Reduced Capacity Sailings

bac513

Questions regarding reduced capacity sailings:

To quote Celebrity’s website “We’re sailing with fewer guests for more space—and more luxury”. While recognizing their largest income comes from suites, suites are not sailing with fewer guests. It appears that for most sailings that suites are sold out, especially after move up bids. Does that mean that those in suites have to deal with more crowded places such as Retreat Deck, or lines at Luminae? Do non-suite guests have a more relaxed time and less crowded spaces?

Would like to hear from those who sailed recently.

Thanks

Edited by bac513
Add text
  • Like 1

Sorry, can't comment on the suite/retreat experience; but our 9/11 Edge sailing was fabulous as passengers in a deck 10 SV.  We heard there were 850 total passengers so there were no lines anywhere...including OVC, pool/hot tub, theatre, any of the dining rooms, Sunset Garden Grill, etc.  Relaxed doesn't begin to describe our time on Edge!

• Thanks 2

Have sailed in the EDGE Retreat 2X since startup.  Both times, I believe the Retreat was sold out, but no crowds, per se.  Matter of fact, both times the ship sailed at about 45%-%50% capacity.  From what I gathered, it was mostly the cheaper cabins that were empty.

Good thing about reduced capacity, in addition to the Retreat being plenty open, so were all the elevators, the venues, the other restaurants on board, the entertainment areas, too.

• Thanks 1

On the current Edge sailing the Suites are not at 100% but very close. 
Haven’t had to wait to be seated at Luminae, Retreat Lounge has been very busy late afternoon/early evening.   Finding a lounge chair at the Sun Deck has not been a problem.

We tried one of the 4 MDRs the other night almost everyone had a  window table.

Finding a seat at Eden was difficult last night  around 10.  Martini bar and Grand Plaza also busy, 

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Have sailed in the EDGE Retreat 2X since startup.  Both times, I believe the Retreat was sold out, but no crowds, per se.  Matter of fact, both times the ship sailed at about 45%-%50% capacity.  From what I gathered, it was mostly the cheaper cabins that were empty.

Good thing about reduced capacity, in addition to the Retreat being plenty open, so were all the elevators, the venues, the other restaurants on board, the entertainment areas, too.

Thanks for responses

Edited by bac513
Text

No crowds in Luminae on Equinox for early dining times Sept. 26 and Oct. 8. Lounge did get rather busy around 5:30.  Not crowded at all after dinner.  Hardly anyone on the retreat sun deck, but of course, that is not as attractive on Equinox as on Edge. 

12 hours ago, bac513 said:

To quote Celebrity’s website “We’re sailing with fewer guests for more space—and more luxury”. While recognizing their largest income comes from suites, suites are not sailing with fewer guests. It appears that for most sailings that suites are sold out, especially after move up bids. Does that mean that those in suites have to deal with more crowded places such as Retreat Deck, or lines at Luminae? Do non-suite guests have a more relaxed time and less crowded spaces?

Thanks

Has Celebrity stated how long they're planning to sail with fewer guests?  Im booked on Beyond next October.  I would assume they'll try to sell out by then.

I'm not arguing, but just wondering how we know that the suites are all sold out?  When you go to book if a cabin looks unavailable it could be sold, or it could be blocked out right?  How do we know which?  I guess if you ask a knowledgeable staff member that would be one way.

15 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Has Celebrity stated how long they're planning to sail with fewer guests?  Im booked on Beyond next October.  I would assume they'll try to sell out by then.

Just a guess, but so far, it looks like Celebrity is doing a very controlled re-start.  Not knowing their business plan for the next 6 months, it almost seems like they’re doing reduced capacity sailings in Q4 of 2021, too.

2022?  Who knows?  I would imagine if they continue to control/eliminate COVID cases on board by requiring strict vaccinating and testing protocols, eventually their capacity restrictions will ease.

When is the question, not if!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bac513 said:

Thanks

We sailed on the Equinox in September that was sailing at about 40% capacity. We were in AQ and I never saw BLU at more than 50% capacity. The rest of the ship felt like a ghost town and occasionally you would find an activity that was crowded but not often. I loved it personally and know it will not last so I have booked a whole lot of cruises over the next few months to enjoy the lighter crowds. We have both Thanksgiving and New Years cruises booked and I have a feeling that they will be sailing at a much greater capacity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

They haven't said, and they're unlikely to tell us in the cheap seats, but the Summit is running some charter cruises starting in January.  They're fully booked or very close to fully booked.  Those might be the first cruises that sail at 100% if they're allowed to do so at that time.

4 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

I'm looking forward to reduced capacity on Reflection mid-January.  I'm afraid 850 passengers on Edge has spoiled me!

Edge has spoiled me, period!!!

LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not arguing, but just wondering how we know that the suites are all sold out?  When you go to book if a cabin looks unavailable it could be sold, or it could be blocked out right?  How do we know which?  I guess if you ask a knowledgeable staff member that would be one way.

We were on the Millennium in September for a B2B.  A Retreat Lounge staff member told us that the Suites were sold out.  We have been in a Suite on all four of the M-class ships, and Luminae looked normal in capacity to us. 

Also hoping for reduced capacity on Reflection in Jan. I don't think X is having any trouble keeping capacity down. Many folks are still reluctant to cruise. I was much more concerned about flying than being on Equinox recently.  It was a great experience. I believe no cruise line will be able to sell out a ship leaving from the US before March at best. 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not arguing, but just wondering how we know that the suites are all sold out? 

A lot of first hand blog reports confirm.

Also smart by X from a business standpoint if they have to limit numbers. If you are allowed to sell only half as many donuts, makes sense to sell the expensive ones first to the donut starved mobs! 😄

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, mfs2k said:

CDC requirement for reducing sailing ends at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if they start increasing their numbers in January.

I have not heard of any requirements in addition to the CSO which currently expires the end of next week.  It also has had no teeth in FL since July.  I believe the cruise lines have been doing what they are currently doing in their own self interest to preserve the industry.   Certainly some sailings they are having difficulty getting bookings for even these low occupancy rates.   It will be interesting to see if bookings are stronger for the traditional Caribbean season where many have moved sailing from last year or if there continues to be many canceling prior to final payment or last minute with CwC.  It will be also interesting to see if they extend CwC for bookings made past 10/31.

We are on the 2nd leg of a B2B on the Edge.  Suites are sold out and they expected 350 passengers in the Retreat, haven’t heard what # actually boarded.  Lunch yesterday, dinner last night and breakfast last night all had lines to b seated at Luminae.   

One observation based on the previous sailing and what we have seen so far on this sailing  a lot of passengers in the mid 20s - mid 40s.  More than we have ever seen on X.  

• Like 1

We just disembarked Edge from the PH suite.  Understand approximately 925 guests, 200 were in Suites.  Suite capacity is 300 - 350 on Edge.  We ate in all the specialty restaurants.  We tried to get a reservation at Eden on the 1st evening chic night.  Reservations were available but our PRH could not get a guarantee of a window seat and he was afraid we would be "put in a corner" so we went to Luminae. We were given a beeper that went off in about 5 minutes.  The only other time Luminae was busy was on the last evening but we were seated right away. 

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

My 9/25 Edge sailing had 875 people.  Was told most if not all suites were sold including mine.  Never saw a line anywhere the except last night at Luminae .Retreat was fairly empty.  Went to the main pool area instead  and got to watch  crew vs passengers  pool vollyball.  That was fun.    Service impeccable, passengers friendly, Loved so much, booked another cruise early 2022.  

• Like 1