Ordering Covid tests

Do not order unless you intend to use them immediately. The set I ordered were already expired and only considered good if used within the next three months of the expiration. Not sure how they get away with selling expired products...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

Do not order unless you intend to use them immediately. The set I ordered were already expired and only considered good if used within the next three months of the expiration. Not sure how they get away with selling expired products...

Expiration dates on many items are calculated in a way, that is not really an expiration.  All medicines for example usually have a 1 year date.  People eat cheese years after it expires....it is just "aged". 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

I bought my first set from Optum in September to use for a late November cruise.  Our test days for that cruise were Thanksgiving and Black Friday so we really needed them.  The Exp Date on the label was late September which really ticked me off.  Why sell a test that expired in a few weeks?!?

Turned out a bunch of lot #s were extended to the end of the year.  I think you can find the list on the Optum and/or emed sites.

BTW, testing online in the wee hours of Thanksgiving Day worked like a charm.  We'll continue to use them going forward rather than having to hunt for a store test site.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

They successfully demonstrated to the FDA that the shelf-life of the tests was at least 3 months longer than initially anticipated and the FDA granted an extension allowing the tests to be valid for 3 months after the initially listed expiration date.  They're therefore NOT expired.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think the difference is optum sells 2 pack for $70, 3 pack for $99 and emed sells 6 pack for $150.

I just ordered 3 pack from optum on friday afternoon and tracking says should arrive by 12.21.   Only the 2 of us but ordered 1 extra just incase.

Please report back what the dates are on your tests.  I’ve seen a post that said the ones they just bought had a manufacturer date of December 2021 so he said they’d used up the older test kits.  Hope that is the case because I’d like my test kits to get me through a couple of cruises…

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Please report back what the dates are on your tests.  I’ve seen a post that said the ones they just bought had a manufacturer date of December 2021 so he said they’d used up the older test kits.  Hope that is the case because I’d like my test kits to get me through a couple of cruises…

I received a set of 2 last week, and they have an (extended) expiration date of February 2022.

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Just received our test kits and they all have exp date of 10.22🤩

• Like 2

We are scheduled to sail/depart on Sunday, 1/2/22. We had our rapid tests done at CVS before our cruise in November. Easy peasy. Of course our luck with the holiday. CVS is not offering testing on 12/31.

There are 4 of us sailing on this trip. Spouse order a 6 pack of tests. Can we all 4 be on the call to go through the testing? Not sure what is required but hopefully those of you who have done this at home can talk me through how the tests being monitored works, receipt of results timing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

No, you can’t all four be on the same call.  Everyone taking the test needs to set up a Navica account.  Then after one person has taken the test and gotten the results they need to log out and another person will log in.  Of course all four of you could take the test simultaneously on four separate devices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baileybrad said:

We are scheduled to sail/depart on Sunday, 1/2/22. We had our rapid tests done at CVS before our cruise in November. Easy peasy. Of course our luck with the holiday. CVS is not offering testing on 12/31.

There are 4 of us sailing on this trip. Spouse order a 6 pack of tests. Can we all 4 be on the call to go through the testing? Not sure what is required but hopefully those of you who have done this at home can talk me through how the tests being monitored works, receipt of results timing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Each person has to have an account set up in the NAVICA app.  You cannot do more than one test with a proctor, so it you will be making 4 different calls. 

Do not open the kits until instructed to do so.  Once you are ready to test log on to www.Emed.com and a live proctor will come on and walk you through the test.

Once completed you will have you results in your NAVICA app as well as your email in less than 5 min, which you can print out or just keep on your phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

No, you can’t all four be on the same call.  Everyone taking the test needs to set up a Navica account.  Then after one person has taken the test and gotten the results they need to log out and another person will log in.  Of course all four of you could take the test simultaneously on four separate devices.

Thank you for the helpful information, much appreciated.

13 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Each person has to have an account set up in the NAVICA app.  You cannot do more than one test with a proctor, so it you will be making 4 different calls. 

Do not open the kits until instructed to do so.  Once you are ready to test log on to www.Emed.com and a live proctor will come on and walk you through the test.

Once completed you will have you results in your NAVICA app as well as your email in less than 5 min, which you can print out or just keep on your phone.

Appreciate the very helpful response.

35 minutes ago, baileybrad said:

Thanks in advance.

Good answers posted above.

I'll add that you can create a Navica account NOW and logon to emed.com to get an idea of how the process works. 

To create an account:

Go to emed.com

Click "Start Testing"

Enter your state

Then you'll see the "Login with Navica" option, along with the "Create an account" option

After creating an account, you can go through the same steps and actually login.  You'll be presented with a survey that starts out like this.  When you're ready to actually test, you answer the questions, and off you go. 

image.png.8fbe3e2ca393d5f8ae49d52e92027ac3.png

• Like 1

I’m so non tech savvy…and we had a six pack (no, not that kind) that would expire after our cruise so we both took a test as a dry run.  I just wanted to be at ease with the process as we would be taking it early in the morning of the day we’d drive to Florida.  It sounds much more complicated than it is!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I’m so non tech savvy…and we had a six pack (no, not that kind) that would expire after our cruise so we both took a test as a dry run.  I just wanted to be at ease with the process as we would be taking it early in the morning of the day we’d drive to Florida.  It sounds much more complicated than it is!

I agree, it sounded so complicated, but was so easy.