Sorry another Southampton hotel question

Presto2

We have recently booked a May cruise and were surprised at the cost of hotels in Southampton.  Regards parking though, we looked at parking with CPS (poss complimentary with P&O or paid for if OBS better deal), or for a slightly longer cruise Parking 4 Cruises are worth considering.  Then you could use a slightly out of town hotel (perhaps think of a ten mile or so radius), which would be a lot cheaper.

Alternatively if we have loyalty club points with IHG, we would book the Hol Inn on points and arrange parking elsewhere, or even pay the day rate for parking there.  We do not take hotel breakfast since if going on a cruise will not want a full breaky.  We try to keep any. loyalty points to use in Southampton or Manchester Airport as they are the expensive stays so get best deal from points there.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tring said:

We have recently booked a May cruise and were surprised at the cost of hotels in Southampton.  Regards parking though, we looked at parking with CPS (poss complimentary with P&O or paid for if OBS better deal), or for a slightly longer cruise Parking 4 Cruises are worth considering.  Then you could use a slightly out of town hotel (perhaps think of a ten mile or so radius), which would be a lot cheaper.

Alternatively if we have loyalty club points with IHG, we would book the Hol Inn on points and arrange parking elsewhere, or even pay the day rate for parking there.  We do not take hotel breakfast since if going on a cruise will not want a full breaky.  We try to keep any. loyalty points to use in Southampton or Manchester Airport as they are the expensive stays so get best deal from points there.

Have never used the parking --- which one is within walking distance from where IONA will sail from?

51 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have never used the parking --- which one is within walking distance from where IONA will sail from?

If you use CPS , P4C or any other valet parking, they collect the car from you at the terminal and return it when you disembark, even when it's a different terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always use CPS or P4C and stay at Holiday Inn Express  just off M271. Very convenient and has always been well priced and includes buffet breakfast and is then just a short drive to dock gate 10 or 4. There is also a pub Walnut Tree Farm a short walk from hotel where we go for evening meal at reasonable cost.

• Thanks 1

On our next Arcadia cruise,  we have booked PI at the airport - £35. Meal deal for two will be £50, so £85 in total.   

Parking with CPS for free with P&O select fare (I know it is not really free as we get less obc, but we are still getting £290 obc  plus our shareholder benefit) - so seems a good deal to me.

Not swanky, but who cares for 18 hours ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

On our next Arcadia cruise,  we have booked PI at the airport - £35. Meal deal for two will be £50, so £85 in total.   

Parking with CPS for free with P&O select fare (I know it is not really free as we get less obc, but we are still getting £290 obc  plus our shareholder benefit) - so seems a good deal to me.

Not swanky, but who cares for 18 hours ? 

We use PI at the airport for most of our cruises, we have also used the HI express off the M271, which has the advantage of free parking and an inclusive breakfast, but is generally higher priced than PI.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

We use PI at the airport for most of our cruises, we have also used the HI express off the M271, which has the advantage of free parking and an inclusive breakfast, but is generally higher priced than PI.

Not much in it John, is there? Parking at PI is £5, and if you just have the full English breakfast it costs £10 each, so for two, the B&B price, plus parking,  is £60. 

Personally, we are fans of PI.  Great staff,  and the rooms are always immaculate,  with great sound proofing.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

The Dolphin is next to door Wetherspoons.  Handy for breakfast if you're room only.

We always used to stay here, and did again in July this year for a seacation. However, I could not reccomend it now , unless they have made some vast improvements since July. All I can say is thank goodness it was only for one night. Car park had been "let" out to locals, so no room for us, the room was clean, but small ( for a Privilege Room) , half of the "privileges" weren't available, restaurant very poor and breakfast was buffet style with apparently no regard for Covid. Very disappointed.

We have booked the Boathouse Hotel at Hythe Marina for our pre cruise stay next May..just for a change! Deluxe room with "sea view"...well estuary really! -  and balcony £160 B & B. Anyone else ever stayed there?

