Should still get Princess Vacation Protection even with the Covid-19 Protection Program in place?

SJunie

It's our first time cruising Princess next March. Reading through their book with confidence policy and the vacation protection packages offered, it seems like the latter is redundant? Would love some advice from seasoned Princess cruisers. Our only big concern and the only reason why we may not be able to go on the cruise is if one (or all of us) can't board due to testing positive for Covid.

There are lots of other causes for trip disruption,  the benefits are not the same.  Read through the vacation protection plan, and decide if you want it or would rather "sell insure". I thought we were covered by our credit card,  turns out they only reimburse trip delays for weather or common carrier strike...fuel spill doesn't count 😡

• Like 1

The insurance covers much more than having to cancel due to Covid. Think of all the other conditions people come down with every year. I had to cancel an Alaskan cruise several years ago. My doctor wouldn't let me go on it. 

We have been fortunate to never have to use the insurance for any other big claims. But my mother-in-law used travel insurance when she had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a cruise. We've had some minor claims that we've made after visiting the ship's medical center for things such as sinus and respiratory infections. 

We’re in our late 60s and in good health. However, stuff happens and the main reason we get cruise insurance is for the medical evacuation coverage, just in case …

Of course, with Princess if you get the coverage they offer, which we do, you get their premium coverage for the standard rate once you make it to Ruby.

10 hours ago, SJunie said:

It's our first time cruising Princess next March. Reading through their book with confidence policy and the vacation protection packages offered, it seems like the latter is redundant? Would love some advice from seasoned Princess cruisers. Our only big concern and the only reason why we may not be able to go on the cruise is if one (or all of us) can't board due to testing positive for Covid.

Have you checked the exact terms of your sailing in March? AFAIK, right now anyway, Princess already covers this specific situation by giving you a 100% cruise credit back if anyone in your party tests positive before the cruise and can't board. I know that's the case for our trip in late November, though I can't say whether the plan has been extended to cover sailings this coming March.  It's built in to our fare already

Re the PVP, I believe the general consensus here on CC is that the Princess PVP isn't particularly good in comparison with other available insurance offerings out there. More expensive and lower coverage. That being said, we used to buy it for every trip (until it stopped being available in our local jurisdiction a few years ago) for one very specific reason: it includes full 100% Cancel For Any Reason" coverage, when other insurers offering CFAR only cover 75%. On a multi-thousand dollar trip, that could men a lot of money lost. That being said, if you don't need CFAR, look elsewhere for cheaper and better coverage.

• Like 2

Another thing to consider:  does your health insurance cover overseas visits should you get ill or have an accident on the ship that requires a visit to the medical center or a port health care provider?  Those services, especially on the ship, are not cheap.  If you are on Medicare, that is considered a visit out of the country and is not covered.  Make sure your health insurance (including a Medicare supplement if appropriate) covers overseas visits or you could be in for a rude surprise.

Edited by capriccio

10 hours ago, SJunie said:

I use to always balk when I would pay for Princess PVP until one time I slipped and fell and crushed my elbow on a 30 day South American cruise.  I had to be evacuated from South America back to Hawaii for surgery and it was an ordeal being put off in a foreign country which the cruise line insisted had to happen in the early part of the cruise.  It took 4 days to get back alone.

My wife and I were able to recover all costs including care on the ship and we were told several times we were so lucky we bought PVP or it would have been significant costs and loss for us otherwise.  

Since then we have known quite a few passengers who have either had accidents on the ship or in port and some had PVP and others did not.  My belief is do not leave home without it particularly if you are on a long cruise or a cruise that goes to quite a few foreign countries.  Accidents and illnesses do happen ALL the time on Princess ships and treatment on the ship can have significant costs alone too.

• Like 5

As mentioned above...buy insurance from someone. It doesn't have to be from Princess. Compare prices and coverage with other companies. Go to the insurance forum (it's here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/) and see what others recommend/do. Check out InsureMyTrip, TripInsuranceStore, etc.

For us, Princess insurance is cheaper by a lot (even tho' the coverage isn't as good as some), because we're in our 70s. Princess doesn't increase the price as you get older (other insurance does). The price is based on the cost of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SJunie said:

I NEVER recommend buying insurance from the cruiseline. There's always too many "outs" for the line to avoid coverage. I recommend buying from your TA or going online.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

I NEVER recommend buying insurance from the cruiseline. There's always too many "outs" for the line to avoid coverage. I recommend buying from your TA or going online.

