Anyone knows what quarantine is like on board?

lupaglupa

I can’t think of anything.   It would be nice to have fast internet.  We bought the fastest plan they offered but it’s very slow.   It is fastest when everyone is in port.  Anything we have asked for has been supplied. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:30 PM, JCP3 said:

I’m currently on Koninsdam in quarantine.   It’s better and worse than you might think  You can read our account of it at https://markmcelroy.com/what-happens-when-you-get-covid-on-a-luxury-cruise/

Thank you so much for posting this.  What a nightmare, but it could be worse.  I hope that you and your wife feel better soon.  

I truly hope that people who are thinking about cruising at this time will read this.  My goodness, I would not even consider booking a cruise in the near future.  You have opened my eyes and I thank you for that.

Prayers for you and wife.

58 minutes ago, hal lover said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  What a nightmare, but it could be worse.  I hope that you and your wife feel better soon.  

I truly hope that people who are thinking about cruising at this time will read this.  My goodness, I would not even consider booking a cruise in the near future.  You have opened my eyes and I thank you for that.

Prayers for you and wife.

There is no way I'd do a cruise right now especially since its way harder for Canadians then USA citizens.  I would never think I should make that decision for others though.  I cruised in November and felt perfectly safe once I was on the ship.

3 hours ago, JCP3 said:

I can’t think of anything.   It would be nice to have fast internet.  We bought the fastest plan they offered but it’s very slow.   It is fastest when everyone is in port.  Anything we have asked for has been supplied. 

You are positive in more ways than one! What a great example to any of us who end up quarantined on a dam ship! How are you both feeling? 

• Like 3

Thank you for documenting your experience! We are planning on going on the 2023 World Cruise and are concerned about quarantining in our inside cabin. I hope HAL sets aside some balcony cabins for that cruise too.

If you don't mind, what cabin #s did they designate for quarantine on your ship? Is the entire hallway blocked off, or can people walk past the cabins?

Hope you and your partner feel better soon!

Edited by sandiego1
add question

5 hours ago, JCP3 said:

Very nice that they are supplying everything you ask for. It does make sense that the internet is faster, or maybe the proper term is less slow, when everyone is in port as there are not others making use of the available bandwidth.

You are an amazing writer, and I think I met you when I worked at the Woodruff Arts Center.  I laughed so hard with your great description of getting the test.  I hope you will post when you find out how you are going to be getting off this ship, and then what do they do with you?  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your story. It is useful information to consider while deciding what to do about a cruise we are scheduled for in early February on the Rotterdam.

It sounds like you are making the best of the situation. I enjoyed your writing style and humor. Hope you both feel better soon and that your travels home go smoothly.

11 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Thank you for documenting your experience! We are planning on going on the 2023 World Cruise and are concerned about quarantining in our inside cabin. I hope HAL sets aside some balcony cabins for that cruise too.

If you don't mind, what cabin #s did they designate for quarantine on your ship? Is the entire hallway blocked off, or can people walk past the cabins?

Hope you and your partner feel better soon!

We are on an isolated hall.  It appears to be 8 cabins on this side. No one can walk by our cabins.  They’re all obstructive view balcony staterooms on deck 4.  We were on the Eurodam in August and they had a large number of quarantine rooms and at that time you could walk past. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I always wondered what would happen to a passenger who tested positive on board. Your sojourn lifted the veil on what actually happens

Please relate what happens when you dock at destination!!

A good read

Bob

• Like 2

@JCP3 Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Prayers for your recovery! What type of medication / treatment is HAL’s medical team providing, and do they give any other advice for recovery (e.g., X glasses of water daily, X hours of sleep, etc.)? Thanks! All the Best!

Our symptoms are so mild having both been vaccinated and boosted we have not needed any medication except for cough drops.    They have indicated we could get whatever we needed.   They have us keeping a log of temperature and other symptoms.   Medical calls us daily and in room dining asks every time we call.  We are waiting to hear about disembarkation in 2 days.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

On 12/29/2021 at 5:08 PM, JCP3 said:

We ordered from High Five for lunch today and they did charge us.  It is free in person but $4.95 for in room dining.  We haven’t ordered anything else from specialty but I’m sure we will before it’s over. 

