On Edge Now 1/9-16 Observations

miaminative0853

3 hours ago, ariansun72 said:

Was this cruise supposed to go to Puerto Rico?  If so, has it been changed to Nassau, and what day of the itinerary, also what time in Port?  Thanks!

Yes, was supposed to be in PR tomorrow but only from 4:30 pm to 11 pm (hardly worth it) but that has been cancelled. Yes, changed to Nassau on the day before we return but I'm hearing other cruises are being denied entry there so wouldnt be surprised if this ends up as a two stop cruise.

I really believe we are turning the corner with Covid and cruising will improve as we hit endemic status, and those in charge figure out exactly what that means.  We have to learn to live with this, but not in such a manner in which confusion drives how we react.  The next couple of months will determine how fast the pandemic becomes endemic, making rules surrounding everything a little more palatable and without so much fear.  Herd immunity cannot be that far away from today!

Edge is going to Europe in April!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, flviking said:

Please share the Luminae experience regarding occupancy as well as the times you dine. We expect suites will be closer to full than the remainder of the ship and we'd prefer not to be dining as close as the two tops normally are.  Thanks for taking the time during your cruise to help others. We are booked for 2/13.

Update: Dined at Luminae last night. Arrived at 6:45. Seated immediately. Restaurant was about 20% filled. We kept expecting it to get crowded but it never did. At max maybe got to 30-35% by the time we left. Easy to social distance. Service and food were outstanding.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I really believe we are turning the corner with Covid and cruising will improve as we hit endemic status, and those in charge figure out exactly what that means.  We have to learn to live with this, but not in such a manner in which confusion drives how we react.  The next couple of months will determine how fast the pandemic becomes endemic, making rules surrounding everything a little more palatable and without so much fear.  Herd immunity cannot be that far away from today!

Take a look here.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-soon-will-covid-be-normal

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Gingercruiser said:

Hi, I am on the 16 Jan sailing b2b and was wondering if any guys are wearing suits/jackets on the evening chic nights. Currently packing the case and fly out on Thursday! Thanks

Last night was evening chic. I'm guessing maybe 50% of passengers were "dressed up" and 50% no different than any other day. Its waaay different than the old days! I wore a sports jacket over jeans to Luminae. My wife wore slacks and a fancy top. Some men with jackets and ties; some women with "fancy" dresses, but honestly it's like anything goes. That's been the trend over the years and the low passenger count/social distancing is probably accentuating the move away from dressing up. But I think you'll feel comfrotable either way. 

27 minutes ago, Gingercruiser said:

Hi, I am on the 16 Jan sailing b2b and was wondering if any guys are wearing suits/jackets on the evening chic nights. Currently packing the case and fly out on Thursday! Thanks

On that cruise as well and the answer is NO. Sailed Silversea in December where we had to dress 8 nights of 12. Informal is jacket with or without tie. Formal is more intense. Only four “casual” nights where jackets weren’t required. 

4 hours ago, miaminative0853 said:

Update: Dined at Luminae last night. Arrived at 6:45. Seated immediately. Restaurant was about 20% filled. We kept expecting it to get crowded but it never did. At max maybe got to 30-35% by the time we left. Easy to social distance. Service and food were outstanding.

We were in the Retreat in August on the Equinox; the ship was at 40% capacity, but all suites were booked and the Luminae was never close to 100% full for any meal. Never had to wait for a table either. We have 39 days booked on the Edge and Apex in 2023 and 2024 all in the Retreat,

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks, TeeRick!  My MDVIP doctor has been so excellent to have, especially during Covid.  He is so pro-active, avid researcher and keeps his patients up to date with monthly information.  He is adamant that what we are doing now is not sustainable.  My health is #1, but I have also been in school wearing a mask for almost two years.  School districts are having to close in

person learning because so many are retiring, quitting or sick.  I just keep plugging along, following my doc’s information and doing well; however, the time is close for a new lesson plan!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

planning on sailing 2/13.  I have a skysuite and the passengers numbers being posted are very close to my past Sept-Oct sailing.  I found that to be the best sailing experience .  Hoping my cruise is similar.  Unless something drastic happens, Im in. 

20 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I agree but also feel the CDC and then cruise lines have to live with it also. I’m not afraid at this point of getting Covid. I am vaxed and boostered but I don’t want to spend my cruise quarantined and possibly alone, and possibly in an inside cabin. Hoping this ends soon. Year 3 is too much! 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

We are on a B2B2B starting on 6 Feb on the Edge.    I so hope that the virus will be on the way down soon.  We wanted to spend February somewhere warm.  

