ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

In regard to the spa on the Koningsdam.  I had my very first facial and massage as part of a $299 package on the last sea day of our Pac Coast cruise.  With the $50 discount, when adding back the tip, it was still about $300.  It was a totally new experience for me and it allowed me to use up my OBC.  The therapist interviewed me prior to the treatment and gave me a suggestion as to what I could purchase but my treatment was from 3 to 5 p.m and dinner was at 5:30.  No time to chat.  I was impressed with her skill and professionalism.  

They did send out $50 coupons to everyone for new treatments only. Amazingly they are letting people use it for a $45 haircut. I guess they figure if they get you in they will upsell you on products. I know they have had a lot of openings which is not really typical. Having the ship at 49% capacity really helps 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I am very pleased to read all your posts as they give me a good idea of what to expect when I am aboard in February. Forgive my nosiness but am curious as to why you have a cabana when you are in a Neptune Suite. Is it because of the service? 

Also, how does one book a retreat cabana? Is it through reservations? Can't find it on the HAL website.

It is probably a bit of overkill but I really love the Neptune suites. The concierge is always wonderful, the cabins are great and now Club Orange is fantastic when on a Pinnacle ship. The cabana is nice but only available from 9-5 or so and has nice personalized service during the day. It really depends what you want to do on your vacation. I would not hesitate to do again. There were a number of folks who got inside cabins and then a cabana for the outdoor space. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trixiee said:

Thank you for your detailed posting and pictures!  Because of this I went ahead and booked the exact same retreat cabana for myself!  I cannot wait!!  😀

You will love it! I really like this location and I would get again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thank you for the entertaining description of the spa’s pressure tactics. On our first HAL cruise we each had a massage and I told the attendant that I was not interested in buying any products (repeatedly).

DH came back to the stateroom with about $150 worth of stuff! It sat decoratively unused on the tub surround at home for years until I tossed it out when we moved.

I haven’t set foot in a HAL spa since except for a haircut. I refuse to be aggressively pestered to spend more when I’m splurging on a treatment which is a bit pricey to begin with and intended to be relaxing. It’s especially annoying since I have to read lips in order to understand (impossible with masks). I’ve enjoyed plenty of spa treatments elsewhere on land without this aggravation.  

I wonder if other people avoid the HAL spas for that reason, too.

I have a strong feeling the $200 in products I have so my oil glands don't burn off will sit somewhere until I move also. 

I probably will avoid them next time around. The massages were lovely, but the whole high pressure sales nonsense is not really what I want when I a splurging on a treatment like you said. I have a strong feeling in Mexico there are a lot of options on shore close to the ship that are about 1/3 of the price and none of the headache. I may do a massage still just for the convenience but at least now I know what I would want and will just prebook it and say no to anything else they try to push. 

I also find that I get tired after a massage so the rest of the day is sort of a loss which is not really what I want on my vacation. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I am very pleased to read all your posts as they give me a good idea of what to expect when I am aboard in February. Forgive my nosiness but am curious as to why you have a cabana when you are in a Neptune Suite. Is it because of the service? 

Also, how does one book a retreat cabana? Is it through reservations? Can't find it on the HAL website.

Also, one thing to consider is you can get a cabana on the opposite side of the ship as your room which is great for scenic destinations where you may want one side on one day and the other side on another day. 

To book you have to call Ship Services which is in the document Florida Gal posted. The information is not readily available on the website (I don't really get that as it seems like they want to sell them).

• Like 4

I will do a more detailed cabana review after I get home but here are a couple options. Every other wall has a removable canvas and one group had bought two cabanas next to each other and removed the wall. This really opens up the space and you can fit a table for four in the middle with three to four loungers on the ends, or even put two tables and a couple loungers. The attendants are great about helping you to configure for your needs. I was concerned that there were no chairs but they were only too happy to bring up a couple chairs for me which I prefer to the lounger in most cases. 

CF14856A-52B6-492A-84CA-38F5CFA8C25E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7346b696fe9bd79f4c11af8d512f3412.jpeg

5D8E48E5-FD13-459B-ADB6-B41736201F5D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.81a5ac49472f8d96004d91c3b5f4018c.jpeg

Some pictures of the Port Family Cabana #15. Normally it comes with sort of a day bed for two plus chairs but the folks on here had them bring in loungers instead. 