Thank you so much for the "fun" description.  And I hope you both continue to feel better and also make the most of the trip.

Ordinarily, I'd say, 'Well, at least you don't have to cook or clean..."  but... um... okay... no cooking anyway...

(And at least there doesn't seem to be a TP shortage like back in the spring, 2020...? 😉 )

As for the $4.95 for "in room dining".  IF it's free "in person", I'm finding it a bit odd (euphemism) to charge those who are not allowed to go "in person".

Another question: Are you actually, truly "locked in"?  It sounds like maybe not, if you have the luxury (euphemism!) of placing your tray outside on the stool.  I would obviously comply with a "remain in your room" directive under the circumstances, but I'd have a LOT of trouble of really being "locked in"... not to mention, what if there's an emergency!?

Right... there already is an emergency of sorts, but what if there's a fire or something (yeah, I know - the locusts would be along next...!)

You are a terrific writer.  Thank you!

GC

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JCP3 said:

We are on an isolated hall.  It appears to be 8 cabins on this side. No one can walk by our cabins.  They’re all obstructive view balcony staterooms on deck 4.  We were on the Eurodam in August and they had a large number of quarantine rooms and at that time you could walk past. 

That area was blocked off as well when I was on the ship from November 7 -21.  You couldn’t walk down that side of the ship in the area.  My cabins were on that floor (changed cabins between cruises).

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is no way I'd do a cruise right now especially since its way harder for Canadians then USA citizens.  I would never think I should make that decision for others though.  I cruised in November and felt perfectly safe once I was on the ship.

Agreed.  Others can make their own choice, but I will not do it right now.  I miss HAL so much but I love staying healthy more.

• Like 2

We can get anything that is being served onboard at the time it’s being served. No beer has been ordered but wine has so I wouldn’t think beer would be a problem.   We have learned to only order from one venue at a time otherwise it can take longer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JCP3 said:

Here’s an update from the writer’s account 

https://markmcelroy.com/letters-from-the-quarantine-cabin/

Thank you so much for the posts.  You are a great writer and I am enjoying reading it.  Thank you for being so positive out of such a negative situation.  Stay strong and safe.

Stefani

• Like 2

@JCP3  since we are seniors & Canadian we feel we’ve been quarantined since our snow fall so are enjoying reading about you being quarantined-sorry though!   Thankfully our suite (house) is bigger than your cabin.  I think I’d go stir crazy but you are making the most of it-well done.  I get bored pretty easily so I think my next cruise I’ll bring a big sudoku book just in case.

Happy New Year’s Eve!  Enjoy your party for 2.  
Keep up your good spirits.  

• Like 5

@JCP3

Thank you for making quarantine almost sound like fun. I'm so sorry that you've had to spend your vacation like this, but I've never read a more "lemonade out of lemons" story.

On this New Year's Eve, a toast to your writing skills, a fantastic attitude, being quarantined with someone you love and not suffering severe health consequences. 🍾🥂

My New Years Resolution will be to emulate you if I ever find myself in similar circumstances.

Edited to add my agreement to your recommendations for safe cruising.

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 10

We haven’t been tested again.   I will ask about being tested before we disembark.  We don’t know how we will be disembarked yet.   They should tell us tomorrow. 

We have enjoyed meeting many Canadians over the years on our Cruise travels.    

We have had time to count our past cruises and this is #20 with 7 more on the books for the next 2 years.

17 have been with HAL.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, seaoma said:

@JCP3

Thank you for making quarantine almost sound like fun. I'm so sorry that you've had to spend your vacation like this, but I've never read a more "lemonade out of lemons" story.

On this New Year's Eve, a toast to your writing skills, a fantastic attitude, being quarantined with someone you love and not suffering severe health consequences. 🍾🥂

My New Years Resolution will be to emulate you if I ever find myself in similar circumstances.

Thank you for the sweet message. We will toast you tonight as well! Have the happiest of New Years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1