Jewel of the Seas Puts COVID-Infected Crew Members Onto Rhapsody of the Seas

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Well, that is doing some sketchy business.

Seems like a great idea to me.  The infectected crew does need isolating, and it's better off the ship than on it.  All of the cruise lines have ships that are not being used, so it's a lot cheaper to have them on one of their own hotels compared to on land hotels.

Given the schedule, it makes sure the crew member is away for 7 or 14 days- depending on the situation.  And it's a relatively controlled location, where RCI can monitor their own crew.  Sucks to get sick, and I think it would strain the system a lot of all of the crew had to isolate on their own ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Seems like a great idea to me.  The infectected crew does need isolating, and it's better off the ship than on it.  All of the cruise lines have ships that are not being used, so it's a lot cheaper to have them on one of their own hotels compared to on land hotels.

Given the schedule, it makes sure the crew member is away for 7 or 14 days- depending on the situation.  And it's a relatively controlled location, where RCI can monitor their own crew.  Sucks to get sick, and I think it would strain the system a lot of all of the crew had to isolate on their own ship.

The way it sounded to me was that they wern't transferring to a "idle" ship but to another active ship that doesn't have a port call that requires the >1% positivity.  If they are going to an inactive ship, that's OK.  

9 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

The way it sounded to me was that they wern't transferring to a "idle" ship but to another active ship that doesn't have a port call that requires the >1% positivity.  If they are going to an inactive ship, that's OK.  

Can't book a cruise right now on the Rhapsody, and the other ship I have heard was a holding ship was the Vision, and it isn't being booked until Feb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

On Jewel OTS now. A sea day Sky bar and Solarium bar closed. Not enough bar tenders to cover bars. Only 3 bartenders at pool bar. I lost 3 of my favorite bartenders ( 1 Sunday,1 Monday,1 Tuesday). Lost my waiter and his assistant Sunday night. I tested positive this morning. Now waiting in my deck 11 balcony to be moved closer to the medical center. We disembark tomorrow in Miami. I don't know what happens to me next.

I’m so sorry you tested positive. Did you get sick or did they test you because of all the close contacts? I hope you are asymptomatic or at least just the sniffles. 

3 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

As was mentioned, having ships on standby to be used for quarantine was part of the original CSO.  It makes sense.  With new crew members needing to quarantine to 14 days after joining a ship, they only have so many crew cabins available.  On all of the recent sailing we have been on they have mentioned that they have a full crew.  They do not mention how many of them are in quarantine and not available to work. 

I forgot about that part of the CSO.  Agree this makes sense as infected crew member can have a cabin to himself or herself.  

57 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I’m so sorry you tested positive. Did you get sick or did they test you because of all the close contacts? I hope you are asymptomatic or at least just the sniffles. 

They gave me a courtesy test( that I asked for) because on Friday I was to do a 3 night Bahamas New Years cruise on Carnival Conquest. No symptoms a bit of a scratchy throat which is almost gone. But I have always had problems with the A.C. on cruise ships and hotels.

10 minutes ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

They gave me a courtesy test( that I asked for) because on Friday I was to do a 3 night Bahamas New Years cruise on Carnival Conquest. No symptoms a bit of a scratchy throat which is almost gone. But I have always had problems with the A.C. on cruise ships and hotels.

Wow, I am surprised they didn’t initiate the testing of you along with all the tables full of diners that your ill waiter and assistant waiter served.   Seems like you would have all been classified as close contacts to them on Sunday when they (crew - waiters) were identified as being ill.    

Also, thank you for sharing your story.   Hoping your symptoms stay mild and  clear soon.

Edited by BSocial
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, syesmar said:

This post mentions a crew transfer from Allure to Vision.

Is Vision a ship that has not returned to service like Rhapsody?  I see that she's anchored near Coco Cay on MarineTraffic.com.  Rhapsody is either docked or anchored off of St. Maarten and has bee taking infected crew and transferring uninfected crew.

Edited by SherriZ366

4 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Is Vision a ship that has not returned to service like Rhapsody?  I

Neither Rhapsody nor Vision are in revenue service. Vision should have her simulation sailing in about three weeks so hope all those positive staff are negative soon. Rhapsody is supposed to leave for her TA in a week. 

Edited by Biker19

On 12/29/2021 at 2:20 PM, awestover89 said:

Long shot, but do you happen to know if Fe was one of the bartenders? She's our favorite bartender on any Royal ship, and is currently on Jewel

Fe was at the Schooner Bar on our Nov 15 cruise. While we didn't frequent the Schooner, she definitely had a blast with us and made a good impression!

• Like 1

Having quarantine ships available is a good idea in terms of taking care of the crew, but I’m still concerned about the many pax who had been exposed prior to crew transfer. They need to be tested after exposure. I know cruise lines don’t want to scare pax, but their health is more important. 

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I suspect the schedules for rhapsody and vision will be changing since they are the only 2 ghost ships that positive crew are being transferred to.

We'll find out by the end of the week - Rhapsody was supposed to start her TA on Friday.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:41 PM, RoyalC said:

By the time passengers test positive from infection (infection-symptoms-positive antigen test after a few days of symptoms) they will be at home and never counted.

True but this happens on airplanes, trains, hotels, etc. No proof is required on any of these and not tracked. 

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I suspect the schedules for rhapsody and vision will be changing since they are the only 2 ghost ships that positive crew are being transferred to.

IMO, We are going to continue with issues for at least another week or two.

I wonder what will happen to the Vision Jan 24th cruise

On 12/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, flyguyjake said:

Yes so you can't use any public transportation so they definitely need to get you a private car service.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles don't ask for proof of your Covid status

below is a copy of a post from another Travel site

"I am aware of a Canadian family (from Vancouver area) who was in Florida over the holidays. Grandparents took kids and grandkids on a cruise and to Disney world. PCR testing for return flights home resulted in 1 of 11 testing positive (asymptomatic). The remaining 10 flew back to Canada as scheduled while the positive member booked a domestic flight to Seattle. That’s right, he was able to book and board a US domestic flight after testing positive (but cruise lines, not air lines are the problem in the US ). In Seattle he rented a car, drove to the border where he stated he was a Canadian citizen who tested positive and was heading home to quarantine. He was sent on his way with no issues "

Edited by not-enough-cruising

2 hours ago, jonj said:

True but this happens on airplanes, trains, hotels, etc. No proof is required on any of these and not tracked. 

Which is really too bad, as the contract tracing needs to extends to planes, too.  Again, the virus didn't come to the US via a cruise ship.  It traveled the world on an airplane, mostly.  It makes more sense to me that many of the outbreaks on ships originated during travel from home to the ship.  Especially since the crew is pretty much only exposed to the virus via passengers as opposed to being able to get off the ship in a significant way.

11 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Which is really too bad, as the contract tracing needs to extends to planes, too.  Again, the virus didn't come to the US via a cruise ship.  It traveled the world on an airplane, mostly.  It makes more sense to me that many of the outbreaks on ships originated during travel from home to the ship.  Especially since the crew is pretty much only exposed to the virus via passengers as opposed to being able to get off the ship in a significant way.

I totally agree.