Allure of the Seas turned away in St Thomas

tohono

I am pretty sure the cruise line needs to award sone credit for missed ports because they have charged passengers for port charges they will not be paying.  A few years ago on NCL we missed Nassau because of Hurricane damage and we got a cabin credit.   

9 hours ago, island lady said:

I am not worried at all.  Just curious as to how they will handle it.  All I am concerned about is just getting on the ship.  Then whatever happens...eh...happens.  I am already on board then...let the ship chips fall where they may.  😉 

Airline?  No worries for me...takes me 20 minutes to drive to the port from my house.  😄  

Why bother, cancel both cruises,  get  your money back.  Drive to the beach, take a chair, an ice chest with some alcohol and look at the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tohono said:

We arrived in Nassau late.  Sadly a passenger passed away between Ft Lauderdale and Nassau.  Condolences to the family.  

Port excursions were totally screwed up.  And after visiting Nassau many times, I still think it is best to avoid Nassau or stay on the ship.  

Today, St Thomas was cancelled due to COVID concerns.  I seriously doubt at this point we will visit St Kitts.  Nothing is being offered as compensation.  

I love to cruise as much as anyone else, and a cruise is still a vacation.   But being stuck at sea for 6 days with no ports is a little underwhelming.  

Called it yesterday...ports will start closing...

35 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

On Allure compensation has been posted to your on board account.  One days cost refunded as refundable credit. Plus port taxes and fees.

Passenger count posted in this thread was pre-last minute cancellations, which were a little over 1k.

1000 people cancelled last minute? Not good for the stock...

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

On Allure compensation has been posted to your on board account.  One days cost refunded as refundable credit. Plus port taxes and fees.

Passenger count posted in this thread was pre-last minute cancellations, which were a little over 1k.

So cruisegus, are you saying that you're currently a passenger on the Allure and this is what the ship is now offering you as compensation for not being able to dock at two of the islands? What about St. Marteen, and was Coco cay mentioned too from another post? Anything else to pass along? If I read right 1000 people have cancelled their booking on the Allure since this thread began? Please help fill in the blanks. We're supposed to be sailing on 1/8/22 and following this closely with those that are on the Allure and those who are booked the same date as we are or the week after us. Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

In those 1000 cancellations are people who tested positive at home or had flights cancelled from covid related staffing shortages.

For sure Jasukkie or are you questioning if that's the reason for the 1000 cancellations. Just curious.  I'm expecting the CDC and or RCI to give a statement this week.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

For sure Jasukkie or are you questioning if that's the reason for the 1000 cancellations. Just curious.  I'm expecting the CDC and or RCI to give a statement this week.

No, just making the point some unknown percentage were not voluntary cancellations. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

In no order:

1) Covid concerns/health

2) Covid concern of missing ports/entertainment

3) flight issues?

4) missing vaccination documentation at port

5) missing covid test documentation at port

6) "classic reasons" such as illness or death in family

15 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sure how RCI will handle the lack of ports we can go to.  At some point they will HAVE to go to at least one foreign port, or will be at issue with the PVSA rule.  

Wonder if they will use Coco Cay as a "bubble" port possibility if the Bahamas government allows that exception?  The island is still owned by the Bahamians...RCI just leases it.  

May have to go back to tendering if too many ships use it.  😉 

Per the last filed 10-K (annual report) for period ending December 31, 2020, the wording used regarding CocoCay is:

We also operate two private destinations which we utilize as ports-of-call on certain itineraries: (i) an island we own in the Bahamas which we call CocoCay; and (ii) Labadee, a secluded peninsula that we lease on the north coast of Haiti.

The wording used for these filings with the government have to be accurate.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've read that Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) in the Dominican Republic is accepting cruise ships. That stop and the Bahamas might be the only available ports available in the Caribbean for a while. 

I don't understand why my January 22 Allure sail rescheduled from Puerto Plata to Nassau.  

53 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don't understand why my January 22 Allure sail rescheduled from Puerto Plata to Nassau.  

We'll be on that cruise as well. Were doing a B2B from the week before. (Hopefully). They have canceled the DR. stop due to the fact that the port renovations are not completed yet. As such they can't dock, so Nassau instead. Check your cruise planner for the "updated" cruises itinerary & port times. 

See you in a few weeks. Can't wait.

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

Per the last filed 10-K (annual report) for period ending December 31, 2020, the wording used regarding CocoCay is:

We also operate two private destinations which we utilize as ports-of-call on certain itineraries: (i) an island we own in the Bahamas which we call CocoCay; and (ii) Labadee, a secluded peninsula that we lease on the north coast of Haiti.

Unfortunately, Labadee isn't an option now.