565E7E82-1EEA-4686-8221-810C8AAE5C64_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.459397c5fe2ccf2104f01f11aa20d550.jpeg

123DAB54-FE91-46E1-890C-6834312D1E7F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.03375e0eea31b8f5d97a7448638d6d22.jpeg

And the Starboard family cabana #8 which has the original configuration. 

DC58A400-10AB-4004-9D0D-4E932DCDB948_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.90222b0ca44b739e4e197b0e62ac4b71.jpeg

DFE9D2A4-099B-4CF9-8D33-9FF422063A1C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.478d35fde3eb91423254dc9324be706d.jpeg

Some cabanas have the outside curtains but I was told those are going away and cannot be added back as they have the plexiglass instead for safety. There are also large curtains you can use to shut off your cabana but these are not really effective in wind and they do not fasten together so they just blow around. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I have a strong feeling the $200 in products I have so my oil glands don't burn off will sit somewhere until I move also. 

I probably will avoid them next time around. The massages were lovely, but the whole high pressure sales nonsense is not really what I want when I a splurging on a treatment like you said. I have a strong feeling in Mexico there are a lot of options on shore close to the ship that are about 1/3 of the price and none of the headache. I may do a massage still just for the convenience but at least now I know what I would want and will just prebook it and say no to anything else they try to push. 

I also find that I get tired after a massage so the rest of the day is sort of a loss which is not really what I want on my vacation. 

Zach: to recap, this has been a truly informative and fun thread. You have been very generous with your time in posting and that is much appreciated.

The food photos have made me gain at least 2 pounds just looking at them :)   Superb!

I know why I never go near the spa and you have spelled it out very well, in exacting detail.

And I am glad you found my fav breakfast,  that poached egg bowl.  The bean one is lacking so stick with the best!

With only a few first-world complaints, as noted, you had a great cruise. I hope you will be sailing again soon and can duplicate all the good you have had on this cruise.

Thanks very much for everything!

• Like 6

On Friday we were treated to a sail by of Cabo San Lucas around lunch time. 

B64CE6D2-FDC3-416A-A05E-9DE2078A6FCA_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.16a083044f74a6116f4935001a301e6a.jpeg

For lunch I went to the Pinnacle Grill as I almost always do on sea days. I had the crab cakes and the Pinnacle Burger with the chocolate brownie for desert. Everything was great and the burger was exceptionally good (and I always substitute the scalloped potatoes for the fries. They did bring the little tray of chocolates and candies before desert. 

At the two tables next to me there were solo travelers and we all enjoyed talking so much that we are going back today but will have one table. I also had dinner with one of my newfound companions. One of the things I really love about HAL is that people are always so friendly pretty much across the board. 

124B6844-29FF-47C7-A198-CFCCFB01BD21_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.93881f7b2af4b52f93b5230d3ecbf0d5.jpeg

24513D8A-4692-4941-96FC-6415311FC598_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.448330bb4c38750190ef93fe0731c04a.jpeg

3665B431-D710-4BD5-B489-CC28C7BE9DBF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a167290e833435598ce4036c8c95df17.jpeg

67E822B4-4D43-4BEC-8673-5DD5662090BE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.91cf9c8dac5fba5a1671de44150d81a4.jpeg

0D610071-6EB9-42E9-974C-6572890A91FB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.33769f756cf5cb96ea80405b95082928.jpeg

C146D41D-AC86-467F-A4E3-DBACCB114BE1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.63db0f2ccc135b62bcd828a461708dc8.jpeg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Zach: to recap, this has been a truly informative and fun thread. You have been very generous with your time in posting and that is much appreciated.

The food photos have made me gain at least 2 pounds just looking at them 🙂  Superb!

I know why I never go near the spa and you have spelled it out very well, in exacting detail.

And I am glad you found my fav breakfast,  that poached egg bowl.  The bean one is lacking so stick with the best!

With only a few first-world complaints, as noted, you had a great cruise. I hope you will be sailing again soon and can duplicate all the good you have had on this cruise.

Thanks very much for everything!

Thank you so much, you are too kind! I did have a fantastic cruise and really do not want to get off tomorrow. I am returning in early March for the same trip so at least I do not have to wait too long! The cruise has been amazing, the crew wonderful and I have been really impressed by both Club Orange and the Cabanas. 

