1st time to Alaska..wondering what to bring for clothes...

Mainiac85

So, this will be very 1st time cruising to Alaska, Usually do Caribbean, Is the clothing attire a bit more relaxed for Alaska?

Do people just more normally wear jeans & sneakers?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i use to Capri's & sandals LOL

• Like 2

When will you be going? I went to Alaska in mid-September about 15 years ago (and will be again this year) We packed a few sets of just lounge pants with a lightweight zip up hoodie for our 'at sea' days,  just different shirts for under the hoodie. I am totally a capri/flip flops kind of girl myself, jeans and sneakers are perfectly fine for the trip and were basically what we wore whenever we got off the boat. Alaska is about layers when it comes to weather vs clothing. We did a decent amount of excursions so good walking shoes were necessary for those adventures. Bring a decent sweater and a rainproof jacket just to be safe. When I was there last, we had amazing weather. It only rained 1 day, and it was around 50 degrees the entire trip. Just be sure to bring options because things can change quickly.  

light layers, & a good, packable waterproof rain jacket with hood....   socks that cover your ankles, a smart wool buff,   quick drying, wicking clothing....  jeans are not your friend if it rains or snows (we had both in late September)

we had two weeks, first was stormy, cold, rainy 

Here's what I packed & wore:

2 pairs black leggings 

pair of silk thermal leggings & silk thermal long sleeved base layer

3 long sleeved black fitted tees in a blend fabric

2 black longer tank tops (wicking, quick dry)

zip up puffy vest

beanie 

smart wool buff

water resistant gloves

rainjacket (got mine at Costco)

decent hiking boots

had to buy more socks that cover ankles...  I usually just wear the low wrights's socks...  they weren't enough

a lot of my items were the 32 degrees brand, my black long sleeved tees I bought from gap years ago, they are a cotton/poly/spandex blend so they don't hold water.

I also packed a shorts outfit, wore it on second leg

packed a pair of running shoes, wore in gym & on the sunny days

I sent out a lot of laundry...  evenings on ship:  some days it was what I'd worn in port, some days it was a long silk skirt w/black tank top & some earrings...

brought bathing suits, used them a lot, had a small backpack with me each day, & would add, remove layers as needed.

hope this helps!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingsQueen13 said:

When will you be going? I went to Alaska in mid-September about 15 years ago (and will be again this year) We packed a few sets of just lounge pants with a lightweight zip up hoodie for our 'at sea' days,  just different shirts for under the hoodie. I am totally a capri/flip flops kind of girl myself, jeans and sneakers are perfectly fine for the trip and were basically what we wore whenever we got off the boat. Alaska is about layers when it comes to weather vs clothing. We did a decent amount of excursions so good walking shoes were necessary for those adventures. Bring a decent sweater and a rainproof jacket just to be safe. When I was there last, we had amazing weather. It only rained 1 day, and it was around 50 degrees the entire trip. Just be sure to bring options because things can change quickly.  

We will be going middle of June

23 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

light layers, & a good, packable waterproof rain jacket with hood....   socks that cover your ankles, a smart wool buff,   quick drying, wicking clothing....  jeans are not your friend if it rains or snows (we had both in late September)

we had two weeks, first was stormy, cold, rainy 

Here's what I packed & wore:

2 pairs black leggings 

pair of silk thermal leggings & silk thermal long sleeved base layer

3 long sleeved black fitted tees in a blend fabric

2 black longer tank tops (wicking, quick dry)

zip up puffy vest

beanie 

smart wool buff

water resistant gloves

rainjacket (got mine at Costco)

decent hiking boots

had to buy more socks that cover ankles...  I usually just wear the low wrights's socks...  they weren't enough

a lot of my items were the 32 degrees brand, my black long sleeved tees I bought from gap years ago, they are a cotton/poly/spandex blend so they don't hold water.

I also packed a shorts outfit, wore it on second leg

packed a pair of running shoes, wore in gym & on the sunny days

I sent out a lot of laundry...  evenings on ship:  some days it was what I'd worn in port, some days it was a long silk skirt w/black tank top & some earrings...

brought bathing suits, used them a lot, had a small backpack with me each day, & would add, remove layers as needed.

hope this helps!

Appreciate this, Yes, it is very helpful!!! Thank you!! 🙂

• Like 2

We took good rain gear and rain pants for an Aug cruise.  Wore the rain coat with a packable jacket underneath most days in port.  The rain pants were wonderful for wind protection and stayed dry (and warm) on the glacier boat tour.  A warm hat and gloves were nice for touring and on the outside decks

IMG_6847.JPG

• Like 2

A number of folks have posted their packing lists.  Hopefully you can find additional lists by using the search function.  Layers are the key.  You will definitely need a water proof (not water resistant) outer layer.

Regarding dress in general --  passengers definitely dress more casually on an Alaska itinerary than on other itineraries, with the exception of Antarctic cruises where the dress is also very casual.  

