Your College Bowl Game will not be shown by Royal.

link99

Original poster may be a little over the top but when you're watching a game it's not fun to have the channel changed midgame and worth a normal font vent. 

I'm looking forward to watching some games at Playmakers on the Oasis this week.  I've cruised many spring breaks in March and have had a blast with my family watching NCAA tournament games.  It's a great way to make easy conversation with fellow cruisers.  An awesome Duke-UCF NCAA basketball game in 2019 we watched on a cruise with fun cruisers is memory that often pops up when we talk about our past cruises.

14 hours ago, link99 said:

Just off the Dec 20 2021 Independence Sailing. On Thursday Dec 23,2021 the UCF vs UF game was on in Playmakers. A large crowd had gathered to watch the game. Fans from both side were there cheering on their team.

As the game went into commercial break just before 8pm the TV’s were switched over to the NFL Network. 

All the fans began questioning what was going on. We were told that the Ship has no control over what games are played in Playmakers,and it would not be put back on.  

Quite a few of us went to guest services and complained. The top dog in guest services came out and talk to each of us and said that the games are controlled by the satellite provider of the ships,and that the game would be replayed at 10:30pm. If we did not want to know who won don’t look for the score before then. That was the end of it. The game was never put back on.  

The only positive thing I can say about this is, I had Paid for the additional Stream on top of My Diamond Plus discount and was able to stream the game on the ESPN app through my cable service provider.  Another person I talked with was trying to stream the game but only had the Surf package and could not stream the game. So on that note the Surf and Stream works and does what it is supposed to.

Bottom line Do Not count on Royal Carribean to stream your Bowl Game or any non NFL game.The NFL will always over ride any collage bowl games. 

I am anxiously awaiting my survey. You can count on a Big Fat Zero for guest services and Playmakers. 

Maybe then someone will look at this and say how stupid it is that the ship can’t control what games the passengers want to watch instead of someone sitting in NY saying this is what you get to see like it or not.
You made quite a few football fans unhappy Royal. Not Cool,Not cool at all Royal Carribean.

The better team won.  But yeah, that would be disappointing.

3 hours ago, golf4me2010 said:

I’ll be on Allure for the national championship game. Assume will find it somewhere. If not, oh well.

Do note that the issue was with a conflict with NFL games.  I don't really see any nfl games being rescheduled to cover the 3 championship games.  Could happen, I suppose. 

Whenever it comes down to which games are displayed there will always be happy fans and unhappy fans.  They can't please everyone.  

You did the right thing by streaming the sports you wanted to watch.  I've done that for years because my team(s) and my sport(s) aren't always the big matches that the TV folks want to broadcast.   

Just the way it is.

For some reason every RCI ship has their own TV/satellite contract, at least when it comes to sports. When when we were on Odyssey earlier this year, they only showed two NFL games at both 1 PM and 4 PM. However, when we were on Freedom both before and after our cruise on Odyssey, every NFL game was shown in Playmakers. When I talked to the Playmakers Manager on Odyssey about this issue, he said he would look into it. The next day (Monday) he contacted me and said some ships like Freedom have NFL Sunday Ticket while other ships like Odyssey don’t have NFL Sunday Ticket. Doesn’t make much sense to me that all ships don’t have the same sports programming. I know when we were on Navigator and Mariner in the Fall of 2019 they showed every NFL game in Playmakers. 

HOTS didn't show Army/Navy which is a huge game to the many veterans who cruise regularly.  Jeff Arpin was the CD and he mentioned on his morning show the day of that he was still looking into it.  That's a game that should have been shown in the Aqua Theater.  I think they just literally let it fall through the cracks due to the many other issues they were dealing with.  Plus Jeff was a temp fill in (for three weeks) and the regular CD  is Italian and probably had no clue about that game before he left for emergency leave back home.

21 hours ago, link99 said:

Just off the Dec 20 2021 Independence Sailing. On Thursday Dec 23,2021 the UCF vs UF game was on in Playmakers. A large crowd had gathered to watch the game. Fans from both side were there cheering on their team.

As the game went into commercial break just before 8pm the TV’s were switched over to the NFL Network. 

All the fans began questioning what was going on. We were told that the Ship has no control over what games are played in Playmakers,and it would not be put back on.  

Quite a few of us went to guest services and complained. The top dog in guest services came out and talk to each of us and said that the games are controlled by the satellite provider of the ships,and that the game would be replayed at 10:30pm. If we did not want to know who won don’t look for the score before then. That was the end of it. The game was never put back on.  

The only positive thing I can say about this is, I had Paid for the additional Stream on top of My Diamond Plus discount and was able to stream the game on the ESPN app through my cable service provider.  Another person I talked with was trying to stream the game but only had the Surf package and could not stream the game. So on that note the Surf and Stream works and does what it is supposed to.

Bottom line Do Not count on Royal Carribean to stream your Bowl Game or any non NFL game.The NFL will always over ride any collage bowl games. 

I am anxiously awaiting my survey. You can count on a Big Fat Zero for guest services and Playmakers. 

Maybe then someone will look at this and say how stupid it is that the ship can’t control what games the passengers want to watch instead of someone sitting in NY saying this is what you get to see like it or not.
You made quite a few football fans unhappy Royal. Not Cool,Not cool at all Royal Carribean.

Yikes I’d hate to see how you handle a real life problem!  Get a grip.  As to punishment with a big fat zero for something out of the control of guest services and playmakers, not cool link99, not cool.  Says a lot about you though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JollyDad said:

I agree with the original poster.  This is silly.  It is not a random TV in a random bar that the game was on, it is an establishment claiming it is a SPORTS BAR.  You don't change the channel when fans are watching the game.  Unfortunately, sports fans didn't make their satellite rules.