I do have one other petty complaint which is that these housekeeping carts were in the hallway across from my cabin (walking form port to starboard on the aft of deck 7) for the entire cruise. Not sure if they didn't build housekeeping closets or what on this ship. It didn't really bother me as I turn left and go forward but this would have been tedious if I had to squeeze past these the entire cruise to get to my cabin. 

EA0E7B00-6003-4B5E-AE79-8B11677C7033_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aeb5d17a2f120a13c9e3e07ae5431e8e.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday afternoon I was treated to a snack of a cheese plate and my daily milkshake (which I absolutely do not need, and I really do not want to know how much weight I have gained this trip). 

AB63D303-8254-42DB-88D3-B72C6A92E37F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.61f6bcad20a084f31b81497357a4273b.jpeg

C118EC6C-6747-4C2A-926F-8AB4278CE69A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4e9e658d6dc03313aaab613cc298b074.jpeg

For dinner I had booked Canaletto but cancelled in favor of Tamarind. I have found myself wanting more Club Orange and decided to cancel Tamarind for the 2nd gala night. And I even picked up a companion at lunch! 

663D09C7-199E-4226-8533-44CA73AFF3B6.thumb.png.34ef21040cd9714e1e56729ab8c429ed.png

2F43C3AF-FCEF-40AB-A88E-EC8978E6174F.thumb.png.c304bf369ac06a5e8cca345d7fa71de7.png

F0B3E913-685D-41B3-8786-4AC90CE0BB02.thumb.png.f44348bb0e1a5d52c2ebdb29c673706d.png

BA214B80-CF01-41A4-9089-79A165869DB0.thumb.png.6230ce57ebacbbbf6827f7df4448dce7.png

To start with I had the baked brie which was tiny but good. Teh club orange special today was a shrimp fettuccini alfredo which I asked for as a starter. Wow was that fantastic. It was almost like a pesto alfredo sauce. 

9D197561-E281-46AA-9FFF-35E16D989CB4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.eb1063425b451854d69530a560ccdb67.jpeg

For my main course I had the surf & turf - cracked pepper tenderloin with shrimp. The beef was juicy and tender and the shirmp were good. 

E2B33D1B-D683-4B85-ADD2-249408543864_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.bc20169bf435ea735a8c84e19af49f36.jpeg

For desert I had my favorite almond and orange cake which is moist and flavorful. 

B3B0227E-B9A9-4D4F-8C8B-17813F623AC2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fb6e5a0a84726d8fde814280319de99b.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

EA0E7B00-6003-4B5E-AE79-8B11677C7033_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aeb5d17a2f120a13c9e3e07ae5431e8e.jpeg

I have never seen housekeeping carts in the hall on a Holland ship before!  That's really odd.  Always in the halls on Princess ships.  We are trying to recall if they have them on Seabourn but don't remember.  Their hallways were quite wide, at least they were on Seabourn Quest.  May I ask if you had two room stewards this cruise?

• Like 3

@zgsclI haven’t seen anyone mention the tiles.  If you re on a btb do you only receive the tile on the last evening?  On our last evening we received only one tile for the stateroom rather than one tile per person.  Being a couple we are fine with receiving only one tile to share but it would be an issue for people traveling as roommates.  I’m glad HAL is continuing to issue new tiles.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

A bit more info.  There doesn’t seem to be rhyme or reason to when it gets busy in the morning.  At night it hasn’t been busy when I’ve gone or walked by.

This was our experience too. If we didn’t want to wait for breakfast we went to the main dining room.

• Like 3

Dear @zgscl

Thank you for sharing your fun and informative Live review . We almost always have done reviews after we return choosing to enjoy and photograph while on the ship and reviewing and relive it after returning home . Based on your experience we have booked Cabana for our upcoming cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the NA on New Years Eve . Does HAL still include the goodie bag on Neptune Suites including the bar soap? You can see it at the 21 second mark of our video clip of the aft cabin # 5191 on the Zuiderdam .

Thanks again and here's a still shot .

DSC02806 (2).JPG

DSC02813 (2).JPG

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve found that the room at the back is very bumpy and there is a lot of vibration.  I am on deck 4.  My last room on deck 4 was maybe 10 cabins forward and it was as smooth as can be.  I don’t think I’d do this cabin again.  I’ve had aft cabins before and I don’t recall it being this bumpy.