• Like 2

forgot to add, I also brought a thin puffer jacket along, it was very packable & warmer than the rain jacket or vest... also purchased at Costco 🙂

We did a fishing trip with Baranof fishing in Ketchikan,  they outfitted us with fisherman's bibs, waterproof anoraks w/hoods, gloves, rubber boots, & wool socks...  they were all very necessary...  if you're going on a private excursion, see if they outfit you with gear, I would have hated to buy & carry a "Gorton's Fisherman" outfit of my own lol 😉 

Edit to add:  looking through photos, I see that I also brought a long sleeved bas layer called "cuddle duds". it was like a super thin, super soft fleecy material...

Also brought a cowl-necked sweater of some very soft tech fabric...  it had thumb holes in sleeves, one of my favorite & most useful things.

Also, a water proof broad brimmed hat w/wind cord.  

Edited by cruise kitty
add info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

forgot to add, I also brought a thin puffer jacket along, it was very packable & warmer than the rain jacket or vest... also purchased at Costco 🙂

We did a fishing trip with Baranof fishing in Ketchikan,  they outfitted us with fisherman's bibs, waterproof anoraks w/hoods, gloves, rubber boots, & wool socks...  they were all very necessary...  if you're going on a private excursion, see if they outfit you with gear, I would have hated to buy & carry a "Gorton's Fisherman" outfit of my own lol 😉 

Edit to add:  looking through photos, I see that I also brought a long sleeved bas layer called "cuddle duds". it was like a super thin, super soft fleecy material...

Also brought a cowl-necked sweater of some very soft tech fabric...  it had thumb holes in sleeves, one of my favorite & most useful things.

Also, a water proof broad brimmed hat w/wind cord.  

You have given me some great information that I hadn't thought of, Appreciate your help!!!  

• Like 1

Once you figure out what you need to purchase, check out  www.sierra.com

It is a great site to find name brand clothing at a fraction of the cost. Not all colors will be available, and some sizes might not be available, but that is where I purchased my windproof pants, rain pants, bug proof pants, rain jacket, thermal underwear, smart wool socks and waterproof hiking boots. Most items were 50% off, some were 70%. 

Though purchased for my postponed 2021Alaska cruise, I was able to test drive everything in Iceland this past July.  I used & loved every item, especially knowing the price I paid. 

Enjoy your cruise. I sail this September. 

• Like 1

Don’t over think packing. For most, you will be walking on pavement or the deck of a boat 90% of the time.  Some vendors provide gear/clothing when necessary as Cruise Kitty mentioned in this thread.  Most people live in areas that at some point during the year the weather is similar to a summer in SE Alaska. Yeah, probably more rain though.

As long as you have a rainproof hooded coat and a bunch of layers, you’ll be fine. Hat & gloves.  Bring clothes for the specific excursions not just for the heck of it because you’re going to Alaska.

I bring two pair of sneakers and a dress pair, a couple pair of jeans and have nothing that is wool and have found that fine after multiple trips to Alaska.

snowmc  has a very good clothing list on the link provided.  See any rain paints? Wool anything?

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, Mainiac85 said:

I'm use to the cold Maine winter's so not to worried about the cold.

But are rain pants really necessary? 

They can be very useful.  We've been on cruises where we didn't get any rain and on others where it poured buckets!  You just never know.  Having an extra pair of jeans along has usually taken care of it though.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, Mainiac85 said:

They are welcome when it is pouring and so windy, that it is raining sideways. But not necessary. I avoid jeans in rainy weather, because I find them cold once they get wet. 

Weather is so unpredictable in September. I have encountered a couple inches of snow in Denali just after Labor Day. But t-shirt weather in Ketchikan 10 days later. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

I would plan for the same weather you would for April/May in Maine. It can be warm or cool, rain or sun. Pack layers.

I have never bought rain pants on any of my cruises to Alaska though I have been there when it has poured a ton.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mainiac85 said:

Only if you already own them.  Ketchikan can be very rainy.  Also, a fleece vest is highly recommended, and a fleece jacket would be helpful (plus, you live in Maine so you would be wearing these items throughout the year anyway).  I did see on someone's packing list a sweatshirt.  I would not bring a sweatshirt.  If that got wet, it would take forever to dry.  Fleece is a better option.

• Like 1

Great thread.  @Glaciers,I have been over thinking the packing.  Good to read some experienced cruisers' tips.  And several posts from the Florida folks too.  At the moment I own 1 pair of jeans (for visiting grandkids in KY) and no fleece, wool or thermal. Time to invest because it's time to travel.  Thanks for the great posts.

Deb

• Like 2

It rained every day of my Alaskan cruise this past August. I had a great time. I had a water-resistant jacket and a heavy-duty rain poncho. This time, I did not take waterproof shoes. They would have been handy the day my ship was in Ketchikan and I walked to Saxman. The other days we did not have hard rain, more drizzle. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mainiac85 said:

We are very used to the cold weather and found jeans to be just fine.

• Like 1