Dining room dress code - what's the point??

samson66

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

There have already been reports of "pool hogs".  With some ships limiting how many can be in the swimming pool at one time, people have complained that others won't get out of the pool in a reasonable amount of time to allow others to enjoy the pool.

if i could take a picture right now I would gladly verify that.  Solarium pool is packed on the Adventure.  

15 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I was recently on Carnival's mardi gras and they did it. Never seen it on royal caribbean, but I've only been cruising the last 13ish years. 

Ah, the experiences we get from cruising different cruise lines! I started off with Carnival Cruise Lines back in the early 90’s when Ecstasy was brand new. Continued with CCL and mixed it up with RCI and the Sovereign-, Vision-, and Voyager-classes, then marched thru a wide variety of cruise lines and ships (Celebrity, Cruise West, HAL, Cunard, Princess, and then back to Carnival, and RCI, etc.) until ending up with Princess Cruises as my overall favorite. Looking forward to being back on RCI after all of these years!

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Many years ago, much younger and didn't know any better, I was stopped at the door of the MDR, for wearing a tank top. I went back to my cabin and changed. Learned my lesson.

Fast forward to today, and all the muscles have turned into fat, I don't even wear tank tops anymore. Much like the covid virus, my dress code for formal nights mutated from wearing a tux, then suit & tie, then sports jacket and polo, then just polo shirt and dress pants...now it's mostly funny Hawaiian shirts (untucked) & black pants...the Hawaiian shirts are extra loose to hide my now ever growing pot belly.

Note: It has been quite fun observing how people from different cultures dress when cruising from Europe, Asia, South America...or even our favorite, sailing out of Puerto Rico. We've seen as many as 40 beautiful teens celebrating their "quinceneara", all dressed in lavishly decorated full gowns, along with all the family members dresses to the 10's....incredible event.

Lastly, for us, it's not what you wear...it's hygiene...nuff said.

We had 30-40 of those young girls on our cruise last year.  Their mostly identical wardrobes consisted of dental floss and postage stamps.  Dresses that came nowhere close to covering their derrières.  My ten year old grandson got quite an eyeful!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

When I’m on vacation sorry but last thing I wanna do is get dressed up in a tux or suit and tie.   
but I will wear 125.00 shorts and a formal T-shirt and new socks . Lolol.   
It’s a button up dress shirt and shorts every other night.  

some hats I understand.   Some guys just need it for security as their going bald lol.    

nice to see the old CC coming back.     Can we talk 2.00 bills soon.   

5A9E63B7-843F-44CD-8F97-D43863B231AA.png

Thank you for reminding me:  I have never seen a post in which someone stated how much their suit/tux/dress/gown cost, but with jeans (insert brand), Tommy Bahama shirts (insert price), and now shorts, it's important to prove how appropriate the garment is.

• Haha 2

On 11/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, George C said:

When was your previous cruise before this? Unfortunately it’s been like this for a few years. 

Sorry for the delay. Was traveling home all day yesterday and unpacking, etc. today. Last cruise I took was MSC out of Miami Nov 2019.  Their formal nights was pretty much as I remember it.  Very few in casual clothes. Prior to that was maybe 2017 and I can't remember if Carnival or RCL.

I'm not a heavy cruiser so I didn't realize how much things have changed.  They used to be specific on what they wanted you to wear in the dining room and on formal nights- MSC did this.  I should have realized when I saw "wear your best" that things were different now.

That's fine, now I know better. We like to dress up a little in the dining room. I typically wear khakis and a polo or button up, and a full suit on the formal nights. It's fun to dress up every once in a while and we get some great photos.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On my last cruise,in 2019 on Formal night a guy came into the MDR wearing a white tee shirt and white shorts.He also hat a hat on,not a baseball cap and was carrying a laptop.He sat at a table for two and began typing.Somebody at my table asked our Waiter about him and was told that the guy is a famous actor.He did not look familiar to me .

I personally like to dress up some because the MDR is generally nicer with tablecloths and waiters dressed more formal. I like to honor them and the atmosphere. That being said if it’s just a suggestion then that’s fine for whoever wants to dress more casually. 

I’m about to hit the big 5 0 and I think I’m just old enough to know that wearing a hat to dinner is/was a faux pas. Anyone much younger probably hasn’t lived by that rule.   And if the rules of etiquette have changed then so be it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

On my last cruise,in 2019 on Formal night a guy came into the MDR wearing a white tee shirt and white shorts.He also hat a hat on,not a baseball cap and was carrying a laptop.He sat at a table for two and began typing.Somebody at my table asked our Waiter about him and was told that the guy is a famous actor.He did not look familiar to me .

Really....Your table mates thought they had the right to ask....hmmm. I would think it's no ones business.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mawvkysc said:

I personally like to dress up some because the MDR is generally nicer with tablecloths and waiters dressed more formal. I like to honor them and the atmosphere. That being said if it’s just a suggestion then that’s fine for whoever wants to dress more casually. 

I’m about to hit the big 5 0 and I think I’m just old enough to know that wearing a hat to dinner is/was a faux pas. Anyone much younger probably hasn’t lived by that rule.   And if the rules of etiquette have changed then so be it. 

Some people wear head coverings for religious reasons.

2 hours ago, poocher said:

We had 30-40 of those young girls on our cruise last year.  Their mostly identical wardrobes consisted of dental floss and postage stamps.  Dresses that came nowhere close to covering their derrières.  My ten year old grandson got quite an eyeful!

Yet they would be the first to complain if a guy said anything "inappropriate" lol.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BND said:

A baseball cap?

Actually, the gentleman that owns our local market is a Sikh. He wore a baseball cap for a long time before he went back to a turban. He thought customers might have issues. :classic_smile:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, poocher said:

Their mostly identical wardrobes consisted of dental floss and postage stamps.

Are we talking dental tape and Priority Mail stamps, or unwaxed and 5 cent stamps?  Asking for a 10-year old.

--bruce T.

• Haha 5

On 11/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, bucfan2 said:

Good Lord….$125 buys anyone I know an entire wardrobe of shorts.

You've got that right.  If I catch Sam's Club during their fall close-out, I can get 8-10 pairs for $125!

--bruce T.

9 hours ago, matt1 said:

…the Baked Alaska parade of waiters. 🥰 That was a big deal “back in the day”. 👍🏻 Don’t even know if they still do that. 

😁😁

We did a family cruise with my folks and 4 of my cousins/spouses on Grandeur in 2001.  Remember that the waiters had different vests for Italian night, etc.  Yes they did the Baked Alaska parade.  On Vision in 2015 and 2017 and it was all changed.  Even the "after dinner" drinks they promoted every night with the different color glasses.  My cousin still has a whole set of those things.

• Like 1