Allure of the Seas turned away in St Thomas

tohono

37 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Since yesterday, majority of crew wearing N95 often with another mask over.  Take from that what you want.  

I think the whole fleet got orders to double mask the crew o/a 12/18 (the day after the Symphony outbreak).

14 hours ago, Deez123 said:

Per OP "Nothing is being offer for compensation"

I was on Harmony last week.   Skipped Costa Maya; never a word about refunding port charges.  RCL doesn't care.  Passengers have no rights; you sign them away when boarding.

Any covid  cases on Harmony?

14 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

The OP was talking about compensation which is different. I have always had port charges refunded on final statement without any notification.

I don’t see why that would have changed.

Depends on what your port charges were at time of final payment. You might not see any refund if your invoice at final for port fees/taxes was, say, $100 but at the time of sailing the true port fees/taxes was $120 and you missed one port with $18 in fees you would not get the refund as so are already paying less than actuals. After final payment, no further repricing, they will not send you a new invoice if the port fees/taxes go up. Conversely, if port fees/taxes go down you will get a small refund to your onboard account sometime during your cruise, even if you do not miss any ports. Had this happen many times on Royal, HAL, Princess, Carnival.

58 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We’re on Allure now.  As others previously stated we skipped St. Thomas yesterday and are skipping St. Kitts today.  We were told yesterday that this was the result of the global uptick in cases.  However, we know other ships scheduled into St. Thomas were in port yesterday.  When we asked Guest Services about this they said that was due to those ships being there early.  When asked about number of cases on board, getting conflicting answers. Once we were told confidential information.  Another time that no confirmed cases.   Just wish they’d be honest.  We knew this was a potential outcome coming on board.  Show us the respect and communicate accurate information.  Then we can decide if we want to be out and about or stay in our cabin.  Since yesterday, majority of crew wearing N95 often with another mask over.  Take from that what you want.  The crew who serves us is great, trying their best.  We’re on our way to Cocco Cay now.

I think that tells you just how bad it is on the ship, the crew is double masking? Think I would stay in my cabin as much as possible for the extend of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

They have compensated us for port charges.  I posted this to make you aware that cruise ports are denying entry to ships that have COVID cases exceeding their limits.  The cruise continues on. Music, dining, and shows are as planned.  Just port visits are cancelled.  

I personally feel that RCL should be a little more transparent with us passengers.  The passengers are showing all the flexibility that we can.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, the paranoid (or conspiracy theorists) would right away jump to that conclusion.

Not much going on around the ship anyway, so how much are you really missing anyway. Here's hoping you got a nice cabin to enjoy your time in. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tohono said:

St Kitts was cancelled as well. The last day is now a perfect day at Coco Cay. One last chance, on top of captive passengers drinking and gambling, for Royal Caribbean to make a cash grab on this cruise.  As a stockholder in the company, I am embarrassed at RC’s response.  I understand that customers should show understanding and flexibility in these times.  But Royal’s response is business as usual, make as much as possible.  

If it makes you feel better they are probably losing money from those with drink packages and UDP. What else is there to do but eat and drink?

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why bother, cancel both cruises,  get  your money back.  Drive to the beach, take a chair, an ice chest with some alcohol and look at the ocean.

As someone who lives on an island and has a choice of the Long Island Sound or the Atlantic Ocean within a 20 minute drive it's just not the same if you just want the on board experience.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

As someone who lives on an island and has a choice of the Long Island Sound or the Atlantic Ocean within a 20 minute drive it's just not the same if you just want the on board experience.  

She lives in Florida, I wouldn't even consider Long Island Sound as an Ocean, no waves.

BTW there is no onboard experience at the current time when she is sailing, everthing onboard is greatly reduced beside drinking and eating, which she could do in Florida for less money.

