Wine Check

trbarton

I sailed 2x on the Ruby from San Francisco & their use to be a wine check table just after security but I never saw one. 

Curious as to which ports had a wine check & which ship.

Thanks!

Tom😀 

Edited by trbarton

I was at Port Everglades early, going through security around 10:30 on December 5. They directed me to the wine table, where I had to show them the bottle of wine that had turned up on the X-ray. I guess they were checking that it was really wine. The Princess folks wrote down my cabin number in a book. That may have been to check against any people not following the requirement to carry their wine on instead of packing it in checked luggage.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I was at Port Everglades early, going through security around 10:30 on December 5. They directed me to the wine table, where I had to show them the bottle of wine that had turned up on the X-ray. I guess they were checking that it was really wine. The Princess folks wrote down my cabin number in a book. That may have been to check against any people not following the requirement to carry their wine on instead of packing it in checked luggage.

That would be new for me.  Have not seen the wine table staffed that early before.  Wonder if they are trying to catch things sooner nowadays.

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

Curious as to which ports had a wine check & which ship.

---

Grand Princess had a wine check table in operation yesterday, 12/30/2021 before 10:30 AM, at San Pedro (Berth 93). 

I know because my spouse had to report to the table and the crewmember there logged our 2 bottles of wine.

---

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

Grand Princess had a wine check table in operation yesterday, 12/30/2021 before 10:30 AM, at San Pedro (Berth 93). 

I know because my spouse had to report to the table and the crewmember there logged our 2 bottles of wine.

---

I thought that if you didn't have more than the permitted allowance, there was no need to declare it ?

When we boarded the Majestic in November, we had 2 bottles, and when they screened our carry-on bags, nobody said a thing. I looked for the table, but didn't see anything, but we were in the first handful of folks checking-in, so they might not have been set up yet.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I thought that if you didn't have more than the permitted allowance, there was no need to declare it ?

---

Correct.

However, apparently an inspection exception not involving the allowed 2 bottles of wine can trigger a trip to the wine check table.  It did for us:

==> Newbie inspector from the bag inspection area, prior to putting a hold on spouse's battery-operated mini-fan* found in the carry-on [same mini-fan carried on all cruises in the last 5 years], requested that our 2 bottles be documented at the wine check table. 

The wine check table crewmember (Desmond from One5 bar I believe -- he knew us and greeted my spouse with a big warm "Welcome Back!") documented the 2 bottles because the newbie bag inspector requested this.  No corkage involved.

*Mini-fan was returned when the supervisor of newbie inspector saw that this item was too small for guidelines.  However, the 2 bottles of wine had already been documented at the wine check table.

---

Edited by RSS from SF

We boarded the Reagan in Port Everglades on 12/29.  Went through security around 10:30 with 2 bottles of wine in my carryon.  Security person was taking a minute checking my bag when a supervisor came over and explained to her that 2 bottles was no problem since there were 2 of us.  The alcohol table was set up but unmanned.

48 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

We boarded the Reagan in Port Everglades on 12/29.  Went through security around 10:30 with 2 bottles of wine in my carryon.  Security person was taking a minute checking my bag when a supervisor came over and explained to her that 2 bottles was no problem since there were 2 of us.  The alcohol table was set up but unmanned.

LOL... the great Ronnie R might be honored to have a passenger vessel named in his honor, but when you have an aircraft carrier, not much else measures up. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

LOL... the great Ronnie R might be honored to have a passenger vessel named in his honor, but when you have an aircraft carrier, not much else measures up. 

Hmmm...I wonder if Princess has sub-contracted with the Navy for additional ships?  Air evac would certainly be more interesting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Lol!!  Spell check is not always my friend!!  I just checked and we are on board the Regal! 🤣😂

15 minutes ago, f-mattox said:

The short answer is yes, you can do without the app.  You will need the medallion to open your cabin door and pay for drinks and other purchases; but the app and the medallion are two separate entities.  The app operates through your smartphone or other smart device, but the medallion doesn't need the app to provide its two basic functions.  

• Like 1

We always board early and have never stopped at a wine table to show them our bottles. Many times the wine check-in table isn't there & if it was, we just walk right on by. The people at the scanners are so busy they never check to see if you stop or not.

Not that we had anything to hide. 

I suppose I could have gotten off the ship & went shopping for another 2 bottles. 😁