Cruising in May in the Caribbean, need pointers.

vaindioux

Hi

We cruised twice 10 years ago. We want to cruise in the Caribbean and have a week in May 2022. Just wondering if you experienced cruisers can give us pointers.

Here is some help: We would like to avoid cruises with lots of kids. Any cruise company is fine, we are not fussy, we want an affordable cruise..Lots lots lots of ports opposed to cruising. Anything in the Caribbean is fine. We cruised twice 10 years ago and went to the Bahamas, Key West, Saint-Martin, Barbados, Martinique and both Carnival and Royal Caribbean's private islands.

Thanks a lot

Pat and Kris

3 minutes ago, vaindioux said:

Hi

We cruised twice 10 years ago. We want to cruise in the Caribbean and have a week in May 2022. Just wondering if you experienced cruisers can give us pointers.

Here is some help: We would like to avoid cruises with lots of kids. Any cruise company is fine, we are not fussy, we want an affordable cruise..Lots lots lots of ports opposed to cruising. Anything in the Caribbean is fine. We cruised twice 10 years ago and went to the Bahamas, Key West, Saint-Martin, Barbados, Martinique and both Carnival and Royal Caribbean's private islands.

Thanks a lot

Pat and Kris

IMO, the Caribbean has become a WalMart parking lot for floating amusement parks with thousands of passengers overrunning once-exotic locations.

FWIW, consider the Pacific Ocean including French Polynesia and the South Pacific.

• Like 1

Not too many choices for May  find the dates that suit your time frame 

School will probably not be out until the end of May in the USA so you may avoid a lot of children

Take plenty of sunscreen

May is still pretty much school season, so there probably won’t be too many school age children on board.   I would suggest you look at early May: not as very hot as later in the month, probably a few more cruises to choose from than later in the month, and greater likelihood that schools will be in session than later in month - meaning fewest kids.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, the Caribbean has become a WalMart parking lot for floating amusement parks with thousands of passengers overrunning once-exotic locations.

FWIW, consider the Pacific Ocean including French Polynesia and the South Pacific.

That would be a huge jump in the budget!

• Like 1

OP, Where do you live?  I ask because your departure port - and any flights you need to get there - can affect your decision.  For example, we regularly sail from Baltimore, as it is convenient for us; but to get to Florida ports we need to fly.  

May should be fine for not having hundreds of kids aboard.

As well as RC and Carnival, you could also look into MSC and Princess, each of which will have two or more ships sailing in the Caribbean and Bahamas.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

He just has a week.  EM

Hi

Thanks everyone for the help. Yes we have only one week. And yes from the Caribbean to French Polynesia it's like wanting to have dinner at MD but since it's crowded go across the street at the expensive steak house LOL

We are in Atlanta. Tampa is not that far.

Pat and Kris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Most schools in the southeast are out mid-May, certainly by the third week.  Go to www.cruisetimetables.com, plug in the Florida and gulf coast ports for departure and see who is sailing in may.  EM

Wow this website is great to plan ahead!

Thanks Essiesmom

Pat and Kris

1 hour ago, vaindioux said:

Hi

Thanks everyone for the help. Yes we have only one week. And yes from the Caribbean to French Polynesia it's like wanting to have dinner at MD but since it's crowded go across the street at the expensive steak house LOL

We are in Atlanta. Tampa is not that far.

Pat and Kris

Do you realize that some cruise lines’ cabin prices include air tix? 
Even if your cruise line doesn’t include air, you can fly from CA to Tahiti for under <$800 RT and from Newark (or even Atlanta) <$1000 RT (e.g., United).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The OP has asked for something that is nearly impossible.  The way to avoid a lot of kids on a Caribbean cruise is to either choose an upscale cruise line that either does not allow kids or has a strong disincentive for kids.  But once you limit yourself to 7 cruises with the usual mass market lines you are guaranteeing there will be plenty of teens/children.  Cruising during the school year used to help, but now many parents have no qualms about pulling their kids out of school (even if it is illegal) and many others home school kids so can easily book cruises during the normal school year.

To maximize ports on a 7 day cruise we would normally suggest a cruise out of Puerto Rico that will usually hit 6 ports in 7 days.  But at the moment nobody is cruising out of San Juan because of COVID related issues.  There is also another problem in that many Caribbean islands have COVID restrictions which cause difficulties for cruise ships.

My advice to the OP is to consider going to an adult-only All Inclusive resort.  You will have no kids and will generally have access to the region of the resort.  The truth is that during this COVID era those of us who continue to cruise most make lots of compromises on what we book and the related restrictions.