• Thanks 2

On 11/14/2021 at 7:00 PM, Presto2 said:

but am wondering if there is a similar hotel that we haven't though about

I don't have a specific hotel to recommend, but... don't lock yourself in to staying at a hotel in Southampton. There are lots of places nearby which are easily within reach, and taxi services are accustomed to getting people to the ships. There are several companies which offer parking - Airlynx is one that I've just googled (not a recommendation, just the first one I looked up) and its about £88 for parking for the length my upcoming cruise.

Towns nearby, like Romsey for example, are reasonably close to Southampton for getting to the ship on time, and will be quieter and a nicer place to explore than Southampton (in my opinion, of course).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

We always used to stay here, and did again in July this year for a seacation. However, I could not reccomend it now , unless they have made some vast improvements since July. All I can say is thank goodness it was only for one night. Car park had been "let" out to locals, so no room for us, the room was clean, but small ( for a Privilege Room) , half of the "privileges" weren't available, restaurant very poor and breakfast was buffet style with apparently no regard for Covid. Very disappointed.

We have booked the Boathouse Hotel at Hythe Marina for our pre cruise stay next May..just for a change! Deluxe room with "sea view"...well estuary really! -  and balcony £160 B & B. Anyone else ever stayed there?

It appears the Dolphin is still on it’s journey to the bottom.

Regarding the Boathouse, dined there pre COVID and lunch was good.  Recently friends dined, well actually sent the plates back and walked out and went to.a local Thai Corner, where the food was excellent.  They have returned to Thai Corner and we will dine with them weekend after next.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HikingPete said:

I don't have a specific hotel to recommend, but... don't lock yourself in to staying at a hotel in Southampton. There are lots of places nearby which are easily within reach, and taxi services are accustomed to getting people to the ships. There are several companies which offer parking - Airlynx is one that I've just googled (not a recommendation, just the first one I looked up) and its about £88 for parking for the length my upcoming cruise.

Towns nearby, like Romsey for example, are reasonably close to Southampton for getting to the ship on time, and will be quieter and a nicer place to explore than Southampton (in my opinion, of course).

Thanks for the update. We last stayed there Jan 2019. Does seem to have slid down the hill since.  Staying for a night pre cruise next month, no parking needed. Hopefully might have improved by then.

When we stayed at the HI it was the cheapest in town at the time.The boat show was on and even the budget chains were charging at least 50 quid more.I don't know how they price up their rates,I don't understand those algothingys.

17 hours ago, majortom10 said:

stay at Holiday Inn Express  just off M271. Very convenient and has always been well priced and includes buffet breakfast and is then just a short drive to dock gate 10 or 4. There is also a pub Walnut Tree Farm a short walk from hotel where we go for evening meal at reasonable cost.

We have always been wary of that hotel because of it's proximity to the M271.  Can I ask if you have had a lot of noise from the motorway when staying there?  Our problem is that we would be traveling a fair distance, so unlikely to arrive early to obtain the best placed room.  We can use points for that though.

1 hour ago, tring said:

We have always been wary of that hotel because of it's proximity to the M271.  Can I ask if you have had a lot of noise from the motorway when staying there?  Our problem is that we would be traveling a fair distance, so unlikely to arrive early to obtain the best placed room.  We can use points for that though.

If it's like PI you can phone reception a few days before and ask for a favourable room.They don't advertise the fact but that's what we do.When we don't we always end up on the upper floor at the far end of corridor,and there's no lift,lol.

21 minutes ago, brian1 said:

If it's like PI you can phone reception a few days before and ask for a favourable room.They don't advertise the fact but that's what we do.When we don't we always end up on the upper floor at the far end of corridor,and there's no lift,lol.

Actually, that's the room we want ! No one passing by, and no one in a room above you !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Actually, that's the room we want ! No one passing by, and no one in a room above you !

That's one way of looking at it.If there's a fire you'll be 1st down the fire escape.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Thanks.  We normally do that, but find it is sometimes quite hit and miss, especially if you do not arrive soon after check in time.  We had problems with The Premier Inn Nursling late Oct when our request was totally ignored and we had been given a ground floor room very near to what was a much busier road than we thought.  Even though we arrived at a decent time the receptionist was initially refusing to even try to do anything about it, though after asserting our position for a while, she reluctantly agreed to look and did put us in a better placed room.  She was the most off hand, rude receptionist we have come across for some time - older lady, very bossy type with a very brusk attitude.  Must admit put us off Premier Inns a lot.