We are on the same B2B. Like you have already quoted, let's hope 🙏 

• Like 1

On this sailing as well. Both sides of deck 6 aft seem to be closed off for quarantine rooms. Deck 8 forward also is out of bounds. Haven't heard any announcements, but it may be more for staff from the week prior rather than guests (the activity manager (Kate?) Seemed to be sick after her first day. Hope she's doing well).

Mostly everyone wearing masks and social distancing (except for a couple who decided to sit right next to us at the theatre without masks and started to cough away). Staff at showtime also seemed to individually social distance with each other. 🤷 Maybe scared of contact tracing and having to quarantine?

As for TV/HDMI input Jim_Iain's instructions worked. Press CC button (hear gibberish), then Menu button. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's update: For those in suites, the Retreat sundeck was extremely crowded. Got there at 9:30 am and no loungers were available in the main area (near pool and bar). A large group 9-10 had clearly sent someone down early to gobble up the good row (second row away from the wind) and I guess other guests learend from Day 1. Unfortunatley feels like the main pool pre-COVID. DW and I had to "retreat" to "Purgatory" (my nickname for the back part of the Retreat sundeck away from the pool). If you like quiet and intermittent service this is the place for you but we like to be in the action. We were able to move to the main area around 2:00 pm thanks to some folks keeping an eye out for us on available loungers.

We did not hear the Captian's message at 10 am so I asked the Retreat Manager if he had anything interesting to say, and she said "just the usual, weather, etc." Then I explained what I really mean is "any COVID numbers"? She said no, but if he has anything to report on COVID he will break in at any time. In any event, still havent heard anything official or through the grape vine. (Any OPs on this trip if you heard anything different, please chime in). Weather is great. Food is good to good plus. Drinks are flowing. Most people are adhering to the masking and social distancing. People are being as socialable as they want to be. Main pool was busier today than  yesterday (maybe 75% of lower deck occupied). Tortola tomorrow. Looks like it is a go. I won't have a report on Luminae today as we are headed to the Roof Top Grill with some new-foubd friends tonight. Bottomline: All is good so far.

Any questions, let them fly.

• Thanks 5

Hey GenerationX,  I followed your October Summit sailing, commenting on your great live review and in particular your fashion!  I’ve got to know….have you pulled the trigger on the 1/30 Edge sailing?  I hope so because I am on board and would look forward to meeting you and enjoying a cocktail or two!

• Like 1

Update: Arrived in Tortola. General disembarkation announcement included: take vacination cards or copies on your phones; cards may be required to enter certain restaurants and attractions. No non-Celebrity excursions with unvaccinated children under 12. Mask required indoors; recommended outdoors. Also as usual take Sea Pass and photo id. Weather is great, also as usual.

Dinner last night at Roof Top Grill with another couple. Maybe three other tables taken all night. Very good food; beautiful setting at night. Underutilized restaurant I guess because comes off as a BBQ and wings spot but also other decent food.

No COVID news that we have heard. Headed into town for a walk around. More latter...

• Thanks 1

We are on the Feb 6 sailing in a aft sky suite. This will be our first post covid cruise, and we are so ready to be cruising again!! Not our first suite but first on The Edge. My question is are you able to order off the other menus in Luminae? My DH loves escargot and orders it almost every night. It wasn’t a problem on our previous cruises, but Luminae was near the other kitchens and of course on the Edge it is not. Thank you so much for all the updates, enjoying following your cruise!

Thanks, Kim

1 hour ago, VikingRob said:

We are on the Feb 6 sailing in a aft sky suite. This will be our first post covid cruise, and we are so ready to be cruising again!! Not our first suite but first on The Edge. My question is are you able to order off the other menus in Luminae? My DH loves escargot and orders it almost every night. It wasn’t a problem on our previous cruises, but Luminae was near the other kitchens and of course on the Edge it is not. Thank you so much for all the updates, enjoying following your cruise!

Thanks, Kim

First, escargot is on the menu at Luminae every night, so rest assured.  It's very good.   It is hard to order off main dining menus on the Edge class ships.  The kitchens are not near each other.  Some servers will do it, others will say no.  It is a big ask.  If you want something special, I suggest asking the day before. They are truly eager to please.  

• Like 2