The Daily for Monday 01/03/2022

richwmn

Today is Festival of Sleep Day, Fruitcake Toss Day, and Humiliation Day

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - swiss chard and mushroom galette
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Tarragon Cooler
Wine of the Day - "Big Easy Chenin Blane, Beath Africa 4890
Destination of the Day - Ushuaia, Argentina

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam

Destination Willemstad eta 1/5

At Sea Caribbean Sea

Eurodam

Destination Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam

Destination Willemstad eta 1/4

Rotterdam

Destination Grand Turk

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam

Destination Cabo San Lucas MX eta 1/4

Zuiderdam

Destination Cabo San Lucas MX eta 1/4

Ships Without Passengers

Augusta, IT

Oosterdam

Zaandam

Corfu GR

Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam

Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam

Anchorage

0101Caribbean.thumb.png.7e5548cae9760f66d7fea1cae2e53fb7.png

0103NAmericaW.thumb.png.7d5d3b71bb185ce1d8fb44e801357771.png

0103Europe.thumb.png.a85bb6b6c42b05cbc7cfb9c5abbeaa22.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone it’s back to work for me.  Thanks for the daily reports all.  I’ll take Festival of Sleep.  No to fruitcake toss and I had to look up humiliation day which I think makes you a better person.  Interesting quote although I avoid high maintenance people.  The meal suggestion sounds nice.  It’s dry January so I’ll skip right over to another port that I have not visited and will enjoy through the photos. Prayers for everyone on today’s list and cheers to all celebrating happy events.

• Like 29

Good morning from the Rotterdam.  Interesting Monroe quote.

I'm disappointed at the Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam.  It is small, about the size of the Signature Suite on other ships with a small deck.  However, the ship is beautiful.  New deck plans to get used to.  Ok, rant over.  Got to meet @Seasick Sailorlast night!  Off for early morning exploring and coffee.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bourbon Tarragon Cooler:

Ingredients:
2 Parts Maker's Mark Bourbon
1 Part Lime Juice
0.5 Part Agave Syrup
1 Pinch Salt
1 Cup Ice
4 Tarragon Sprigs
Directions:
Infuse bourbon with Serrano peppers (instructions follow). Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until the ice is pureed. Serve immediately. *Serrano-infused Makers Mark Bourbon: 2 cups Makers Mark Bourbon and 1 piece Serrano pepper, cut in half and de-seeded. Combine the pepper and Makers Mark Bourbon in an airtight container and allow it to macerate until ready to serve. Store in the fridge and shake container gently twice a day.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.02.30 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Gusting winds woke me early and couldn’t get back to sleep. We’ll be headed home tomorrow and will make our final decision about going to Cancun. DSIL will definitely not be going as she’s still in hospital stable and receiving good care.

Yesterday at home it was a nice day until the cold front arrived and I just checked wind chill 27F! 

Grand children still asleep so enjoying quiet time.

Thanks Rich for your faithful fleet report and May all of you have a great, safe and healthy week.😷

• Like 33

Good morning, everyone.

It is January, so back to the pool I go.  I'm going this week because the University isn't in session and numbers should be low.   We'll see about next week when students are back.  My back needs to get back in the water.  

Today's meal looks great. After seeing all the wonderful pizzas @grapau27 Graham and Pauline have, we have to have a pie recipe.   While this calls for Swiss chard, you could easily substitute spinach or kale.  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/swiss-chard-and-mushroom-galette

774698354_swisschardandmushroomgalette.thumb.jpg.7d4f929fe48655aa7403db820d7caba1.jpg

Really, this base could be used for any toppings you want.   https://lightingthepilot.com/swiss-chard-and-mushroom-galette-blogsgiving-2019/

1531439669_swisschardandmushroomgalette2.thumb.jpg.e4f07d7930963be343fd522ef908b6ef.jpg

This next one uses a cornmeal galette dough and leaves off the mushrooms, but you can easily add them back in.   https://food52.com/recipes/30264-slab-galette-with-swiss-chard-and-gruyere

1289354322_swisschardandmushroomgalette3.thumb.webp.7ef6f44064307de18132d792f40cccf9.webp