It's too bad you couldn't cast the game from your device to the screen in playmakers.

ABSOLUTELY it should be on and I bet it can be done and they should figure out how. Every effort should be made to show bowl games and the CFP games.  This only goes on thru Jan 10. This shouldn't bump too many soccer games....🙄 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

ABSOLUTELY it should be on and I bet it can be done and they should figure out how. Every effort should be made to show bowl games and the CFP games.  This only goes on thru Jan 10. This shouldn't bump too many soccer games....🙄 

Satellite at sea is VERY expensive and they cannot please everyone by buying everything available.  It's not like your cable package at home at all.  There are packages with certain networks available only.  Satellite at sea just does not work the way you think it does.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BND said:

Satellite at sea is VERY expensive and they cannot please everyone by buying everything available.  It's not like your cable package at home at all.  There are packages with certain networks available only.  Satellite at sea just does not work the way you think it does.

I am sure it is expensive. I understand that. But I find it strange if they were worried about Cost why would they Play the Same game over and over. As an example, the Gators vs Missouri  game was on every single time we went  into Playmakers. It was like Groundhog Day.

Like others have said,I think Indy pays for a package and thats what they get some new games and lots of repeats.

Edited by link99
Spelling

I just sailed the Oasis in Sept and Oct, and the Symphony in Dec.   They all had 4 different ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, SECN and ESPNU).   Whatever games were on those channels, one could watch in their own cabin as well as Playmakers.   Even on Thursday Night, they showed both the college game AND the NFL game.   Sounds like they just didn't care or that ship's satellite is weak.

28 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

I just sailed the Oasis in Sept and Oct, and the Symphony in Dec.   They all had 4 different ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, SECN and ESPNU).   Whatever games were on those channels, one could watch in their own cabin as well as Playmakers.   Even on Thursday Night, they showed both the college game AND the NFL game.   Sounds like they just didn't care or that ship's satellite is weak.

The same was available on IOS. One excuse they used was we can’t control ESPN. We then pointed to the tv and said it is NFL network clearly labeled on the Screen. I agree they did not care as they were getting ready to take a hit to the Beverage Budget. Playmakers was packed.

Edited by link99

so much BS and I will probably get another naughty gram cuz some here got their feelings hurt. If I can stream a game because I have a $20 a month internet streaming package you would think a multi BILLION, B BILLION$, not M $million$, $B capitol$ B$ BILLION$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ corporation just might be able to show the sports people might want to see. 

My last cruise on the $$$$$BILLION dollar Harmony of the Seas was Nove 28th - Dec 5th. Do you thonk they shows the Alabama vs Georgia game on A single damn TV any on the ship?? $$$$$$$BILLION DOLLAR SHIP and I watched it on their $15 a day internet package. 

Really don't understand how RCCL can show EVERY other game that day but not the biggest game of the day. But I have grown to understand how damn(not the F word cuz I might get reported for hate crimes or some other b something.) stupid it is not watch significant events on RCCL. Good thing they are opening sports bars to show rugby and cricket. STUPID STUPID STUPID decisions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

so much BS and I will probably get another naughty gram cuz some here got their feelings hurt. If I can stream a game because I have a $20 a month internet streaming package you would think a multi BILLION, B BILLION$, not M $million$, $B capitol$ B$ BILLION$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ corporation just might be able to show the sports people might want to see. 

My last cruise on the $$$$$BILLION dollar Harmony of the Seas was Nove 28th - Dec 5th. Do you thonk they shows the Alabama vs Georgia game on A single damn TV any on the ship?? $$$$$$$BILLION DOLLAR SHIP and I watched it on their $15 a day internet package. 

Really don't understand how RCCL can show EVERY other game that day but not the biggest game of the day. But I have grown to understand how damn(not the F word cuz I might get reported for hate crimes or some other b something.) stupid it is not watch significant events on RCCL. Good thing they are opening sports bars to show rugby and cricket. STUPID STUPID STUPID decisions. 

There is help for this type of anger.  It’s not healthy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

There is help for this type of anger.  It’s not healthy.

Maybe I should just wear a mask and shut up? You get scared of facts? RCL is a BILLION dollar corporation and I was on a ship that costs over a BILLION dollars yet it could not afford one of the most important games of the college football season late in the season the last week before conference playoffs started but with my $14 internet package I could watch it on my device. You are either ignorant of college football or you you suck the Royal something or other. you decide. I'm definitely not angry. 

6 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Maybe I should just wear a mask and shut up? You get scared of facts? RCL is a BILLION dollar corporation and I was on a ship that costs over a BILLION dollars yet it could not afford one of the most important games of the college football season late in the season the last week before conference playoffs started but with my $14 internet package I could watch it on my device. You are either ignorant of college football or you you suck the Royal something or other. you decide. I'm definitely not angry. 

Rest well 

Zero for Guest Services and Playmakers on the survey is not likely to get you any satisfaction.  As they expalined Guest Services and Playmakers have no control over the package. Satellite is contracted out.  You should write to corporate. They buy the service. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

And your point in re-posting??

When I first replied  I was trying to quote part of the post but there was a hiccup. The idiotic large text I think caused it. Scroll back and you will see my post edited without the quote. You simply answerd to fast...... before my edit was posted. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:09 PM, link99 said:

That’s to keep obnoxious people from strong arming the barkeep into switching to meaningless  college games. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

When I first replied  I was trying to quote part of the post but there was a hiccup. The idiotic large text I think caused it. Scroll back and you will see my post edited without the quote. You simply answerd to fast...... before my edit was posted. 

Got it, been there and done that 🙂