CBD on caribbean cruise

16 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Is it legal to bring CBD (Delta 8), on a flight from MN to Ft Lauderdale, then onto Odyssey of the Seas?

To fly the CBD has to contain less than 0.3% THC. That is TSA rule for domestic flights. I don't know what the cruise line allows. Check the prohibited items list and your cruise contract. Also what the laws are at the foreign ports the ship calls at allow would also apply. Each country could have a different law. 

Edited by Charles4515

22 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Is it legal to bring CBD (Delta 8), on a flight from MN to Ft Lauderdale, then onto Odyssey of the Seas?

Not so sure asking cc members for general legal advice is the safest way to approach this one.

And then there’s legal advice on a federal level….and on an int’l level to various countries….

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

A person couldn't get high if they drank a gallon of CBD oil and RCCL bans it.  But they'll gladly sell you enough alcohol to get drunk every day......

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sunnyac said:

I take one CBD softgel daily - it looks like a Vitamin D softgel.  And contains less than .01% THC.  I find a difference when I do not take it. Will have to consider if I'll just carry on with my other meds.

The peach rings look just like candy.  And same as you, it does make a difference for me, so I will be taking it with me.

1 hour ago, sunnyac said:

I take one CBD softgel daily - it looks like a Vitamin D softgel.  And contains less than .01% THC.  I find a difference when I do not take it. Will have to consider if I'll just carry on with my other meds.

Some  ports search onboard the ship with sniffer dogs. The dogs have sensitive noses. Many believe the ports do that to get revenue by assesing large fines.  The Bahamas and Bermuda are notorius for that.  So it does not matter what it looks like. What matters is if there is enough THC that the dogs detect it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Some  ports search onboard the ship with sniffer dogs. The dogs have sensitive noses. Many believe the ports do that to get revenue by assesing large fines.  The Bahamas and Bermuda are notorius for that.  So it does not matter what it looks like. What matters is if there is enough THC that the dogs detect it. 

I've never seen officials on board with dogs.  I've often seen them on the pier checking folks getting on or off, but I've never seen them on board.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

A person couldn't get high if they drank a gallon of CBD oil and RCCL bans it.  But they'll gladly sell you enough alcohol to get drunk every day......

Not even close to the point; Royal is following Federal law, as well as the law of the countries they are visiting. 

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I've never seen officials on board with dogs.  I've often seen them on the pier checking folks getting on or off, but I've never seen them on board.

There have been a few stories here over the years about dogs coming onboard.  But, the OP also asked about flying and there are dogs in airports too.  Most islands have much stricter laws than the US does.    

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

You might have been off ship sightseeing .... here in Bermuda officials & dogs DO go on board.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not even close to the point; Royal is following Federal law, as well as the law of the countries they are visiting. 

CBD oil from hemp is legal federally FYI........  And you're obviously not even close to getting my point.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

Yes, various ports request that the Captain allow them to search the ship, with dogs.  The facts are that CBD products are not FDA approved, so there is no guarantee that the THC content is what the manufacturer says it is.  Mariners have used CBD products, and had THC show up in DOT drug screenings, USCG has issued warnings to US mariners about it.  Not only are the CBD products illegal on land in the flag states of most cruise ships (the flag state is the controlling law onboard), but all nations that are signatory to the IMO's STCW (133 nations, providing nearly 100% of ship's crews) must place a zero tolerance for any drugs onboard, so even if CBD is legal in the flag state, it isn't onboard that flag state's ships.

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

CBD oil from hemp is legal federally FYI........  And you're obviously not even close to getting my point.

Except on ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You cant take it.  Weed (and even hemp derived CBD) is bad to them, illegal on a cruise ship and will get you thrown off at the very least, but guests are more than welcome to bring on prescription oxycontin and all other highly addictive narcotics they want to bring because they are FDA approved and a Dr says it ok to take. lol.    

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

TLDR:
It is not legal to bring on an Royal Caribbean ship, and if you decide to take that risk, you might have an unintended excursion to a police station in a foreign land or refused boarding at the start of the trip. A thread on CC will not change this.