And, last but not least, we have one for those who prefer vegan.  https://mindfulavocado.com/vegan-swiss-chard-and-wild-mushroom-galette/

swiss-chard-mushroom-galette_011.jpg.f831b4a16465d67aa6c8661cd6ac6082.jpg

Prayers for those who need them.    I hope you all have a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I seem to be celebrating sleep a lot more than usual lately.  I'll eat my last slice of fruit cake today,  Often humiliation seems to find me.  I've been to Ushuaia several times.  I'll pass on the meal.  Interesting quote by Monroe.  Snowing this morning.  I may have a dental appointment but will consult with the doctor first since I seen to be not quite recovered from a nasty cough.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation

Colorado Wildfires
My pastor with breakthrough covid
Welfare of furloughed crews
Walker in hospice
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Tana’s continuing struggles with pneumonia added on
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
From the rotation:
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
6 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 1/9 to 1/16)
6 days for sassy~one (Rotterdam 1/9 to 1/29)
Carnival Group  hospital ships Noordam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Aliaschief on babysitting duty
Lottery luck for dfish
summer slope (1/29), Seasick Sailor (1/16), Av8rix(Rotterdam to 1/9) and Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8) at sea
Welcome home Lindaler, garlictown, Sharon,  Rich, and  Copper10_8
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days. Festival of Sleep sounds like a good idea. No fruitcake to toss here.  Not sure about Humiliation Day.

The meal looks good.  I'll pass on the drink, hope the wine is good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

It's cold here today with the windchill it's -18C.  Bertie will get a short walk this morning.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

29 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Good Morning Everyone, thank you for the daily report.  🥰  Cautiously excited for my Rotterdam 1-9 sailing.  Be safe! Debbie

Debbie I noticed in when and where, there's coloring and origami in the Art Studio today.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 21

25 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Interesting quote although I avoid high maintenance people

39 minutes ago, richwmn said:

But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

I believe that the second part of the quote is the important part. We all have faults, and we all need to deal with how people are, not how we want them to be.

• Like 38

Good afternoon.

It is 45°F and sunny here in NE England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping up to date lists of care and celebration.

I have always been a night person and usually don't turn cc off until around midnight.

This morning I didn't get up until 9am.

The quote does not apply to me but I know some family members it does.

Diet starts today so no fruitcake for a while.

Debbie's @dfish food looks delicious.

I will pass on the drink.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Paulines half cousin who is fully vaccinated and his young child has a mild covid infection and this is the second time they have both had covid.

please take care everyone and wear your mask.😷

Graham.

Screenshot_20220103_122118.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. Sure did miss you Rich and Sharon at Trivia. Roy get all the rest you can. Thinking of Jose and Jacqui. 

Roy, has @garlictown and @lindalerdisembarked? Could have sworn I passed Katie last night.

Today is a sea day. I'll finish my book and run down to the library to see what's next. The ship has about 1300 guests and the dining room looked like a ghost town last night. Tonight is Tamarind and looking forward to the crispy duck!

Wishing everyone a happy day. God bless!

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Misspell
  • Like 31

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and welcome home 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’ve been needing more sleep as of late so I will try to celebrate tonight.  I’d never toss a good fruitcake!

I resemble that quote of Marilyn Monroe’s as of late 😉 

Meal suggestion sounds good but there’s no swiss chard at this time of year. Looking forward to hearing about the wine - after all, it’s white!  Knowing we have a lot of bacon lovers, here, I thought they might get a kick out of this one:

A9DF22B7-A848-45FC-B8FC-0913E8B4989D.thumb.jpeg.b8d55c6083512d9846e8b799f9159579.jpeg

Loved our visit to Ushuaia - sadly the pics are too old and in a photo album.  If I get ambitious I’ll go digging, but not betting on that much ambition 😉 

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning from the Rotterdam.  I'm disappointed at the Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam.  It is small, about the size of the Signature Suite on other ships with a small deck.  However, the ship is beautiful. 

Another faithful daily-ite keeping up with the drinks of the day even though she is cruising 👍 Impressive!  Happy to here you got to meet Seasick Sailor and so sorry on your disappointment on the Neptune Suite.  Makes me wonder how much smaller the Signature Suites are on that ship?

