BinaxNOW Covid-19 test

barbatkins

I’m sailing on Breakaway on Dec 5….. and the previous week I’m sailing on CCL Valor and 

will have one overnight in New Orleans before boarding Breakaway.

having a hard time finding a testing place near the port or French quarter area for the one 

day….  Does anyone know if NCL will honor  the BinaxNOW test…..it’s a proctored antigen test that

i could do after I check in hotel..

thanks for info

Barb

It's my understanding NCL will accept the Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 proctored home test. I too, hope so as that is what my husband & I will need to use for the recommended test at least 96 hours prior to sail date. We sail on the Bliss 12/12. I have seen others post here that they have used this for that reason and NCL accepts that. 

• Like 2

I assume you are realizing the 96 hour prior test is only necessary if you test positive at the pier and then later want NCL assistance for quarantine, etc.  If you are not looking for that...have travel insurance that will cover or driving, a test is not required except the one NCL will give you before boarding.  

• Like 2

Contact CCL and ask about their testing policy.  NCL provides tests for everyone that needs them in order to fly home - not sure about CCL.  But as someone noted, you aren't required to be tested in advance - unless your destination has a requirement for advance testing.

1 hour ago, barbatkins said:

I’m sailing on Breakaway on Dec 5….. and the previous week I’m sailing on CCL Valor and 

having a hard time finding a testing place near the port or French quarter area for the one 

day….  Does anyone know if NCL will honor  the BinaxNOW test…..it’s a proctored antigen test that

thanks for info

Barb

Have the Valor test you for onward travel. 

You need to read and re-read the cruise-specific requirements that NCL sends you. In general, the requirement is: “Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.”

The shore personnel are not analyzing who gave you the test or the type of test. They are looking for the word “negative” with your name and birthdate on a report. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to read and re-read the cruise-specific requirements that NCL sends you. In general, the requirement is: “Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.”

The shore personnel are not analyzing who gave you the test or the type of test. They are looking for the word “negative” with your name and birthdate on a report. 

I have read….reread….and reread….  That’s why I asked on here

You don’t need to be snide….

I ASKED if they accept Binox results…..that was the question 

if you do not know….. don’t answer

• Like 2

Hi @barbatkins I don’t think the bird was being was being snide.  This is the bird’s consistent answer to this question.  Requirements change all the time.  I think the poster really has your best interest at heart. There have been unfortunate reports of cruisers caught up in the confusion. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, milolii said:

Hi @barbatkins I don’t think the bird was being was being snide.  This is the bird’s consistent answer to this question.  Requirements change all the time.  I think the poster really has your best interest at heart. There have been unfortunate reports of cruisers caught up in the confusion. 

I agree. And I too was going to suggest to @barbatkinsthat she find out whether she can be tested on the Valor. Some cruise lines are testing pax who need tests for post-cruise travel (even on another cruise line). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbatkins said:

That poster is always snide. As if they are the only one who read…reread…and reread. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, barbatkins said:

thanks for info

Barb

To make sure you use the correct test.

NOT ACCEPTED /Abbott Binax NOW Covid 19 antigen test, available OTC at places like Walgreens and CVS. 

ACCEPTED/ Abbott Binax NOW Ag- Card Covid 19 antigen test.

This one needs to be ordered online and has tele-med (video) proctor.

Results are emailed to you.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, barbatkins said:

The test may or may not be valid for YOUR cruise. Folks here will tell you thee we r it is ok, but you could be left behind if you don’t have the right documentation for YOUR cruise. 

Most cruises do NOT require a pre test to get on the ship. 

If YOUR cruise requires a pre test, then follow those directions. If YOUR cruise REQUIRES a test, then an antigen test may not be good enough. 

If you are testing for NCL support, then the k structures I posed above are from NCL on what you need. 

42 minutes ago, phissy said:

NOT ACCEPTED /Abbott Binax NOW Covid 19 antigen test, available OTC at places like Walgreens and CVS. 

thanks so much….. the proctored one is the one I was asking about….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

Contact CCL and ask about their testing policy.  NCL provides tests for everyone that needs them in order to fly home - not sure about CCL.  But as someone noted, you aren't required to be tested in advance - unless your destination has a requirement for advance testing.

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I have asked CCL and unfortunately they do not offer testing for onward travel. The only testing they do onboard are for unvaccinated passenger after 4 days. I even asked if we could pay to be tested, they said no.

19 hours ago, barbatkins said:

thanks so much….. the proctored one is the one I was asking about….

This is from NCL site

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Most cruises do NOT require a pre test to get on the ship. 

If the ship is sailing from a US port then according to the CDC a passenger MUST have a negative Covid test before boarding. It is up to the company whether it is a PCR/NAAT or an antigen test. 

23 hours ago, phissy said:

Can you corroborate?

This from NCL’s Sail-Safe:

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel.

15 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Can you corroborate?

This from NCL’s Sail-Safe:

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel.

You're only quoting the first paragraph. The last paragraph says:

"Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Only a proctored antigen test will include an app that documents your name, date of birth and the date the test was taken. The home use tests you buy at Walgreen's CVS, etc. are not proctored and do not provide the required documentation of the results.

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

"Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Only a proctored antigen test will include an app that documents your name, date of birth and the date the test was taken. The home use tests you buy at Walgreen's CVS, etc. are not proctored and do not provide the required documentation of the results.

Okay, what about the antigen tests that you can schedule to be taken at Walgreens?

27 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Okay, what about the antigen tests that you can schedule to be taken at Walgreens?

The key is medically supervised.

Rapid antigen tests performed at labs and pharmacies are medically administered and results are recorded. 
NCL will still test at embarkation. 

49 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

OK, here are two of the Binax NOW at home Tests 

Purchased OTC at Walgreens $24 for 2 tests.

This one is just for your own use

NOT ACCEPTED FOR TRAVEL

056F04E5-6657-4CA3-AB81-8F1BDE645E6D.jpeg

Edited by phissy