RCCL bogus new policy, buyers beware!

mikna

2 minutes ago, mikna said:

Wow people seem really desperate to clear RCCL's name. 

-I never, ever said anything about it being illegal.  

-We went to their 'health protocals' links before purchasing our tickets, and there was no mention of this policy. RCCL admitted to us, on the phone 4 times, that they instituted this policy after we booked. We did not "flame the cruise line for providing the information required to make informed decisions" we are unhappy with them changing the rules, AFTER we booked, to not let us off the ship unless we pay them money.

-These policies are NOT the individual Island policies! The individual countries allow us to get off at ports & use local providers. Really. I've personally spoken to them. Have you? This is, by their own admission, a RCCL policy.

Screenshot (4).png

Maybe its Barbados that is determinign that rather than the other islands? The way its worded makes it seem like its related to the cruise being out of Barbados rather than the Islands. 

(And no I'm not trying to clear Royal's name - I just don't think they would have something like this in place just for the sake of it) 

I fact from some of the thngs I've just read I do think thats what it is - Barbados seem to say "In Transit" ports of call if you don't bubble then you need to re-test before disembarking back onto Barnados. Although the info on the Visit Barbados site and other affiliated links isn't clear but thats certainly an interpretation of it so maybe Royal being safe rather than sorry?

• Like 1

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Royal Caribbean is very good about bombarding you with emails about the protocols that are in effect for your cruise. If a passenger chose not to read those emails until a week before their cruise, that was their choice. The protocols are communicated over and over to avoid misunderstandings and to set expectations. We have been on multiple post-restart cruises and I am confident that the passengers on this cruise have got frequent emails as their cruise as it has gotten closer.

This type of passenger behavior is not uncommon across the cruise industry. Other lines have had issues with large number of passengers showing up to check-in without the requisite paperwork and registrations to travel to countries like Bermuda. And, sadly, some have been left behind on the dock if they don't have the information required to register before the ships departure. 

There are so many assumptions in your post. I mean, it has to be anything or anyone except RCCl, right?

-We did a ton of research for this cruise, and nowhere did it say we had to book RCCL excursions.

-They, by their own admission, just recently changed their policy. We have had many emails & phone conversations with them over the last month about it. Contrary to what you seem to want to believe, this policy is RCCL's alone.

-"This type of passenger behavior"? We have been preparing for this cruise for months! We were practically begging RCCL for updates for a solid month before they released the new policy. None of your examples of this are relevant to our situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are published protocols for this cruise which have been communicated repeatedly. If passengers fail to read the protocols, then it is hard to blame Royal Caribbean's fault. The post clearly shows that the passenger has finally taken the time to read the protocols.

But the published protocols are NOT what the cruise situation is. This is what I have been repeatedly stating.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

I fact from some of the thngs I've just read I do think thats what it is - Barbados seem to say "In Transit" ports of call if you don't bubble then you need to re-test before disembarking back onto Barnados. Although the info on the Visit Barbados site and other affiliated links isn't clear but thats certainly an interpretation of it so maybe Royal being safe rather than sorry?

But I have literally spoken to Barbados officials myself. That is NOT the situation. Also, RCCL has admitted to us that it only a RCCL policy.

Just now, mikna said:

But I have literally spoken to Barbados officials myself. That is NOT the situation. Also, RCCL has admitted to us that it only a RCCL policy.

Okay so I would sugget cancel then - tell the you aren't happy with the policy change. Either that or find cheaper excursions? 

They do reserve the right to change their policies and to change itineries, etc as they wish - its in the small print. Its only really when its a change like a a ship change that realistically anyone has any recourse.  Same as a music festival - they can change their bands and headliners, but if they remove a whole day thats a different matter. 

36 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are published protocols for this cruise which have been communicated repeatedly. If passengers fail to read the protocols, then it is hard to blame Royal Caribbean's fault. The post clearly shows that the passenger has finally taken the time to read the protocols.