TBH we normally do a lot better in IHG's because of loyalty level which can often get us a late check out as well which is handy.  We have now booked Hol Inn Express M27, junct 7 for our 24th May cruise, after looking at reviews, prices etc.  Not been there before, but always worth a try.

We prefer rooms at end of a corridor and struggle upstairs, rather than risk heavy feet above.  Good job diff people have diff preferences though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

It appears the Dolphin is still on it’s journey to the bottom

No, I think it's reached it.  Someone on CC said don't stay there but we didn't listen.  We should have done so..  Horrid it was.  Yes, the car park was full, but when we mentioned it the staff said the Hotel was nowhere near full.

We usually stay at PI West Quay.  You know what you will get there.  There were loads of cases with red Cunard and P and O labels when we were there.  I think its because people are there just on their way to their ship and think it's good value, especially with the £25 meal deal.  We are going to try the multistorey that Grapau used this next time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tring said:

Never noticed any traffic noise at the HIE on the M271, and the motorway is fairly quiet after the teatime rush hour.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks.  We normally do that, but find it is sometimes quite hit and miss, especially if you do not arrive soon after check in time.  We had problems with The Premier Inn Nursling late Oct when our request was totally ignored and we had been given a ground floor room very near to what was a much busier road than we thought.  Even though we arrived at a decent time the receptionist was initially refusing to even try to do anything about it, though after asserting our position for a while, she reluctantly agreed to look and did put us in a better placed room.  She was the most off hand, rude receptionist we have come across for some time - older lady, very bossy type with a very brusk attitude.  Must admit put us off Premier Inns a lot.

TBH we normally do a lot better in IHG's because of loyalty level which can often get us a late check out as well which is handy.  We have now booked Hol Inn Express M27, junct 7 for our 24th May cruise, after looking at reviews, prices etc.  Not been there before, but always worth a try.

We prefer rooms at end of a corridor and struggle upstairs, rather than risk heavy feet above.  Good job diff people have diff preferences though.

Apologies for assuming you had mobility issues.We're quite fit but I guess we are lazy and want to get to the pub/restaurant next door as quickly as possible.We've been lucky with younger keener reception staff.

After two recent stays would recommend Leonardos Grand Harbour overlooking the harbour area.  The fist stay we had a sea view balcony room as it was a birthday celebration but the last time we had just a regular standard double and it was really good value .. newly refurbished .. very comfortable bed .. lovely bathroom with good shower over bath.  
Its within walking distance of the big modern shopping center with a great choice of restaurants open in the evening.  
We left early so had room only price .. we found breakfast a bit of a bun fight the first stay with a long queue for coffee machines.  There is a kettle in the room and we had pastries and coffee before leaving.  
We prefer to park with CPS and in current times this makes drive through testing an easy option.  There were long queues at the terminal for those who had been dropped off with people having to stand outside waiting and your car is ready and waiting on your return just a short walk from leaving the terminal.  

On 11/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

It appears the Dolphin is still on it’s journey to the bottom.

Just seen announced locally that the Dolphin is cancelling all its bookings for the next five months as it will be used to house refugees.

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:21 AM, HikingPete said:

Agree. We have in the past stayed in Basingstoke, and more than once ,Fleet, a 50 minute drive into Southampton.  Had a Miller and Carter next door and one of those drive thru Starbucks.

Next May, I've stumbled upon "New Place" ,a country manor style hotel and wedding venue . It's in Fareham, 30 minutes from Southampton. I booked yesterday,through Booking dot com for just £74 b&b 😲. I'd looked at reviews and the best deal came up while I was reading them . There's a restaurant and bar meals ,reasonable ish  prices though menu looks limited , or a pub round the corner,,for more choice for food  . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just seen announced locally that the Dolphin is cancelling all its bookings for the next five months as it will be used to house refugees.

Andy

Oh @@@@!  We're booked in there pre-cruise next month and again in Feb!  Haven't received anything from them so far.  Hopefully there's a bit of inaccuracy in that announcement, and they're actually only not taking new bookings....

In the meantime I'm off to do some research 😨