Best Port to Purchase Vanilla

LEMJMcC

A couple of cruises ago we stopped in Cozumel, I think, where we bought some Mexican vanilla, again I think.  I seem to recall someone telling us, "Oh, you should have bought while you were at...", thing is I don't remember the ending...😖

So, where in the Western Caribbean is supposed to have the best vanilla?

Thanks/

Do you buy vanilla beans or extract?  We once bought vanilla beans in Marigot.  When standing in the customs line when we returned, the security dog sniffed a lot at my suitcase where I had put it, but thankfully his handler moved him along.  I have always wondered if it was prohibited.

Cozumel it must have been, perhaps I was thinking of Jamaica...

It was the extract.

Anyway, thanks.  Our Christmas cruise to stopping at Cozumel, so we'll make a point to pick up a few bottles.

Edited by LEMJMcC

32 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

A couple of cruises ago we stopped in Cozumel, I think, where we bought some Mexican vanilla, again I think.  I seem to recall someone telling us, "Oh, you should have bought while you were at...", thing is I don't remember the ending...😖

So, where in the Western Caribbean is supposed to have the best vanilla?

Thanks/

6 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Cozumel it must have been, perhaps I was thinking of Jamaica...

It was the extract.

Anyway, thanks.  Our Christmas cruise to stopping at Cozumel, so we'll make a point to pick up a few bottles.

Just read the label carefully, for country of origin and for ingredients.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

We always buy in Cozumel and have been very happy with one sold under the Los Cincos Sol brand at their stores.

This is the one I love as well.  You can order it online too if you won't be in Cozumel for awhile.

• Like 2

The Cinco Soles store just left of the port exit is good for their brand.  We actually prefer the vanilla in Grenada, although the bottles there seem to be hand-labeled.  Again, some of the shops in the port sell it.  More intense flavor.

3 hours ago, chucknmarilyn said:

We always buy in Cozumel and have been very happy with one sold under the Los Cincos Sol brand at their stores.

Thats the brand we always buy also.  Don't know if it's cheaper there but we usually get ours at the store next to Panchos Backyard at the end of town.

1 minute ago, WVHillbilly said:

Thats the brand we always buy also.  Don't know if it's cheaper there but we usually get ours at the store next to Panchos Backyard at the end of town.

Same here.  

We usually have a leisurely lunch at Pancho’s and buy the extract on our way out. 

Lookin forward to our next three margarita lunch at Pacho’s. (Don’t need any vanilla extract) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Grenada is the best place to purchase vanilla.  It’s known as the “spice island”.  My parents told me a long time ago that they could smell vanilla from the ship after arriving in Grenada.

This is the answer but many cruises do not go there so many responses will be Cozumel, but Cozumel is very good. Either is great.

5 hours ago, chucknmarilyn said:

This one is the best.  We ordered some on line a year or so ago, but it's better when you buy it in Cozumel 😁

This article is nearly 13 years old but I would still use caution especially buying something hand packaged.  Since it has not been inspected by the FDA, you can never be sure what you are buying.  Some of the bottles are even labeled “does not contain coumarin - no contiene cumarina”, but since there is no government oversight they could put anything on the label. Also I remember reading that some of the stuff with the nicest vanilla aroma contains some of the highest levels of coumarin.

I’m sure most of the products sold now are perfectly safe, it’s just that you really can’t be sure. Please do your own research!

FDA Warns of Dangers of Mexican Vanilla - ABC News (go.com)

FDA Warns of Dangers of Mexican Vanilla

By Robert Preidt
October 31, 2008, 2:02 PM
 2 min read

Nov. 1 -- FRIDAY, Oct. 31 (HealthDay News) -- So-called Mexican "vanilla" is often made with a toxic substance called coumarin and shouldn't be bought by consumers, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned this week.

Coumarin is related to warfarin, which is found in some blood thinners. Eating foods with coumarin may be dangerous for people taking blood thinners, because the combination could increase their risk of bleeding.

Mexican vanilla -- which may smell and taste like real vanilla and is cheaper than the real thing -- is sold in Mexico and other Latin American countries and has started appearing in some U.S. stores and restaurants, the FDA said.

Pure vanilla is made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant. Mexican vanilla is frequently made with the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin. Since 1954, coumarin has been banned from all food products sold in the United States.

Consumers should be cautious when buying vanilla in Mexico and other Latin American countries, the FDA advised. Look for "vanilla bean" on the label's ingredient list. Don't buy the product if it says "tonka bean" or has a vague ingredient list or no list.

More information

Florida State University has more about coumarin.

SOURCE: U.S. Food and Drug Administration, news release, Oct. 29, 2008