@mikna is correct - Barbados protocols were only released about 10 days ago.  

@little britain created a thread about the new Barbados protocols in this forum,  when they were received. 

Edited by BSocial
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikna said:

According to RCCL and the government person in Barbados I spoke with (don't remember a name) that is not correct. Even RCCL has repeatedly stated this is their own self-instituted policy.

15 minutes ago, mikna said:

What type of official?  It is published right in the Barbados Cruise handbook from the Barbados government that indeed cruisers, depending on the date of their PCR test and vaccination status, must be on bubble tours.

It was published in October, 2021, which is most likely what drove the changes at Royal Caribbean.

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/bpi_covid-19_port_protocols

Edited by cured

2 minutes ago, cured said:

What type of official?  It is published right in the Barbados Cruise handbook from the Barbados government that indeed cruisers, depending on the date of their PCR test and vaccination status, must be on bubble tours.

It was published in October, 2021, which is most likely what drove the changes at Royal Caribbean.

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/bpi_covid-19_port_protocols

Thats what I was reading alongside some other bits. Sounds like Barbados want bubble tours on in transit ports for home porting and debarking from Barbados cruises as well otherwise its test to get back in? Which would surely mean everyone on board needing to test even if they didn't leave the ship which is a lot. Seems a better option just to say "If you are leaving from Barbados then bubble tours only" My guess that the 3 stops you can walk round the port at are "enclosed" ports maybe?

15 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Thats what I was reading alongside some other bits. Sounds like Barbados want bubble tours on in transit ports for home porting and debarking from Barbados cruises as well otherwise its test to get back in? Which would surely mean everyone on board needing to test even if they didn't leave the ship which is a lot. Seems a better option just to say "If you are leaving from Barbados then bubble tours only" My guess that the 3 stops you can walk round the port at are "enclosed" ports maybe?

Exactly. And RCL is going to err on the side of caution so as not to lose the port.

Unlike what the OP believes, the protocols are set by the government, not RCL.

As another poster pointed out, if this was RCL's money grab scheme, why do they only choose 3 islands and not all the Caribbean islands? Why not St. Maarten?  They could make a fortune off excursions to Maho and Orient beaches. Common sense and a bit of research into each of the islands tells you it is the island governments of the 3 islands that have set or even suggested the protocols.

Carnival has a bubble tour requirement too. Maybe all the cruise lines are in cahoots to money grab. Or maybe, just maybe' they are all following the local government's rules.

image.thumb.png.6eeab6cb5f5b852fc2184c9d0342212f.png

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

It is NOT Royal Caribbean that is restricting you.  Each island has their own protocol and restrictions.  Unfortunately, you happened to pick an itinerary where the ports are restricting tours.  There are plenty of islands that are allowing you to purchase tours and go independently such as Antigua, Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Cozumel just to name a few.  Please research before you make such a post like this.  It's simply not true. If you don't like the rules in the ports your ship calls on, then I suggest you cancel with CWC and apply the FCC to another sailing with ports less restrictive.

• Like 4

The other thing I wondered was if it was erring on side of caution because the guidance wasn't overly clear,could be interpreted in different ways and maybe a bitn of future proofing?

Also, maybe taking the opportunity to put that policy in place because they have concerns over numbers on some of the islands and having issues getting back into Barbados if they do pick up a case?

I guess I don't see why they would only do itnforthe cruises outof Barbados and no others if it was simply a money making exercise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikna said:

I tried, but they would NOT refund.

You may need to try several different times, including going up to a supervisor. Try variations of why you won't/can't go, including trying the "I'm not vaccinated route". If that fails, try the ole mbayley@rccl.com email route.

OK I could reply with the same facts over & over, I am done with this bickering. I have posted what I want: A warning to those who might be thinking of booking a RCCL cruise. People are free to believe it or not. Informed consumers are a good thing. Cheers!