Looks like it is going to be messy, miserable weather for a lot of us this week 😡 

308DE602-E7C7-4549-803F-90467A18D494.thumb.jpeg.0857b0b035bf642d3fd65ec79c67ffe7.jpeg

I tried @Horizon chaser 1957’s trick for Marley’s pills.  It worked last night and for the first one this morning and the nada - Bumpkins.  So, I got out his salmon jerky he loves, gave him a piece and then put a piece on one of the pill poppers.  I got the ‘look’ but he took it.  Miko was quite happy as he got lots of treats this morning and Marley got all his pills without doing it the hard way.  🤞 for the ones later.

Things are exploding here covid wise.  All the hospitals have gone into code red.  So those exceptions for visitation for palliative care, etc are now cancelled along with blood work, labs, many operations, etc.  Fortunately as a Designated Support Person, I should still be able to get in once Jose’s quarantine is lifted assuming the rules don’t change 🙏🏻 

Looks like a lot of people are doing dry January and other resolutions.  Guess I should try to do that too.

408D9D14-9C68-4828-9A61-B50F8AB0A6A4.thumb.jpeg.9526d99700a4ecaa08af0062e6e8e389.jpeg

@Seasick SailorIt sounds like the name of the When and Where changed to See and Do now?

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines half cousin who is fully vaccinated and his young child has a mild covid infection and this is the second time they have both had covid.

Oh no!  I pray they recover quickly and easily 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone.

1D90274D-D528-4E16-BEEA-C155DF8C38DD.jpeg.a01ef821dfa0f66bcd8adbb981629fca.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

The weathermen were correct! It is snowing here with a forecast of close to six inches. You will never guess where the snow blower is.  😄   Looks like we will be manning the shovels instead.  I just got Sam up to run outside and then eat. I think he was a bit surprised! Now he wants outside again!

Safe travels for those heading somewhere today.

- Jack

0103220731a.thumb.jpg.7a98f665cab670284282a8e3ce8cdcb3.jpg

0103220745g.thumb.jpg.14971459f620a1dd75cdaa8835c4b4ef.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 43

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite a grouping of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy & I am glad to hear that you are sleeping - it is so restorative. Morning Dailyite family! Thrilled to read that Dixie & Joy aka @summer slope& @Seasick Sailormet up with their DHs on the Rotterdam last night!  Jacqui I am praying that you, Jose and his medical team have a breakthrough - the good kind, this week. 

It’s a very windy day here. This morning I witnessed a thick wall of clouds march quickly towards the Southwest. Not sure what kind of weather it carried, but it looked menacing. If all goes as planned, my gutter guards will be installed today. 🤞🏻 Today I try my first Zumba class since my injury last July. It has taken me this long to feel confident enough to quickly shift all my weight from one leg to another while moving fast. I love my Zumba classes, so I am hoping that I can do it.

I discovered a reason why the Internet might be slow…

E7E14B73-7C7F-4CE4-895E-56989016702E.jpeg.194e493c6f249a674b1f9837526272e8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Big Easy Chenin Blanc, Beath Africa 4890
A bit elusive, but with a name like this, it would be fun to try and find it. It is an Ernie Els wine. A fairly reasonable price and very good ratings, I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $18.99.

Winemaker Notes

Lemon in color it is loaded with ripe kumquat, summer melon, straw and hints of spice on the nose. The tropical palate is richly textured with hints of wild herbs and Indian spice, adding complexity and good depth. This wine is medium-bodied and unhindered by oak giving a lively fruit structure and soft, easy finish.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday from the Ft Lauderdale airport. We are traveling home today and will arrive about 1:45 pm Tucson time, then pick up Blue from the vet. I miss him so much!  

I also miss the Rotterdam, what a lovely ship she is, and I also miss my morning drinks. 

F09E797D-CFC5-408A-B1F5-5A580722D31A.thumb.jpeg.aa6033780b8d6d4f069a4eb4eb72fc15.jpeg

Franco at Club Orange made my iced coffee each morning and Budi always knew we wanted Mimosas. 

I also miss HMC. 

8CCA513C-6C2E-47F2-A969-C5C209F12F62.thumb.jpeg.7751c0c0a1fbb08b1647eef721cf9bfd.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 42
  • Thanks 3