On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

After waiting 90 minutes a family of 8  missed the ship by 5 minutes. We also had a couple 1 hour late that needed to finish their cigarettes before getting on the ship even with the crew urging them to board. We were also delayed for an ambulance to remove a passenger. Not sure if the ship should have stopped pulling away for the family or not given how late they were. Still sad being that close. 

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Karter said:

After waiting 90 minutes a family of 8  missed the ship by 5 minutes.

We also had a couple 1 hour late that needed to finish their cigarettes before getting on the ship even with the crew urging them to board.

To bad. All aboard means exactly that. 

Not buying that. Thanks for the laugh. 🤣 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, clochette said:

90 minute is a long time to wait and the all onboard time is always 30 minutes prior to departure so that really make them 2 hour late.

All aboard was 1:00 they showed up at 2:30.

I'd love to hear their side, minus any emotional additions.  Just the facts.    

Was there an accident?  Unexpected trip to ER?  Save children from a burning school bus?  Or did they get drunk in a bar and lose track of time?  Just once I'd love someone to say "Yup, we screwed up, this in on us." - if it was.

Did they try to contact the ship?   

• Like 10

Most of the people who admit to having missed the ship are either drinking or shopping.  Some use their phones to tell the time (never a good idea) while others just don't bother to check the time.  We've seen pier runners and can always tell when people are late by the announcements asking for so and so to contact guest services, but as far as I know in 30 cruises I don't remember ever having anyone miss the ship.  We have however watched drunk people weaving down the pier last minute, including one trip a crew member.  We may never know the story about these 8.

• Like 1

After thinking about it we saw the port agent take what appeared to be their documentation off the ship before they arrived so maybe it's not that easy to let them back on. Cleared from the manifest maybe?

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Most of the people who admit to having missed the ship are either drinking or shopping.  Some use their phones to tell the time (never a good idea) while others just don't bother to check the time.  We've seen pier runners and can always tell when people are late by the announcements asking for so and so to contact guest services, but as far as I know in 30 cruises I don't remember ever having anyone miss the ship.  We have however watched drunk people weaving down the pier last minute, including one trip a crew member.  We may never know the story about these 8.

Seen them miss Boat multiple times. Ship never went back as they stood there waving but once a Port Pilot brought Passenger to Ship after we were 30 min out. This was Nov2001 and out of PR, a Port Stop

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 minute ago, Karter said:

After thinking about it we saw the port agent take what appeared to be their documentation off the ship before they arrived so maybe it's not that easy to let them back on. Cleared from the manifest maybe?

It's more that once they take off their passports, bc, etc and hand them over, the ship leaves.  They also don't want other cruisers thinking that being back ontime isn't necessary because they'll just pull back in and get them.  So, protocol is once they hand over everything and pull in the gangway, they leave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

They did not appear to be drinking it was a family with several kids. What was sad the father was so thankful to make it but then the ship pulled away. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Karter said:

They did not appear to be drinking it was a family with several kids. What was sad the father was so thankful to make it but then the ship pulled away. 

What do yo u mean the father was so thankful to make it?

2 minutes ago, BND said:

It's more that once they take off their passports, bc, etc and hand them over, the ship leaves.  They also don't want other cruisers thinking that being back ontime isn't necessary because they'll just pull back in and get them.  So, protocol is once they hand over everything and pull in the gangway, they leave.

They had pulled the gangway but the forklift driver tried to put it back but they stopped him.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Karter said:

They had pulled the gangway but the forklift driver tried to put it back but they stopped him.

For 8 people that is going to be an extremely expensive mistake.  They may just be better off flying back to Miami.  If not its 2 nights hotel in either the Bahamas or St. Martaan, food, drinks, clothing....not to mention what they have to do to get from island to island with Covid issues.  Not going to be good.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

For 8 people that is going to be an extremely expensive mistake.  They may just be better off flying back to Miami.  If not its 2 nights hotel in either the Bahamas or St. Martaan, food, drinks, clothing....not to mention what they have to do to get from island to island with Covid issues.  Not going to be good.

Plus we may not be able to stop at St Martin with everything going on with Covid.

We've been late one time in all of our cruises.  We were about 35 minutes late getting back to port in Costa Maya as there was an accident and we were held up in traffic.  Thankfully we were on a private group excursion that was arranged through Royal.  Guide took pictures as we went by the accident scene as I'm sure Royal wanted answers as to our delay.  We had 10 cruising in in our group.  I was still stressed when we got back even though we knew Royal was holding for us.

• Like 1