Cruise line insurance is actually underwritten by major insurance companies, not the cruise line itself. In the case of Princess, it is Nationwide. The coverage is designed in cooperation with Princess and sold under its name as a convenience to quests (and a source of profit, to be sure); however, once it is sold, Princess  has no part - or interest - in settling claims. That is done by Aon Affinity on behalf of Nationwide under the terms of the policy.

Princess does provide the cruise credit under the cancel-for-any-reason provision because that is not part of the insurance. It is given when you cancel for a reason not defined in the policy. It still costs them nothing because you have already provided the funds, and they’ll hold them until you sail again.

For whatever reason you choose not to buy cruise line insurance, conflict of interest is not one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SJunie said:

The Covid Protection Plan is in effect until the end of December and will not cover your March cruise unless it is extended since the CDC has extended the Conditional Sail Order.

Even if it is in place, it covers Covid related expenses only. While that is certainly an important consideration, especially if you have to quarantine somewhere along the way, it does not provide complete coverage.

As others have already pointed out, there are other things that can go wrong where insurance reimbursement would be welcome. You may think a Covid positive test is the only thing that would keep you from going or could disrupt your trip, but that is what the term “unexpected” is for. A comprehensive policy, whether you buy it from Princess or elsewhere, will cover cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, medical, and evacuation expenses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

For whatever reason you choose not to buy cruise line insurance, conflict of interest is not one. 

That is so true!

In the past we liked to do 30 day plus cruises that were mostly international.  

People cannot imagine what can go wrong in life when you are on a cruise.  We buy the cruise line's insurance because it is easier to manage a medical emergency on board with the cruise line if you have their insurance or if something happens off the ship during the cruise too.   It is very affordable because they give you a discount based on your status and it is not based on your age or pre-existing conditions. 

It also protects your investment when you are on an expensive cruise.

Before and after the cruise you are on your own often so we also travel with an international insurance carrier.  Having medical evacuation insurance is also a must depending where you are in the world.  When we had to access the cruise lines' insurance for a medical emergency we had off of South America it did morph into several different insurances companies such as,  Allianz Global Asst., Berkley Care and On Call.  So if something happens you will not usually be dealing with Princess but the under-writers.

I can understand how people do not want to pay for travel insurance because it adds to the cost of travel.  But all I know is.....if you ever have a need for it you will be glad you bought it because it can save you thousands of dollars.

Also, another thing I learned is that many travel insurances people pay for will not be  the primary insurance.  It will probably fall back on your primary insurance first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Cruise line insurance is actually underwritten by major insurance companies, not the cruise line itself. In the case of Princess, it is Nationwide. The coverage is designed in cooperation with Princess and sold under its name as a convenience to quests (and a source of profit, to be sure); however, once it is sold, Princess  has no part - or interest - in settling claims. That is done by Aon Affinity on behalf of Nationwide under the terms of the policy.

Princess does provide the cruise credit under the cancel-for-any-reason provision because that is not part of the insurance. It is given when you cancel for a reason not defined in the policy. It still costs them nothing because you have already provided the funds, and they’ll hold them until you sail again.

Then do me a favor & closely read the fine print on a cruise line's policy. I go by the Berlitz guide to cruising. They recommend NOT buying from the cruise line & that's good enough for me.

14 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Then do me a favor & closely read the fine print on a cruise line's policy. I go by the Berlitz guide to cruising. They recommend NOT buying from the cruise line & that's good enough for me.

I have read the policy. What fine print are you referring to?

Maybe you mean the list of covered reasons for cancellation. Or the list of exclusions. Perhaps the rules for pre-existing conditions.  All policies have them, but there is nothing in the fine print that makes Princess-branded insurance any less likely to pay a claim than any other policy. 

Recommendations not to buy cruise line insurance are most often based on the fact that the dollar limits for medical and evacuation are relatively low, but they do offer CFAR at no additional cost and the premiums are not based on age, making these policies affordable for older cruisers.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I have read the policy. What fine print are you referring to?

Maybe you mean the list of covered reasons for cancellation. Or the list of exclusions. Perhaps the rules for pre-existing conditions.  All policies have them, but there is nothing in the fine print that makes Princess-branded insurance any less likely to pay a claim than any other policy. 

