NIGHTLY TURNDOWN

Tablelamp

Many hotels are not even servicing rooms during your stay at the present time.

Rooms  are deep cleaned when vacant and they do not enter your room at all unless you specially request it.

They ask you to request anything that you need and it is left outside your room or you can collected it from reception.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That isn't a reason to still use P and O?

That is a reason to pay others to provide your cruise who do provide the traditional extras you want?

You can't pay P and O extra for something they don't offer?

And I do have to question how many others would be willing to pay higher prices to P and O for some of these things they no longer provide 

You must see there is a battle between low price and what you get for that price?

Did you miss the “not reduced further” part of what I said?

Anyway while I enjoy a good debate it is pointless if your only perspective is price.

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

Rooms  are deep cleaned when vacant and they do not enter your room at all unless you specially request it.

They ask you to request anything that you need and it is left outside your room or you can collected it from reception.

Yes and as I said earlier I have no issue with that during covid, indeed it is sensible.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Which other cruise lines offer similar value for money to P and O right now?

And why arent we all using them? 

I'm open to cruising on any cruise line that offers me fantastic value cruising with same quality or similar quality (with or without turndown! Lol)

I would prefer not to have someone come into my room just to pull the quilt back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Center Parcs is self catering with an option to pay extra for daily maid service

Very few pay the extra when given the choice and the cost involved 

The way of the modern world of hospitality is to start at a low basic standard price and have the option to pay more

Standard room

Upgrade rooms

Upgrade views

Room only

Bed and breakfast

Half board

Full board

All inclusive

Etc

I agree with the idea that things like turndown could remain but be optional extras or only provided for a certain level of room

It's a nice extra

Give people the choice

But accept that it adds cost

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes select fares are now less value with freedom dining etc. It will however be an issue in cabins which need beds made up for extra guests. I don’t think many will want to DIY the beds that come down from the ceiling etc.

I don’t think anyone in the know will book a guarantee on Iona given some of the cabin issues which have been reported re privacy and overshadowing.

Making rooms up for extra guests is very important

We needed that in the past. Not now our kids have grown up

That should be budgeted into the price for those bookings

It's not the same as turndown for every room though 

If I had the choice of paying the price P&O used to charge and the quality of the cruise when I first started sailing with them in 2000 pre Carnival and what you pay now and get I am afraid I would prefer the first option. You get what you pay for and Carnival are constantly chipping away on a constant basis at P&Os product. All things stopped with the excuse of Covid is understandable but when life and cruising gets back to normal they will never return. When I first started cruising in the late 90s Cunard cruisers used to laugh at P&O and call them "ferries" equally P&O cruisers used to look down their noses at Thomson cruises, now Marella, but they are now on a par and in many ways not as good as Marella. I have friends who have done many cruises with P&O since mid 90s and now cruise with Marella every time because they say the food and entertainment and even though older ships the cruise experience is far better than P&O and they say they will never cruise with P&O again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If I had the choice of paying the price P&O used to charge and the quality of the cruise when I first started sailing with them in 2000 pre Carnival and what you pay now and get I am afraid I would prefer the first option. You get what you pay for and Carnival are constantly chipping away on a constant basis at P&Os product. All things stopped with the excuse of Covid is understandable but when life and cruising gets back to normal they will never return. When I first started cruising in the late 90s Cunard cruisers used to laugh at P&O and call them "ferries" equally P&O cruisers used to look down their noses at Thomson cruises, now Marella, but they are now on a par and in many ways not as good as Marella. I have friends who have done many cruises with P&O since mid 90s and now cruise with Marella every time because they say the food and entertainment and even though older ships the cruise experience is far better than P&O and they say they will never cruise with P&O again.

Funnily enough I just started a new thread asking what the prices for P and O used to be like 20 years ago

What did you used to pay back in 2000 ish Major Tom?

For a typical 14 night European cruise from Southampton? 

Can you remember?

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Funnily enough I just started a new thread asking what the prices for P and O used to be like 20 years ago

Can you remember?

Our first ever cruise on QE2 in 1997 was for the cheapest lowest grade inside cabin on the ship and we paid nearly £900 for a 8nt cruise. I can remember paying on Arcadia for a 17nt cruise in 2007 for an inside cabin of £1769pp so was over £100pppn which 14yrs ago was a lot of money.