Informed consumers are a good thing.

Discuss the shore excursion issues with others on the same sailing in the Roll Call thread for your sailing. If you do find alternatives, you can cancel on board for OBC.

OK I could reply with the same facts over & over, I am done with this bickering. I have posted what I want: A warning to those who might be thinking of booking a RCCL cruise. People are free to believe it or not. Informed consumers are a good thing. Cheers!

If WE are so misinformed and not you then why am I able to get off the ship and freely book a tour on my own or just explore on my own in several ports on my upcoming cruises that depart next month? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikna said:

To be clear... I'm not particularly saying you are wrong but more trying to work it out in a way that might help you or explain to others what's going on. 

Also... This isn't happening on all cruise departures, at this point this change is specific to Barbados (bubble tour requirments have been in place for months for med for example) 

I guess the biggest warning here really for anyone is that policies and protocols can change with little notice so if you are cruising for specific ports, activities or excursions maybe wait til things are less fluid.

Why not push for a refund and go on a specific snorkeling holiday to a specific island instead? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roseybaby said:

It’s a small price to pay for remaining COVID free and enjoying the cruise. We were disappointed that we had to cancel our private tours in Spain but we were thrilled to travel to Europe again and RCCL did an outstanding job in keeping all safe.  The world is different, try to adapt.  

Assuming you're vaccinated, these policies don't do anything to keep you safe. You're already protected. Just because somebody came up with a rule doesn't mean its effective.

45 minutes ago, mikna said:

well it's a shame that the Barbados officials opinion differ from RCCL's. We cancelled this cruise because of Barbados' testing and quarantine requirements pre-cruise and post-cruise. Those officials just lost their island some income.

31 minutes ago, mikna said:

You haven't posted any "facts." Just that you claim Royal Caribbean and a Barbados official told you that it was Royal Caribbean's policy and not the government's policy.

Nobody is arguing that there are bubble excursion requirements at a few islands.  Nobody is arguing that protocols are changing on a monthly, weekly, even daily basis, both before and after final payment, due to changing rules.

What is being dismissed are your claims that these changes are not driven by the individual government and are driven by RCL.  Numerous posters have tried to help you understand by providing information on where to find the individual foreign government's protocols and there is a link to the Barbado's government document that their government DOES require bubble excursions for certain passengers.

If you were only meaning to warn fellow passengers that protocols can change and to keep aware, that would have been great and very helpful.

But the minute you added the diatribe that it was all a money grab by Royal Caribbean with the continued misinformation, the helpfulness of your actual information, that to be aware protocols can change on a dime, was obscured by what appears to be just another rant of a misinformed, angry, passenger.

Edited by cured
  • Like 8

P&O cruises also sail from Barbados.

This is their guidance this week…… interesting to note which ports you can and cannot get off by yourself at. Just sayin.

I am on Grandeur for 7n in March: currently EVERY port has to be a ship’s excursion including St Vincent and St Lucia.

67EC04AA-1CF1-4831-A355-1BFA3B631744.jpeg

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, mikna said:

I’m on the Liberty of the Seas right now;  booking independent  at every stop, this is my 3rd trip since the restart, have booked independently everywhere except St Kitts 

I don’t care what some customer service member in a call center told you, this is not a unilateral Royal policy 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

3 hours ago, mikna said:

Grandeur of the Seas starting in Barbados.

Now we get to the bottom of it.    May have helped if you put your sailing info in original post.

Barbados has some very strict travel rules.     Did you read the Barbados health site?    Sounds like they don't want cruises that are embarking and disembarking from their island to allow passengers out their bubble.

Royal will have their first sailing out of Barbados in December.     It is possible the rules may change if Barbados allows. 

I was booked for Grandeur sailings Feb 6th and Feb 14th but cancelled both of them in Sept/Oct when I read the Barbados travel website.    

If you are unhappy then cancel and get a refund like I did.

• Like 1