Recommendations not to buy cruise line insurance are most often based on the fact that the dollar limits for medical and evacuation are relatively low, but they do offer CFAR at no additional cost and the premiums are not based on age, making these policies affordable for older cruisers.

Everything you are saying is true…..appreciate the wisdom and understanding of something that should not be taken lightly….

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Do you mind sharing what insurance companies you buy from then…..enlighten us

I always buy insurance, but not through the cruise line. I get CSA through my TA for more coverage at less cost than the standard cruiseline offering. I've also looked at buying my own policies from affiliations I have through banks and other memberships, and am happy with CSA. Some people that travel on many cruises through the year may benefit from a full year policy. 

My policy covers everything trip related from my first travel day leaving my house, to when I return. Travel to and from the airports, air travel whether private or from Princess EZAir, hotel bookings made outside Princess, and everything else. It's important to consider all the other stuff that goes along with a cruise, and not just the cruise fare itself.

FWIW if you are a medicare recipient & have a  Medicare Advantage plan ,check into emergency medical & medical evacuation coverage  .We have a Aetna  Medicare Advantage plan & all our emergency medical & medical evacuation is covered even when out of the USA 

We also carry the chase Sapphire Credit card which insures our trips up to $20000 each for 2 people under a 40 day trip for free trip cancellation & trip interruption .We are both 82 & our insurance costs would be through the roof so very high   .so we are really pleased with both our Medicare Advantage   medical plan & the chase Sapphire credit card   .BTW ,check out that credit card as the perks are awesome plus you can get back a lot of cash . We love it as it has saved us thousands of $ 

Cliff

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

FWIW if you are a medicare recipient & have a  Medicare Advantage plan ,check into emergency medical & medical evacuation coverage  .We have a Aetna  Medicare Advantage plan & all our emergency medical & medical evacuation is covered even when out of the USA 

We also carry the chase Sapphire Credit card which insures our trips up to $20000 each for 2 people under a 40 day trip for free trip cancellation & trip interruption .We are both 82 & our insurance costs would be through the roof so very high   .so we are really pleased with both our Medicare Advantage   medical plan & the chase Sapphire credit card   .BTW ,check out that credit card as the perks are awesome plus you can get back a lot of cash . We love it as it has saved us thousands of $ 

Cliff

Just be aware that credit card insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.  Anyone considering depending on such coverage needs to understand what the pre-existing exclusion is and if it applies to them. 

Otherwise, the Sapphire card provides excellent travel benefits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Cliff

Hi Cliff-

We also have an Advantage Plan and are covered internationally for urgent and emergency care. However, nothing has been said about medical evacuation. I think I will ask them about that.

Happy Travels!

26 minutes ago, nini said:

Hi Cliff-

We also have an Advantage Plan and are covered internationally for urgent and emergency care. However, nothing has been said about medical evacuation. I think I will ask them about that.

Happy Travels!

I agree also that usually Medicare and Medicare supplemental programs are very limited in any coverage at all out of the country.  I know there are some Medicare Gap programs that will provide some coverage.  We travel with an umbrella stand alone yearly international insurance policy that provides full coverage anywhere in the world.  We have definitely learned from past experience.

The key is when it comes time for people to access their policies (hopefully not) then they will really find out how it works and many have not have read the fine/small print and be surprised that many things are not covered like they thought they were.

We have had to access emergency medical services on cruises while visiting Russia, Jordan and Ecuador and medically evacuation from one country (very costly but thank god we were covered).  

Most countries will not take your insurance and you will pay out of pocket and medical records may not be translated or up to American standards for reimbursement.

If you do not have a cruise line insurance the cruise line might do very little for you or you can be charged medical fees for their services.  It can cost up to $5000 a night if you have to stay in the ship infirmary.  Also you might be off loaded at the next port if the doctor on boards determines it is a problem they are not equipped to handle.  (We had that happen too and they do not arrange transportation for you.)

I realize that not all passengers do a lot of long international cruises so insurance is less a consideration because they are in the US or its' territories or are close enough that they can get back fairly easily from Mexico, the Caribbean or Canada.  We do not have pre-existing conditions but have had some serious medical emergencies when were least expecting them.  We are seen people put off ships in some very isolated parts of the world and you just hope they had good travel insurance.

The primary reason we have purchased Princess travel protection is for the cancel for any reason clause.  We are Platinum so get an upgrade on the policy.  The reason for insurance for us has been that should a pet become ill close to or on sailing date you can comfortably cancel in order to take care of a pet.