We’re on Allure now.  As others previously stated we skipped St. Thomas yesterday and are skipping St. Kitts today.  We were told yesterday that this was the result of the global uptick in cases.  However, we know other ships scheduled into St. Thomas were in port yesterday.  When we asked Guest Services about this they said that was due to those ships being there early.  When asked about number of cases on board, getting conflicting answers. Once we were told confidential information.  Another time that no confirmed cases.   Just wish they’d be honest.  We knew this was a potential outcome coming on board.  Show us the respect and communicate accurate information.  Then we can decide if we want to be out and about or stay in our cabin.  Since yesterday, majority of crew wearing N95 often with another mask over.  Take from that what you want.  The crew who serves us is great, trying their best.  We’re on our way to Cocco Cay now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We’re on Allure now.  As others previously stated we skipped St. Thomas yesterday and are skipping St. Kitts today.  We were told yesterday that this was the result of the global uptick in cases.  However, we know other ships scheduled into St. Thomas were in port yesterday.  When we asked Guest Services about this they said that was due to those ships being there early.  When asked about number of cases on board, getting conflicting answers. Once we were told confidential information.  Another time that no confirmed cases.   Just wish they’d be honest.  We knew this was a potential outcome coming on board.  Show us the respect and communicate accurate information.  Then we can decide if we want to be out and about or stay in our cabin.  Since yesterday, majority of crew wearing N95 often with another mask over.  Take from that what you want.  The crew who serves us is great, trying their best.  We’re on our way to Cocco Cay now.

Was St. Mareteen also mentioned as a replacement stop in lieu of the other cancelled islands Airbear232 ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Really?  How often do you read things pertaining to RCI on their website that is not exactly accurate?  

CocoCay

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
CocoCay
Little Stirrup Cay
Island
CocoCay
CocoCay
CocoCay is located in Bahamas
CocoCay
CocoCay

Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png25°49′N 77°56′WCoordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png25°49′N 77°56′W
Country 23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas
Island Little Stirrup Cay
District Badge of the Berry Islands.jpg Berry Islands
Population
 (2010)
 • Total 38
Time zone UTC-5 (Eastern Time Zone)
Area code(s) 242

CocoCay or Little Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, is one of the Berry Islands, a collection of cays and small islands, and is located approximately 55 miles north of Nassau.[1] It is used for tourism by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd exclusively. Little Stirrup Cay is adjacent to Great Stirrup Cay, Norwegian Cruises' private island since 1977.

Description[edit]

The island is less than a mile (1.57 kilometer) long from east to west and less than 480 yards (.43 kilometer) from north to south. It has a population of 38. (2010 census)[2]

In 2019, the island was extensively renovated by Royal Caribbean at the cost of $250 million USD. A pier was constructed on the north side of the island, which allows cruise ships to dock directly instead of using tenders. The east end is the center of recreational activities with beaches fronting a coral basin where manatee, rays, and numerous fish can be seen. Nature trails run the entire length and width of the island. The renovation also included a water park, with North America’s largest and tallest water slide, Daredevil’s Peak.

Tourism[edit]

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises in 1988[3] and renamed it Coco Cay in 2018.[4]

Climate

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Really?  How often do you read things pertaining to RCI on their website that is not exactly accurate?  

CocoCay

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
CocoCay
Little Stirrup Cay
Island
CocoCay
CocoCay
CocoCay is located in Bahamas
CocoCay
CocoCay

Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png25°49′N 77°56′WCoordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png25°49′N 77°56′W
Country 23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas
Island Little Stirrup Cay
District Badge of the Berry Islands.jpg Berry Islands
Population
 (2010)
 • Total 38
Time zone UTC-5 (Eastern Time Zone)
Area code(s) 242

CocoCay or Little Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, is one of the Berry Islands, a collection of cays and small islands, and is located approximately 55 miles north of Nassau.[1] It is used for tourism by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd exclusively. Little Stirrup Cay is adjacent to Great Stirrup Cay, Norwegian Cruises' private island since 1977.

Description[edit]

The island is less than a mile (1.57 kilometer) long from east to west and less than 480 yards (.43 kilometer) from north to south. It has a population of 38. (2010 census)[2]

In 2019, the island was extensively renovated by Royal Caribbean at the cost of $250 million USD. A pier was constructed on the north side of the island, which allows cruise ships to dock directly instead of using tenders. The east end is the center of recreational activities with beaches fronting a coral basin where manatee, rays, and numerous fish can be seen. Nature trails run the entire length and width of the island. The renovation also included a water park, with North America’s largest and tallest water slide, Daredevil’s Peak.

Tourism[edit]

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises in 1988[3] and renamed it Coco Cay in 2018.[4]

Climate

Let's see how soon RCI and / or the CDC takes to put out an updated message as things continue to get more serious.

• Like 1

I think the point of the post is you can own or lease an island but still have to follow government rules, unless you are your own country.  Or have a very creative lease agreement- a truly free port.  Which the cruise lines/shipping companies should find a way to have someplace- then they could go ashore and swap crews no matter what.  This would be challenging to set up under US law- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, etc.  

If I ran the Bahamas I would set this up- in return for a nice stream of revenue to the government, an island/port/area could "independent" in terms of ports and flights.  

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Serious investors always consult Wikipedia, Reddit and Twitter for 'facts'. Consulting an SEC 10K is for amateurs.  😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Let's see how soon RCI and / or the CDC takes to put out an updated message as things continue to get more serious.

There is a reason the ships have to wait for clearance by the Bahamian government when we dock at Coco Cay.  Maybe I am one of the only people that gets up that early...to see the Bahamian agents walk onto the ship. 😉 It is still owned by the Bahamian government...RCI leases it.    

The decision will ultimately then be in the hands of that country.  Though from what I am seeing ships are still going to Nassau.  So far anyway.  Major construction at the docking piers and terminal  however, may turn some ships around on various days.  

It is beautiful and very modern what they are building there...and obviously a lot of cash involved.  😮 

A huge investment.