My wife is from West Haven, CT..........she used to show me the beach when we visited the in-laws........I said a beach to me from living in NJ is Long Beach Island where they actually have waves and real sand. The sand is West Haven was like stones/gravel in dirt for what they called the beach.lol

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sure how RCI will handle the lack of ports we can go to.  At some point they will HAVE to go to at least one foreign port, or will be at issue with the PVSA rule.  

Wonder if they will use Coco Cay as a "bubble" port possibility if the Bahamas government allows that exception?  The island is still owned by the Bahamians...RCI just leases it.  

May have to go back to tendering if too many ships use it.  😉 

All last summer from the UK  the cruise lines only had cruises to nowhere or UK ports only. But that's what was sold so no loss of expectation. But we also had no production shows due to the show staff isolating. They did lay on extra headliner acts though.

The cruise ships being turned away from Caribbean ports and high numbers of covid cases is now making the news over here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

She lives in Florida, I wouldn't even consider Long Island Sound as an Ocean, no waves.

My wife is from West Haven, CT..........she used to show me the beach when we visited the in-laws........I said a beach to me from living in NJ is Long Beach Island where they actually have waves and real sand. The sand is West Haven was like stones/gravel in dirt for what they called the beach.lol

Yes I know she lives in Florida.  I also don't have to sail on an Oasis class ship to see a Broadway Play or walk through Central Park. My point was if you are only looking for the on board experience of being waited on, not having to cook or clean and are happy sitting on a balcony or by the pool it's just not the same as staying home.

The sand on the Long Island beaches is better than some of the sand in Florida or the Caribbean and you don't cut up your foot on the jagged coral.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes I know she lives in Florida.  I also don't have to sail on an Oasis class ship to see a Broadway Play or walk through Central Park. My point was if you are only looking for the on board experience of being waited on, not having to cook or clean and are happy sitting on a balcony or by the pool it's just not the same as staying home.

For some I guess it's fine,  but to spend that much money for what you are getting just not anywhere worth it. Plus service is declining on the cruise ships at this time because of crew shortages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

For some I guess it's fine,  but to spend that much money for what you are getting just not anywhere worth it. Plus service is declining on the cruise ships at this time because of crew shortages.

Well this we agree on. I am nowhere close to booking a cruise.  I am only following CC to keep up with what's going on and I don't like what I see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

Unfortunately, Labadee isn't an option now.

Out of interest why haven't they reopened Labadee?

Unsafe?

Not made ready after prolonged closure?

Disagreements with Haiti?

Covid?

Edited by sgmn

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well this we agree on. I am nowhere close to booking a cruise.  I am only following CC to keep up with what's going on and I don't like what I see. 

You are soooo correct but we will probably be banned because of our opinion which is sad

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, I discovered the rarely talked about E category "squarish" cabins on deck six of Q class are really enjoyable.

We are booked in one these for our b2b march sailing on Anthem.   Hear the shower is slightly larger and will definitely enjoy the larger balcony.

13 minutes ago, sgmn said:

All last summer from the UK  the cruise lines only had cruises to nowhere or UK ports only. But that's what was sold so no loss of expectation. But we also had no production shows due to the show staff isolating. They did lay on extra headliner acts though.

The cruise ships being turned away from Caribbean ports and high numbers of covid cases is now making the news over here.

Totally agree.  🙂 

We live near the beach, but don't go there.  

Indeed, we board a ship for the ship itself, different destinations, and simple life.  We never take the usual touristy beach/snorkel...etc. tours.  Prefer history, culinary, walking tours, etc..  If we can't make it to those (and just had a history/culture/culinary tour in St. Thomas cancelled by the tour operator a couple of days ago) we will still enjoy our time on the ship.  

We also don't do shows much at all on the ships, most of them are repeats of what we have already seen.  Many of them simply transfer from ship to ship.   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The sand on the Long Island beaches is better than some of the sand in Florida or the Caribbean and you don't cut up your foot on the jagged coral.

Exactly this ^  Thank you!  🤗

• Like 1