We were on Aurora when we received a letter to our cabin stating that an agreement had been made with Carnival for their partnership. It was virtually agreed that P&O would partner with RCCL and Carnival "trumped" them at the last minute because they wanted to get their hands on Princess. At the Captains Party on that cruise much to the disagreement and booing by some about the amalgamation with Carnival Captain Steve Burgoine said that if P&O didnt agree to this they could not afford to purchase new ships on their own to compete with Carnival and RCCL and stay independent and would have more than likely "gone to the wall".

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's clear that experienced P and O passengers can rightfully be nostalgic about things they no longer get

But might not want to be nostalgic about the prices they had to pay back then in comparison to the prices now

It's two entirely different pricepoints then and now in reality 

I agree but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Princess was always the cruise line that both RCCL and Carnival wanted.

If I remember,  was there not a referral to a US Agency and it was decided by them, that since RCCL owned both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity that the "Middle Market"  would be monopolized by RCCL if they had taken control of Princess, ,

so it was allowed for Carnival to purchase Princess and the poor sister P&O.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Princess were owned by P&O not the other way around. P&O bought them around the early 80's or before

12 minutes ago, daiB said:

Princess were owned by P&O not the other way around. P&O bought them around the early 80's or before

In fact P&O oversaw the growth of Princess from a fairly small operation to become a major player in the US  cruise market, which was why both RCI & Carnival were so keen to buy it, and they had begun the start of AIDA, which Carnival have since grown to the major german cruise line

Edited by terrierjohn

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Our first ever cruise on QE2 in 1997 was for the cheapest lowest grade inside cabin on the ship and we paid nearly £900 for a 8nt cruise. I can remember paying on Arcadia for a 17nt cruise in 2007 for an inside cabin of £1769pp so was over £100pppn which 14yrs ago was a lot of money.

That would be £2510 as of 2020 according to the Bank of England calculator. Or 41.8% inflation since then.

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I agree I prefer to pay the 90's price{ with inflation of course} without all the cut backs however we do not get the chance that is why I am trying Cunard for next cruise

we even won a free bottle of bubbly on each of our first cruises which was fun taking part

I remember being onboard the original Adonia and the comedian calling the Aurora the Horora by the time I got on the Aurora there was no way you could call it the Horora anymore

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Can you remember?

Cannot remember 20 years ago but 30 years ago went on Canberra for 17 nights had ball sharing a cabin called the friendly four {shared with 3 other ladies one was like gran and the other two were like aunties } it was great £700 and something pounds no en suite had bath in corridor 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

I agree I prefer to pay the 90's price{ with inflation of course} without all the cut backs however we do not get the chance that is why I am trying Cunard for next cruise

we even won a free bottle of bubbly on each of our first cruises which was fun taking part

I remember being onboard the original Adonia and the comedian calling the Aurora the Horora by the time I got on the Aurora there was no way you could call it the Horora anymore

There was a very funny comedian on Aurora in the 00s called Nicky Martin (I think) who always referred to the her as the Horora and used to recite a very funny poem at the end of the cruise life on board.

56 minutes ago, wowzz said:

£142 today.

Doubt many people today would pay that for an inside cabin, turndown service or not !

But it wasnt just turndown Wowz!

Don't forget the chocolate on the pillow, nicer toiletries and a cup of hot chocolate each night

Plus you have to give some value to the tradition of giving the cabin steward a nice tip at the end as a thank you for the chocolates etc so he could actually earn some money for all his hard work

Sadly no longer a tradition 

Didn't they use to make towel animals as well in the old days or is that RC? 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:21 PM, Electra 7 said:

Cannot remember 20 years ago but 30 years ago went on Canberra for 17 nights had ball sharing a cabin called the friendly four {shared with 3 other ladies one was like gran and the other two were like aunties } it was great £700 and something pounds no en suite had bath in corridor 

My Grandad had a bath in front of the fire. I don't think he would have liked his bath in a ships corridor. Too many folk walking past and tripping over it.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Didn't they use to make towel animals as well in the old days or is that RC? 

They did.  I'd forgotten that one!  My wife loved that.  That was in the days when the hard-worked room staff still had the time to do it, and before their numbers were cut back.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

They did.  I'd forgotten that one!  My wife loved that.  That was in the days when the hard-worked room staff still had the time to do it, and before their numbers were cut back.

It helped earn those extra  tips when they were just being paid 75p per hour for sure

At least one boat I've travelled on used to have a morning when every sunbed round the main pool had towel animals put on them by the staff