84 yr old mother uses the app on the ship to see the compass and to see what reservations we all have as you can link and see reservations for all in your party.

perfect...this is the type of info i was looking for:  paper menus...& printing sail passes...thank you so much 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thomasale said:

I have rarely seen anyone less than 50 yo without a smart phone and NEVER seen anyone 15-30 yo without one....Over 65 I surely have seen and as a matter of fact, I have a brother who is 64 that has no cell phone and doesn't watch TV!!!! He's an oddity for sure but not alone in that way. I think that might just be what they mean. I'm 68 and have struggled but try. Pretty sure you're joking but hard to tell online now. Peace! 😉

thank you for your kind words..they use no electronics....and yes...rare, but they dont....i certainly didnt mean to offend anyone by saying that "old" means they are inept.  My BIL just turned 78 and my sister, 74, and is a stroke victim....enough said.

16 hours ago, 3red7s said:

Hello everyone.  My BIL & sister will be doing a short cruise with us on the SOS in December.  My hubby & I both have IPHONES.  My BIL & sister, being older, do not.  How will this impact them? What tasks CANNOT be done without an Iphone?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

A smart phone (android or iPhone) is a nicety not a necessity. Personal preference. Life goes on. 

Thank you to those of you who used kinds words and did not take offense to me saying my loved ones were "older"  & did not use electronics.  Your advice regarding paper menus & having to print off set sail passes was exactly the info i was looking for!!!  Peace & Love

• Like 2

We are in our mid-70's and find smart phones a required necessity. We don't particularly care for them....but that is the way the world works. We wanted to go to a Christmas concert, but the only way to get tickets was through a smart phone. No will call or in person sales. Sorry, we are not posting our private information on a cell phone that might be read by who knows?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3red7s said:

Thank you to those of you who used kinds words and did not take offense to me saying my loved ones were "older"  & did not use electronics.  Your advice regarding paper menus & having to print off set sail passes was exactly the info i was looking for!!!  Peace & Love

Have a great cruise.

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

Very old people do use electronic devices on a cruise- Do you have a disability that prevents you from using electronics?  If so, maybe the CSR can help you.

I am disabled but my disabilities have no relationship to electronics.I see no need to use a phone or a tablet on a cruise.Our phones go into the cabin safe as soon as we enter and we do not take it out until getting ready to leave the ship.

• Like 4

A LOT of assumptions are made in today's world. I get irritated when a vendor asks me to "Like us on Facebook!" when I have absolutely nothing to do with FB, or twitter, nor do I desire to. Likewise with this app madness that seems to have taken over, i.e., infected, every major cruise line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I totally agree and do the same thing.

Pretty sad that people spend most of there life staring at a device.

Many doctors and medical websites inform these days that smartphones are now the leading cause of eyestrain and related headaches. I have a tendency toward such myself -- which is another reason I get so aggravated with the infectious mentality that smartphones are now standard equipment for every facet of life.

Edited by Moonarino
changed "cell" to "smart"

I was on Freedom a few weeks ago.  I had the UDP and was able to make all reservations at Giovanni's Kitchen once I boarded.  Also, there is a special phone number to call for reservations to shows.  You only need a smart phone for QR codes but they also offer paper menus.  I always take my Iphone with me on cruises mainly for photos but you can get by without a smart phone -- it's just easier if you want to do things quickly but not really necessary. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Many doctors and medical websites inform these days that smartphones are now the leading cause of eyestrain and related headaches. I have a tendency toward such myself -- which is another reason I get so aggravated with the infectious mentality that smartphones are now standard equipment for every facet of life.

I grew up before cell phones,before having a TV in the house ,before PC’s and before every other kind of electronic device .

• Like 1

I didn’t see a texting post so my apologies if this is a duplicate. 

I’m assuming the four of you are purchasing WiFi. iPhone users who put their phone on airplane mode and signed into WiFi can text each other through iMessage. It’s WiFi texting. iPhones won’t be able to text an android through iMessage, so texting your normal way won’t work. All 4 of you could download a free texting app like what’s app so you can text each other over WiFi. 

edit to say I did miss where the OP said her SIL and BIL have no electronics, so this won’t apply. I’ll leave it in case it helps someone else 🙂 

Edited by twinmommy08

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I grew up before cell phones,before having a TV in the house ,before PC’s and before every other kind of electronic device .

Well before having a cell phone or a TV in the house we had land line phiones (party line) and tube radios. We had cameras. Back then the cameras were not electronic. Time moves forward and humanity has advanced. Radios and land line phones were advances in their times. There were luddites back then who objected as there always are.  Now we have pocket computers (smartphones). I love all the new tech. My pocket computer also happens to be a camera. I have always loved taking photos. Better than any camera I had before smartphones. Better than the SLRs I had. So I don't lock up my phone in a safe. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonarino said:

As a fitness instructor/posture geek, my concern is the horrible posture, with neck and upper back strain, that has been developing among all-day phone users.  As the head and shoulders go forward, gravity takes them even further.  I foresee a lot of problems as people are unable to un-do this over time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bren61 said:

Do I need to need to purchase anything to be able to use RCCLS app on my tablet?

No need to purchase anything to only use the Royal App. The app will connect to the WiFi without any charges. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Well before having a cell phone or a TV in the house we had land line phiones (party line) and tube radios. We had cameras. Back then the cameras were not electronic. Time moves forward and humanity has advanced. Radios and land line phones were advances in their times. There were luddites back then who objected as there always are.  Now we have pocket computers (smartphones). I love all the new tech. My pocket computer also happens to be a camera. I have always loved taking photos. Better than any camera I had before smartphones. Better than the SLRs I had. So I don't lock up my phone in a safe. 

We did not have a phone until 1952 and had no problem.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

... There were luddites back then who objected as there always are.

My "luddite" objection pretty much just relates to those who might want to cram it down our throats and make it "required" for no real reason at all.

Technology gave me a good living for a very long time and I appreciate advances. As an IT security professional I also saw (and see even more now) a great many potential problems with over-reliance on technology. We have not yet gotten anywhere close to "the worst that can happen" because of that over-reliance, and in fact far too many people, businesses and governments are seemingly refusing to see it. When technology becomes everything, we take a giant step closer to the risk of losing everything when it fails. Not if, when.

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

I tell my grandkids we had a rotary dial phone on a party line.  If our neighbor was on, we had to wait.  TVs had 4 channels (and one was public broadcasting that no one watched) AND you had to get up to change the station!  Long division, never mind no computer, no calculator.  Cash registers didn’t tell you how much change to give back, you had to do the math IN YOUR HEAD!!!  Ahhh the good old days. 😄😄😄👵🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1