Allure of the Seas turned away in St Thomas

tohono

4 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Out of interest why haven't they reopened Labadee?

Unsafe?

Not made ready after prolonged closure?

Disagreements with Haiti?

Covid?

Last I heard local Haitians took over labadee and are living there.  Heard the area is quite a mess.  No idea if Royal will be back anytime soon.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Hear the shower is slightly larger and will definitely enjoy the larger balcony.

Yes, the shower was nice. The only downside we experienced is the iffy WiFi connection - the Library was a good/close alternative.

Biker, who worked online 5 days during the sailing and needed reliable internet.

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

For some I guess it's fine,  but to spend that much money for what you are getting just not anywhere worth it. Plus service is declining on the cruise ships at this time because of crew shortages.

Thanks for your opinion. It appears you have quite a few that you are sharing.

Perhaps let others make their own decisions. 

Making assumptions about masking of crew without any facts to back up your opinion is spreading confusion and fear mongering. I look forward to the cruise on 12/30 as we haven't been able to go anywhere in 2 years. We've gotten boosted covid and flu shots, will be masking where we have to , and use our head to ensure we remain as healthy as possible.

I'm not thrilled that our ports were changed, and it could be a disappointment to not have the ports we have scheduled. However with -30C temps, and a very stressful last 2 years, this trip is greatly anticipated and needed.

It's worth every penny and then some!

Edited by lochivan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, the shower was nice. The only downside we experienced is the iffy WiFi connection - the Library was a good/close alternative.

Biker, who worked online 5 days during the sailing and needed reliable internet.

We also work online when cruising.  Prefer to do in cabin or on balcony but will adapt and take labtop wherever I have to but need a view while working onboard 🤩

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes I know she lives in Florida.  I also don't have to sail on an Oasis class ship to see a Broadway Play or walk through Central Park. My point was if you are only looking for the on board experience of being waited on, not having to cook or clean and are happy sitting on a balcony or by the pool it's just not the same as staying home.

The sand on the Long Island beaches is better than some of the sand in Florida or the Caribbean and you don't cut up your foot on the jagged coral.

Love LBI but also love many different beaches in caribbean and hopefully our anthem sailing in january will be better than what is happening now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tohono said:

St Kitts was cancelled as well. The last day is now a perfect day at Coco Cay. One last chance, on top of captive passengers drinking and gambling, for Royal Caribbean to make a cash grab on this cruise.  As a stockholder in the company, I am embarrassed at RC’s response.  I understand that customers should show understanding and flexibility in these times.  But Royal’s response is business as usual, make as much as possible.  

I'm thinking Royals response is about right given the threat level the omnicron has proven. Each party boarding is aware of, and has options to take prior to getting on board. I personally would never book during the Holidays but for other reasons than personal safety issues. Each individual should now have the right to decide what they need to do for their own personal comfort and safety. If I had to make a choice right now, knowing what has transpired aboard the ships that have had the less than 1% "outbreaks" I'd still get onboard but that's for me to decide.

We are aboard the Allure right now. Yesterday they announced that excursions for Coco would open at noon today. Well at noon, the entire system crashed. The app, RCL’s excursion desk computer, everything. Really stupid to have everyone log in at the same moment. A rookie mistake. 200 people immediately lined up at the excursions desk. Nice move RCL during Covid. Then they announced 30 minutes later that within an hour, it would be fixed and they would make another announcement. More crashes and then all of the decent (but still overpriced) excursions were gone (even before they became available to book, they showed as sold out). The one thing that RCL is good at is handling things badly when something goes wrong. People willing to cruise during a pandemic are among RCLs most loyal customers. Not pretty at all. They did refund 1/7 of the cruise fare (approximately) for the lost day at St. Thomas. By sticking in Coco in lieu of St Kitts, they avoided a second refund and created a revenue opportunity. I can’t speak for other passengers, but I specifically chose this itinerary because I didn’t want to go to Coco. Based on the Omicron situation, I’m really tempted to buy some put options on this stock. I doubt that most investors know how much badwill is being created right now. Covid isn’t RCLs fault, but how they handle goodwill efforts will determine RCLs recovery. I hope you are reading this RCL! Lastly, I’d be remiss if I didn’t say how wonderful the “enlisted” staff have been under very difficult times. They all have to wear KN95 and double masks all day long and still work and be nice. I’ve done that a few times, and it is really hard to breath with an N95 or KN95 on. We are going to be recognizing them with generous cash tips and named recognition in their cruise comments (by name). I will post an update at some point if RCL decides to do the right thing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tohono said:

They have compensated us for port charges.  I posted this to make you aware that cruise ports are denying entry to ships that have COVID cases exceeding their limits.  The cruise continues on. Music, dining, and shows are as planned.  Just port visits are cancelled.  

I personally feel that RCL should be a little more transparent with us passengers.  The passengers are showing all the flexibility that we can.  

Tohono, was St Maarten one of your ports? I am on Allure 1/8/22 and St Thomas/StMaarten/St kitts is the reason I chose that cruise. Like a fool I paid a less then 30 day notice -non refundable excursion on St Maarten. I have done the excursion before and loved it but didn't even think to look at the refund policy. If we don't dock they  refund.

Coco Cay instead of any of those ports is not a good exchange! LOL

Are they telling you how many positives are on board? I wonder if it is crew members are they offboarded and quarantined on land?

thanks for any info

Trish

On Odessey right now. Just finishing up our day at Coco Cay. I have to say it was pretty awesome even with Oasis here as well. To each his own I guess. We're scheduled for St Thomas and PR the rest of the week. I'd be ok coming back here tbh.  Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

20211227_143106.jpg

20211227_105341.jpg

20211227_134527.jpg

Edited by whitshel

22 hours ago, tohono said:

St Kitts was cancelled as well. The last day is now a perfect day at Coco Cay. One last chance, on top of captive passengers drinking and gambling, for Royal Caribbean to make a cash grab on this cruise.  As a stockholder in the company, I am embarrassed at RC’s response.  I understand that customers should show understanding and flexibility in these times.  But Royal’s response is business as usual, make as much as possible.  

As a customer, yeah, you should be disappointed. As a stockholder, unfortunately you should be pleased as punch with the response. They are digging out of a two-year financial nightmare of a hole.

BTW, anybody (even me, with a scheduled cruise in March) who gets on a cruise ship for the forseeable future should be happy enough with keeping "feet wet" for the entire cruise. I'm totally okay with that.  If you're not okay with that, then reconsider cruising as an option.

• Like 4