At What Capacity Are Ships Sailing in December?

HLR

Hi All!

Booked on the Legend for Christmas out of Baltimore. Seems like there are very few cabins showing as still available. What do people out there know about the capacity they are booking as of now?

Howard

• Like 1

I am on the same cruise as you and was wondering the same thing earlier this morning.

i checked the carnival page in an incognito window and they would not allow me to even check a room for that specific cruise. This leads me to believe it is sold out and 100% capacity. I have heard from others that they have been on sold out cruises in the last month or so. So i cannot imagine they are holding back chances to sell more.   See you on board!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fireworks77 said:

Holiday sailings will be at 110-125%. this is directly from a respected travel publication.

full of teens. occupancy is calculated on cabins able to accommodate 3-4 pax.

For our upcoming Xmas cruise we were not allowed to put more then 2 people in one room.  Had to get 3 rooms for a family of 5. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PSU2LSU said:

For our upcoming Xmas cruise we were not allowed to put more then 2 people in one room.  Had to get 3 rooms for a family of 5. 

It probably depends if the room has those beds in the wall/ceiling. Not every single room has those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CookieShip said:

It probably depends if the room has those beds in the wall/ceiling. Not every single room has those.

We booked a total of 4 rooms using a promo code that only allowed two of the guest to get the promotional offer.  If we added a 3rd guest it would have exceeded the costs of just getting a extra room and leaving it empty.  We had a odd number of guests so and I have 3 kids so one room will be empty.  PVP confirmed that doing it this way was the most cost effecient given the promo code.  He mentioned he had to do this for other families using the same promo code.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PSU2LSU said:

We booked a total of 4 rooms using a promo code that only allowed two of the guest to get the promotional offer.  If we added a 3rd guest it would have exceeded the costs of just getting a extra room and leaving it empty.  We had a odd number of guests so and I have 3 kids so one room will be empty.  PVP confirmed that doing it this way was the most cost effecient given the promo code.  He mentioned he had to do this for other families using the same promo code.  

so it wasn't that you couldn't get  3 or 4 person room, it was that it was better financially for you to do it this way. that's a big difference.

• Like 3

Just now, Denverdonkeys said:

so it wasn't that you couldn't get  3 or 4 person room, it was that it was better financially for you to do it this way. that's a big difference.

Yes I should have worded it differently.  But the purpose of Carnival putting that promo code in was to keep capacity down.  I see no other reason to limit the special offer to two guests.  It was cheaper for me to pay 2x the rate and leave the room empty then just to add a 3rd person to another room.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Someone on FB posted there was only 784 people on their cruise!  That's a ghost ship. 

That depends on the size of the ship. We did a British Isles cruise on the former Ocean Princess, a ship with a capacity of under 700. There are even smaller ships.

4 hours ago, PSU2LSU said:

Yes I should have worded it differently.  But the purpose of Carnival putting that promo code in was to keep capacity down.  I see no other reason to limit the special offer to two guests.  It was cheaper for me to pay 2x the rate and leave the room empty then just to add a 3rd person to another room.  

In the same exact boat. Three cabins are lower than two for the five of us. This actually prevented me from pulling the trigger on a December cruise that works perfect for us. Probably a good thing as it has allowed us to reassess if we actually want to travel under the current conditions. With this new omicron and all it's unknowns and uncertainty, it's 95% tilted to just holding off until spring and then reassessing again. 

20 hours ago, Fireworks77 said:

occupancy is calculated on cabins able to accommodate 3-4 pax.

Perhaps you meant to say the total percentage of occupancy is calculated using the total number of passenger berths on the ship including 3rd and 4th berths? 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, Buckeye_Siggy said:

I am on the same cruise as you and was wondering the same thing earlier this morning.

i checked the carnival page in an incognito window and they would not allow me to even check a room for that specific cruise. This leads me to believe it is sold out and 100% capacity. I have heard from others that they have been on sold out cruises in the last month or so. So i cannot imagine they are holding back chances to sell more.   See you on board!

There sold out rate is about 75%

On 12/3/2021 at 6:53 AM, PSU2LSU said:

I have a cruise booked for 12/26 on the Pride, and they let me put 4 in one room.  It's a balcony room, one of very few on the ship with capacity of 4.  (I've got a 2 person room right next door as well).   Maybe it is ship by ship?  That's crazy that 5 of you had to get 3 rooms!!!!

36 minutes ago, Domergirl said:

I have a cruise booked for 12/26 on the Pride, and they let me put 4 in one room.  It's a balcony room, one of very few on the ship with capacity of 4.  (I've got a 2 person room right next door as well).   Maybe it is ship by ship?  That's crazy that 5 of you had to get 3 rooms!!!!

They later replied it was cheaper that way due to promo only applying to first two pax in cabin. They could of booked more in the room, just costlier.