We were in a corner aft on deck 5 last week and found it to be bumpy too. I agree with you - probably would not go for an aft suite again.

• Like 2

There was a wait again this morning in club orange.  It opened at  8:00 and I got there at 8:05.  I was at one of the last tables.

Just a note about the koningsdam if you use a lanyard make sure you have one one with a plastic pouch.  I remembered this from last time but I thought it might have been resolved.  It hasn't so I ended up buying one.

My laundry seemed to take longer than I have experienced on other cruises.  I sent some out yesterday morning and it hadn't come back by one so I asked about it so I could get some packing done.  He did find it.

Zgscl I've loved reading your live from even though I'm here.  You always have such great detail and pictures.  I was a pleasure to meet you as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thank you for the entertaining description of the spa’s pressure tactics. On our first HAL cruise we each had a massage and I told the attendant that I was not interested in buying any products (repeatedly).

I haven’t set foot in a HAL spa since except for a haircut. I refuse to be aggressively pestered to spend more when I’m splurging on a treatment which is a bit pricey to begin with and intended to be relaxing. It’s especially annoying since I have to read lips in order to understand (impossible with masks). I’ve enjoyed plenty of spa treatments elsewhere on land without this aggravation.  

When I go to the spa for a treatment I tell them beforehand that I am not interested in purchasing anything extra.  I take my cochlear implant processors off for the treatment.  They can't win. 🤣  Sometimes being 100% deaf has benefits!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Taters said:

When I go to the spa for a treatment I tell them beforehand that I am not interested in purchasing anything extra.  I take my cochlear implant processors off for the treatment.  They can't win. 🤣  Sometimes being 100% deaf has benefits!

Great input, Taters. I have a CI, too, and a HA. I have to take them off for haircuts, of course. And yet stylists often keep chatting away, just oblivious. I guess when we don’t respond they finally remember.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Taters said:

When I go to the spa for a treatment I tell them beforehand that I am not interested in purchasing anything extra. 

That's a good idea.  I enjoyed a mini-facial and shave on the Eurodam and got a sales pitch for a bottle of lotion that the gentleman used on me.  I loved it so much that I bought it.  It has never been unpacked since 2020.  During my second visit to to the spa, I was never offered anything additional.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zgscl said:

For my main dish I had the lamb along with the cauliflower puree and haricots verts. All of these were exceptionally good and I really enjoyed the lamb. 

Have never ordered the lamb, but, I have ordered the cauliflower puree and the haricots verts.  I like cauliflower, but that rendition was not something that I would order again.  Haricots verts are "green beans" only by a fancy name.  They were good, but, I grew up with many meals that included green beans.  Don't need to now put them in my diet.  (Except for Thanksgiving dinner.  Green Bean Casserole.  I still enjoy.)  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, zgscl said:

Some cabanas have the outside curtains but I was told those are going away and cannot be added back as they have the plexiglass instead for safety.

I've enjoyed your posts throughout the cruise, and am sorry to see it come to an end. You have been very helpful answering questions, and that has helped fill out the mental picture of what cruising is like on these large HAL ships. 

Now, I have a question, prompted by the above quote. Are you saying that there is no way---or will be no way---to block out the sun when it shines into your cabana? What if someone prefers shade, what would they do? Is there anyplace in the outside cabana area that's in the shade? 
Thanks. 

Also, I know this trip you didn't need to pay attention to any aids to make it easier for the disabled, but I was wondering if you noticed any differences from your prior cruise? Was there anything you might have noticed that would make it easier, or more difficult, for a disabled person? 
I know those housekeeping carts sure would make it tougher! 

Thank you for your posts. Have a pleasant trip home. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:47 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I can answer.  Hopefully I won't get told I'm posting again to much.  I was being pokey this morning and I didn't get there until about 8:45 I think.  I had maybe a 15 min wait in the chairs outside club orange.  It is the same the same hours as the open dining or dining room morning hours.

20 hours ago, zgscl said:

The occupancy on this cruise is around 49% so it is really not a good sample. I have never waited  at breakfast or dinner but I have usually come early or late. 

Thank you both for the info about the CO; we are going in January so there may be more passengers.

• Like 1