Diamond 4 free drinks question

16 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

Recently been on a couple ships with a bar in the Spa.  Those drinks are also included like the power shakes, power aid, etc,  The milk shakes at Johnny Rockets are NOT included as that is not a "Bar".  But I got a Diet Coke at Johnny Rockets which was included as part of my six.

The adult shakes are included in drinks package so I presume vouchers

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Is that bar open and serving alcoholic drinks on disembarkation morning?

Yes bar up in Windjammer on Navigator is open on disembarkation morning. Got a champagne for making my own Mimosa, then when leaving got some Truly hard seltzer’s to take back to the room.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

Any drink you want is approved...if it costs $13 or less, your vouchers on your Sea Pass will cover it.  If it costs more than $13, you pay the difference plus gratuity on the difference.

Works great!  I think you'll enjoy your new freedom with your free drinks.  If you go to the DL, there are hors d'oeuvres during happy hour, but you use vouchers for drinks.

Did this change? I thought it was unlimited drinks as long as you remained in there. I would usually go in for 2 or 3 drinks and then go to the bars to start using my vouchers.

1 minute ago, Virtopia said:

Did this change? I thought it was unlimited drinks as long as you remained in there. I would usually go in for 2 or 3 drinks and then go to the bars to start using my vouchers.

Yes, it changed with the new voucher system.  No unlimited drinks anymore in the DL.    We much prefer 5 (D+) drinks anytime we want them to a few hours in the evening only.

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, Virtopia said:

Yes, it has changed.  Prior to the change, you could have unlimited drinks during happy hour in the DL, but there was a limited drink list.  You could also buy your drinks (from the list) using your vouchers at other bars on the ship during happy hour.  Your vouchers were only good during happy hour.

NOW your vouchers are good all day long - not limited to happy hour.  They are good at any bar, and your drinks do not have to come from a limited list.

9 minutes ago, Virtopia said:

Sigh, guess it's time to ration out my 5 vouchers for the day. Let's hope I can stick to starting to drink around noon and pacing myself - thanks for the confirmation!

It's nice to have no time limits on the vouchers with the new system!  Before you could only use them between 4:30 and 8pm, during the DL happy hour.  Now you can use them any time you want.  In the old days, you could not use a voucher for a mimosa with breakfast or a bloody mary at lunch time - now you can!  They do expire at midnight, but that's way better than expiring at 8 or 8:30pm at the end of happy hour in the DL.

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Virtopia said:

Sigh, guess it's time to ration out my 5 vouchers for the day. Let's hope I can stick to starting to drink around noon and pacing myself - thanks for the confirmation!

Yes assuming you are diamond plus, you get 5 any time all day.

Good for those of us who arent big drinkers, can use for specialty coffee, I've read freeze squeeze oj but didnt try to get that. Bad if you drink more. Most like the change. 

6 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

It's nice to have no time limits on the vouchers with the new system!  Before you could only use them between 4:30 and 8pm, during the DL happy hour.  Now you can use them any time you want.  In the old days, you could not use a voucher for a mimosa with breakfast or a bloody mary at lunch time - now you can!  They do expire at midnight, but that's way better than expiring at 8 or 8:30pm at the end of happy hour in the DL.

I rarely used all three vouchers during that time frame. I don't drink much and that is a short time frame. I think this is a much better deal and we have far more diversify in drinks that we can try.

And though they expire at midnight, the next days vouchers are loaded at midnight so it works out.

48 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes, it changed with the new voucher system.  No unlimited drinks anymore in the DL.    We much prefer 5 (D+) drinks anytime we want them to a few hours in the evening only.

Concur, whole heartedly. The ability to use the Diamond perks throughout the ship and day is truly a great perk.

We were on Adventure last week, and I just loved this system - we had no bar bill at all.  In the past, we  would order a bottle of wine, or a couple of glasses of wine, with dinner each night, but D+ happy hour vouchers did not work in the MDR, specialties, or the Windjammer then - only in bars.   So we'd pay for the wine.  Now we can get wine by the glass with vouchers everywhere at dinner time.

Likewise, an afternoon Mojito for me, a beer for DH, would go on the bar bill.  Neither of us drink enough to warrant paying for a drink package, though, as our bar bill has never been more than $200 for a 7 night cruise.  This cruise, we just used our vouchers, and 5 apiece was plenty.  We used all 5 of them twice, but didn't use more than 4 the other days.  

We both ordered fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast, but since that's only about 3 or 4 bucks, we asked the waiter to charge us and not use vouchers.  (Hate to waste a voucher good for up to $13 on a $3 glass of OJ!)

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There are no bars open typically on that last morning, so the voucher value is somewhat diminished - you can get some booze added to your morning coffee.

The bars might not be open at 9:00am but they are open 9 hours earlier, at midnight. 😁 You can get your drinks then.

17 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

D+ happy hour vouchers did not work in the MDR,

I believe that changed went fleetwide in 2018. We were able to use our C&A HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards in the MDR (MTD) on our 2019 B2B Caribbean cruise on the Freedom. 

Edited by davekathy

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I believe that changed fleetwide in 2018. We were able to use our C&A HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards in the MDR (MTD) on our 2019 B2B Caribbean cruise on the Freedom. 

I have also used them in the Windjammer after that change.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I believe that changed fleetwide in 2018. We were able to use our C&A HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards in the MDR (MTD) on our 2019 B2B Caribbean cruise on the Freedom. 

I think that may have been when the 'new system' started, and I believe it had a lot to do with extreme crowding in the DLs.  Our last Royal cruise was in 2017, we cruised a couple of other lines in 2018 and 1019, then our planned Royal cruises in 2020 and 2021 didn't happen!  So our cruise last week was our first opportunity to try out the flexibility of the vouchers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foxgoodrich said:

I think that may have been when the 'new system' started, and I believe it had a lot to do with extreme crowding in the DLs.  Our last Royal cruise was in 2017, we cruised a couple of other lines in 2018 and 1019, then our planned Royal cruises in 2020 and 2021 didn't happen!  So our cruise last week was our first opportunity to try out the flexibility of the vouchers.

Could have been. In 2017 we did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Jewel. First leg we were not allowed to use our C&A HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards in the MDR (MTD) but we could on the second leg.  

3 hours ago, stuball2500 said:

The adult shakes are included in drinks package so I presume vouchers

Wonder if I can get an adult shake with the booze on the side with my drink package. Sometimes you just want a regular milkshake but I don't want to a pay for it if I have the package!