NIGHTLY TURNDOWN

Tablelamp

1 minute ago, Tablelamp said:

Sorry, miss spelt.   My question is:  Is the nightly turndown service still offered on P & O ships.

It certainly wasn't for the staycation cruises and I believe that is still the case but others with more current information will be able to confirm.

On Iona now we were told by our cabin steward that turndown was not been done, towels must be placed on the bathroom floor to be replaced and you must put the ” gone exploring “ sign outside the door in order to get your cabin cleaned in the morning.

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m missing something here, obviously. Is it really a big deal?

We always shower before dinner in the evening  so it's nice to have the bathroom freshened up  and clean towels where necessary, and of course the daytime bed coverings and cushions are carefully stored away overnight, and the curtains drawn and the lights dimmed.

• Like 7

We were on Queen Elizabeth three weeks ago and they had the turndown, light dimming ,chocolate's on the bed and twice daily cleaning, all done with a smile by our friendly cabin steward ,going on three different cruise lines in the next six months so will be interesting to see what there procedures are   

• Like 1

What is the reasoning behind this service no longer being available….  Suspect the answer from P&O and some passengers will be because of COVID…but is it just another example of cost cutting and removing something under the guise of COVID for it never to return 

spa treatments (which of course you pay extra for) don’t seem to be an issue

Edited by janieb1962
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

My thoughts precisely,  but each to his own. Cruise ships cause enough pollution to the oceans already, so I'm not keen to add unnecessarily to it. 

For me losing the turndown would be yet more dumbing down of the product if it goes for good, which so far there is no evidence that it will.

I can fully appreciate it being to reduce unnecessary crew contact during covid which is sensible (as long as it comes back after the crisis is over).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

It is still possible to cruise AND try to reduce the impact if possible.  Just as it's possible to minimise the environmental impact of any chosen activities. 

Absolutely agree and we don’t want our towels replacing every day…I do however like them refolded each evening…. It’s part of the expected good hotel and cruise service I have tried to replicate it myself  but it’s never the same as the cabin steward can do it… not sure them doing it impacts the environment 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

I agree that it's very welcoming to return to the cabin in the evening to find the curtains closed, bed turned down and lights on. 

I'm not worried about any of that, but I would like a dry towel to use the following morning. 

Avril

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

I agree that it's very welcoming to return to the cabin in the evening to find the curtains closed, bed turned down and lights on. 

Yes, it’s just one of those nice little things that makes the cruise experience special, plus the chocolate on the pillow. We take the chocolates home to eat when we’re back on normal home food 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

My thoughts precisely,  but each to his own. Cruise ships cause enough pollution to the oceans already, so I'm not keen to add unnecessarily to it. 

I did say towels changed when needed, we must fall in the same slovenly camp as you then Harry, since I am happy to re-use a towel if its dry. However I do like my bathroom freshened up after I have showered, which I doubt adds anything to the ships pollution record, and it is one of the nice touches that makes cruising special for us.

• Like 5

Bearing in mind the vast majority of 5 star hotels do NOT offer a turn down service I don't see how we can possibly still expect P and O to offer this as we have already been told by other posters in another thread that P and O cruises are only the equivalent of Premier Inn!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't say this has ever bothered me, one way or the other.  It disappeared in hotels a long time ago, and I'm really not fussed for a small piece of chocolate every night.  It's obviously important for quite a few people though.

Most hotels ask you to help the environment by separating out the towels you'd like changed, and I'm happy to go along with that (though I do appreciate the real reason behind their request). 

I do like a dry towel, though, and hotels usually have heated towel rails to deal with that - remind me, not on P&O ships, presumably?  Can't remember.

• Like 1

There was an evening turn down service on our recent Royal Caribbean cruise which was very welcome when you returned to the cabin, but no chocolates!  No evening service on our recent P and O cruises though and I’m not sure of any logical reason why it’s missing. 

1 hour ago, rojojacko said:

I’m not sure of any logical reason why it’s missing.

Isn't it P&O policy that a minimum of 15 minutes must elapse between passengers leaving tge cabin, and the steward  entering ? 

With that policy in place,  a turn down service for everyone became logistically impossible.

3 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

With the ships so big and so many passengers on board, how is this policy supposed to work ?

How can the poor cabin steward know what time who is leaving what cabin.

The size of the ship is irrelevant.  The stewards work in a defined area,  covering a limited number of cabins, and in my experience,  seem to have a 5th sense as to when you are out. Obviously hanging out the "service my cabin" sign helps them to judge the required time, or in the case of Princess, the door portal changes colour when you leave.