Has anyone requested an exception to the RCCL masking protocol?

Ken

14 minutes ago, travelhound said:

We may have to switch lines 🙂

Pretty tough to come back once ya do….it’s awesome.   And no pax who feel they missed their calling to be mask police. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

We’re already vaccinated and got the booster shot last week. I understand that we have to wear masks indoors ,only take them off when eating or drinking.What people do with their masks when they get to dining venues .Put on the side of the table, in your purse ? I am thinking about buying a mask case for the dirty masks when we’re eating 😊

you could get one of these...

https://store.purakamasks.com/steralight-uvcbox-gen2

• Thanks 1

Cruise a mask less line as others have said. Celebrity has no kids and Viking tests daily.

Otherwise if you have a medical condition for which you can not wear a mask, you should not be out.  If a few layers of paper impede your breathing You then have condition which makes you extremely vulnerable to getting covid and getting very sick, vaccine or not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lovetoholiday said:

I did 2 UK cruises in the summer with Celebrity, where they not only gave you masks in your cabin (as well as sanitiser) but in the main dining room, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, they gave you a paper bag with the menu, so you could put your mask in it while sitting at the table.

I was very impressed.

Thank you. That gave me an idea. I have a bunch of the paper bags.We will use one for the dirty masks while we’re eating and toss the bag in the trash or recycle bin later.

2A2E5DE1-9135-4B27-B74B-4B784A40B711.jpeg

Edited by Moon Orchid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

We may have to switch lines 🙂

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Pretty tough to come back once ya do….it’s awesome.   And no pax who feel they missed their calling to be mask police. 

Ok. Cancel everything you have on Royal and book one of those others that meets your needs. Again, always a choice. They all clearly call out the expectations up front. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

Ok. Cancel everything you have on Royal and book one of those others that meets your needs. Again, always a choice. They all clearly call out the expectations up front. 

Why would I want to pay RCL to make my life more stressful?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I want my mask exemption too. Can I get a special button or wrist band so people dont ask me why I'm not wearing my mask. I dont want people to bother me about wearing it either.

Indeed you can.  Celebrity and NCL are two options.

• Like 1

I love when people start threads that they know are going to devolve into something else lol.  Like anything else in life, if you don't like the rules, you have a choice.  There's a current post on an auto train FB page about someone literally over the top complaining about being told to wear a mask outside the train station.  There is a reason for that.  For the AT, you have to wait for your vehicle and people crowd together in the waiting area.  If you don't like the rule, you don't have to use the train.  As for an "exemption" as far as I've seen there is none. There is almost no one who can't wear a mask.  People claim medical reasons or  religious ones for not getting the vaccine, but the reality is those are few and far between.  My DH was diagnosed with asthma a year ago, but he can wear a mask.  I have never met anyone who has a legitimate medical reason to not wear one.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Why would I want to pay RCL to make my life more stressful?

Why indeed?  If it will make your life stressful, you should not pay RCL!  You have choices and you should not cruise RCL (or any other cruise line requiring masks) if it will stress you out.  That's no vacation at all!  With some research you'll surely be able to find a vacation plan  that will meet your needs, doesn't involve flying or cruising and having to wear a mask, and won't stress you out.  

• Like 3

More information:  My initial posting was made because of my adult son who is a quadriplegic. He uses a power wheelchair every minute that he is not in bed and operates the chair by sipping and puffing on a straw-like mechanism. He can neither put on or take off a mask, and if he attempts to wear a mask, his lung capacity is so diminished that he cannot breathe well. He is fully vaccinated and actually had COVID a year ago. We have requested an accommodation from RCCL and they are considering it. I believe that it will be safe for him to cruise, but now I am not sure that he will be accepted by the other passengers. We are long-time cruisers and my son has had great experiences in the past. I did not post a follow up message because no one actually answered my initial question. Thanks all for posting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just off the Harmony TA where ALL were vaccinated and ALL were still required to wear masks indoors.  Not a problem for us or anyone we saw.  It's really not difficult to wear a mask.  We also were tested 4 times on the trip, also not an issue.  The ship sailed from Barcelona to Port Canaveral completely clean from Covid.  It was a wonderful trip.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ken said:

More information:  My initial posting was made because of my adult son who is a quadriplegic. He uses a power wheelchair every minute that he is not in bed and operates the chair by sipping and puffing on a straw-like mechanism. He can neither put on or take off a mask, and if he attempts to wear a mask, his lung capacity is so diminished that he cannot breathe well. He is fully vaccinated and actually had COVID a year ago. We have requested an accommodation from RCCL and they are considering it. I believe that it will be safe for him to cruise, but now I am not sure that he will be accepted by the other passengers. We are long-time cruisers and my son has had great experiences in the past. I did not post a follow up message because no one actually answered my initial question. Thanks all for posting.

Highly recommend Celebrity - maskless all the way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken said:

You may get an exemption but it's also possible that Royal may decline out of concern for your son's health.  I hope you find a way for him to enjoy cruising in the future.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ken said:

I can PROMISE you that no one will have the b@!!s to say anything to a quadriplegic who sips and puffs. I find that even in the elevator, people are pretty kind to those with spinal cord injuries. 

As for those on this thread who went left, how does it feel to assume?😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

You may get an exemption but it's also possible that Royal may decline out of concern for your son's health.  I hope you find a way for him to enjoy cruising in the future.

good point. 

As a parent of a paraplegic, we found that cruising in the most enjoyable for her. Complete freedom is something she didnt even get at home. 

46 minutes ago, Ken said:

What is wrong with people?

I would have no problem with your Son cruising maskless and my DD calls me the mask police.

I would say as long as he doesn’t have any autoimmune issues and his Dr clears him, bring him and let’s party! 💕🍸

• Like 4

On 11/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ken said:

If so, were you successful? How long did it take RCCL to respond? I realize that protocols are subject to change, but this is a deal breaker for us.

49 minutes ago, Ken said:

Do you think, @Ken, that it might have been helpful, and this thread would have been different, if you had given this information up front?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I realize that was important information, but I live with it every day, and I just forgot to include it. I originally posted in the special needs forum, but the topic was moved here, and I am sure that is why. I am sorry.

• Like 2

Ken I do apologize for my earlier post and I understand. I see so many posts on these boards from people that have no health issues or any disabilities that want to bend rules just for them. 

i hope you and your family do cruise and have a great time!! 😊 

Edited by chiguy67
  • Like 9