Live birds marooned in “Central Park”

Birdnutty

We just got off the Oasis today. We had some pretty bad thunderstorms in the area overnight on one night (don’t remember which one) and the day after that, we saw several birds in the Central Park plantings that must have taken shelter there from the storm. Being a veteran birder, I am acutely aware of birds in my surroundings, and since we walked through CP many times a day, I know they were not there before the storms. I felt so bad for them. They could probably find water, but what would they eat?  This must be a fairly common occurrence with so many boats having a Central Park area, especially during migration. Does anyone know if there are provisions made for these poor marooned creatures who were duped into believing it was real?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

We just got off the Oasis today. We had some pretty bad thunderstorms in the area overnight on one night (don’t remember which one) and the day after that, we saw several birds in the Central Park plantings that must have taken shelter there from the storm. Being a veteran birder, I am acutely aware of birds in my surroundings, and since we walked through CP many times a day, I know they were not there before the storms. I felt so bad for them. They could probably find water, but what would they eat?  This must be a fairly common occurrence with so many boats having a Central Park area, especially during migration. Does anyone know if there are provisions made for these poor marooned creatures who were duped into believing it was real?

It's a cruise, no one goes hungry.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

I understand your concern. It would be interesting to know if Royal has made a plan if and when this happens. No one wants starving birds or worse dead birds on the ship. 

I hope the birds are removed without harming them or killing them.

Would love to know are REAL Answery to this , not just opinions.

Please let us know if you find out TY

• Like 1

We helped an injured bird on our Allure cruise last month. Tried going to Guest Services to report it and find help but they didn't seem to care at all.  I believe the ships used to have horticulturists onboard, perhaps they help with the birds in Central Park?

• Like 1

We were on Oasis several years ago and there were a couple of birds then.  We've had birds on several ships.  They hitch a ride and usually fly off at some point, but some live onboard some ships.  They hardly starve.

In actuality the live trees in central act as more of a sanctuary for these disoriented creatures.

Without it many have died in the past from sheer exhaustion when they get disoriented and unable to find a suitable shelter.

A bird can live for a few days without food. Water is can be found and foraged for. I'm sure some might perish, but more will probably be fine in their temporary shelter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, binro01 said:

In actuality the live trees in central act as more of a sanctuary for these disoriented creatures.

Without it many have died in the past from sheer exhaustion when they get disoriented and unable to find a suitable shelter.

A bird can live for a few days without food. Water is can be found and foraged for. I'm sure some might perish, but more will probably be fine in their temporary shelter.

In 28 cruises we have seen multiple birds onboard, but never a dead one or even one that acts disoriented or sick.  We've had them on ships with and without live trees.  

• Like 2

It happens quite a bit. Birds are stranded on ships by storms, inclement weather or just being tired out. Being stuck in Central Park or on a balcony on a cruise ship is probably much nicer than landing on a cargo ship at sea because it looked like an island or dry land. I can guarantee you they will find little to no food on those.  

It is kind of natural selection.  If the weather improves, they will move on.  Or they will make their way off at the next port stop, or not. 

• Like 2

We had these hitching a ride on a deck 10 balcony railing onboard Radiance when we were crossing the open South Pacific Ocean on a sea day, about 200 miles from shore, when going from LA SERENA , CHILE to LIMA, PERU. 

The next morning they weren't there when we arrived early in LIMA.

DSC03480.JPG

DSC03479.JPG

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BND said:

In 28 cruises we have seen multiple birds onboard, but never a dead one or even one that acts disoriented or sick.  We've had them on ships with and without live trees.  

Wal Marts and warehouse stores always seem to have them

• Like 4

There was this injured black bird on the Ovation Alaska cruise in September.  We were in Juneau and it was very cold.  The bird kept trying to climb up onto the platform but it just couldn’t.  It obviously couldn’t fly and eventually it wobbled to a little space on the side of the platform and just sat there.  I don’t know what happened to it after that.  On another day, I found a small dead bird on the deck outside.  If they are stowaways, it is just too cold for them.

70A240E5-58D1-417F-8EB8-65D7766D5C03.thumb.jpeg.12e6bfc0eccc28e96a076c98285e05b6.jpeg

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

The plants and trees ARE real in Central Park.... 

I realise that.  But they are not part of a real living ecosystem with natural food and water sources.  Incomplete wording on my part, but I figured people would know what I meant.