Hank

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Do you realize that some cruise lines’ cabin prices include air tix? 
Even if your cruise line doesn’t include air, you can fly from CA to Tahiti for under <$800 RT and from Newark (or even Atlanta) <$1000 RT (e.g., United).

You are still talking about a lot more than a week and a lot higher out-of-pocket cost than would be involved in a mass market Walmart of the seas sailing for a week out of Florida. 

i Agree -- Oceania is worth the money (and Tahiti is worth the time) but if limited in both, one has to put off the great experience for the future, and enjoy what is possible today.

• Like 3

The OP shouldn't worry about a lot of kids...Yes they'll always be some but we've cruised during spring/school breaks and most of the time had no idea how many were actually onboard it wasn't a problem at all.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are still talking about a lot more than a week and a lot higher out-of-pocket cost than would be involved in a mass market Walmart of the seas sailing for a week out of Florida. 

i Agree -- Oceania is worth the money (and Tahiti is worth the time) but if limited in both, one has to put off the great experience for the future, and enjoy what is possible today.

I have actually been to Tahiti which is not paradise but nice to go out and to stuff like markets. Then I spent the rest of the time on Moorea which is just paradise.

Pat and Kris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

My advice to the OP is to consider going to an adult-only All Inclusive resort.  You will have no kids and will generally have access to the region of the resort.  The truth is that during this COVID era those of us who continue to cruise most make lots of compromises on what we book and the related restrictions.

Hank

Well great minds collide. We have also starting looking for an all inclusive resort on the Dominican Republic.

Pat and Kris

10 minutes ago, vaindioux said:

Well great minds collide. We have also starting looking for an all inclusive resort on the Dominican Republic.

Pat and Kris

We have managed to continue traveling throughout much of the Pandemic.  As seniors we are cognizant  of our remaining time and we try to enjoy every day :).  After returning, last March, from our usual winter in Puerto Vallarta DW and I got the itch to travel and looked for an AI.  We quickly booked the Excellence in Puerto Morelos, Mexico because Mexico (besides being our home for 10 weeks every year) was one of the few countries open to tourism.  The Excellence was indeed Excellent and crowded with Americans (Canadians could not travel at that time) who were all determined to enjoy their travel life despite COVID.  We had a fantastic 10 days at that resort (and we shall return) where most left their masks in their rooms and enjoyed a normal vacation.  

Punta Cana is also a good area for AI's so we do wish you the best of luck and hope you find the perfect resort :).   

Hank

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

My wife and I will do anything we can to avoid vacationing around kids/families. As mentioned, early-May is perfect for this when it comes to Caribbean cruising 🙂 We'll either do late January through early March, or early to mid-May. 

As a general comment, Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival ships will be likely to have more families with children, while Celebrity and especially HAL will have fewer.

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

My wife and I will do anything we can to avoid vacationing around kids/families. As mentioned, early-May is perfect for this when it comes to Caribbean cruising 🙂 We'll either do late January through early March, or early to mid-May. 

"Anything"......Then only sail on an adults only cruise or adults only resort. 

Regardless of when you sail there will be children and families onboard most all the mainstream cruiselines.

OP, Perhaps another factor to consider, in minimizing the number of kids aboard, is the size of the ship and the extensiveness of its features such as thrill rides, bumper cars, etc.  Smaller ship with few "wow" features will most likely have fewer kids.

We sail in May most years, on smaller RC ships, and rarely know of any children aboard.  An August sailing, once, was the only time we saw some.

If you are able to compare ship sizes and amenities on a few websites, you can also look at the port options, to get a good variety that suits you.  If you are unable to do that, ask here, and we can certainly do so.

I looked at a few listings on my TA's site.  The only sailing from Tampa in May that I could find is Carnival Paradise, just a 5-night cruise with 2 ports.

From Port Canaveral there is RC Harmony of the Seas or MSC Divina, both with 7 nights and 4 ports.  From Fort Lauderdale is Caribbean Princess, also 7 nights and 4 ports.  I eliminated a couple of other ships that advertise "tons of thrill rides/kids water park" etc.

Is all of May open for you right now?  Or only certain weeks?  Probably the earlier the better, for avoiding hordes of children.

8 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

We'll either do late January through early March, or early to mid-May. 

Just a warning:  don't cruise the week of the President's Day holiday (3rd Monday in February) if you are trying to avoid large numbers of kids because many northern public schools have winter vacation that week.  That translates to more kids, higher fares, and higher hotel costs if arriving a day early.

You could also drive to New Orleans for a 7 night cruise in either Carnival or Norwegian. It’s probably about the same distance. You would be close to Mexican ports as well as some Caribbean islands.

I agree with early in May as our schools here in Texas and nearby states get out in mid-May.

Edited by Pudgesmom